What made you smile today?

6,314 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, optimista said:

Would you have gone through the Nothing to Declare channel ?

I hadn't thought that far yet.  What do you think?  Figure I'd have gotten away with it?

I thought the UK couldn't sell their fish anywhere these days. Are they shipping them all to the U.S.? Is flying them to the U.S. cheaper than trucking them into the EU? More profit?

In my neighbourhood, people often leave boxes of old stuff in front of their houses for others to take. Walking around the other day, I spotted this lot in front of one house...turns out I'm not the only Englishman in the village. Made me smile.

618381cfc7f3f_PXL_20211028_061759907(1).

Its optimistic to expect anyone outside the UK (or even in the UK but far from Birmingham!) to understand Jasper Carrott.

(The nutter on the bus...)

But maybe its some German family trying to get rid of something the mad English Verwandschaft had given them.

46 minutes ago, HEM said:

Its optimistic to expect anyone outside the UK (or even in the UK but far from Birmingham!) to understand Jasper Carrott.

(The nutter on the bus...)

But maybe its some German family trying to get rid of something the mad English Verwandschaft had given them.

I love Jasper Carrott. And I'm German. OK; Bavarian - "a echte Münchnerin", to be precise.

I asked for two cans of beer  outside the local kiosk a few minutes ago. A couple of young men heard me and both said " was für ein schönes Akzent Sie haben. Sind sie Holländer?"

👍 I am truly back in Harburg. My Holländersein accent is back!😂

A new penalty is introduced in Germany: auto- and motorcycle posing: useless driving back and forth by car or motor causing unnecessary noise and avoidable exhaust gas pollution. Fine €100,-

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

A new penalty is introduced in Germany: auto- and motorcycle posing: useless driving back and forth by car or motor causing unnecessary noise and avoidable exhaust gas pollution. Fine €100,-

Not new, but more expensive than before.

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

useless driving back and forth by car or motor causing unnecessary noise and avoidable exhaust gas pollution. Fine €100,-

The 17 year old me would have been fuming with the injustice. A Friday evening started with £5 worth of 4 star in the Datsun Sunny, half a dozen trips up and down the Esplanade with music blaring out of the Goodmans speakers, before practising a few handbrake turns in the Pavilion carpark. Various parts of that previous sentence highlight precisely why those evenings were indeed "useless", but at 17 I would not have been convinced.

Oh, and back then the police always seem to find time to issue 7-day-wonders...and I'm guessing (but can't remember) that perhaps back then they weren't allowed to issue on the spot fines.

14 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Probably 99% of the motorcycle riding I do is useless driving.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Yes, I can see them now - stopping motorcycles every weekend on the curvy, country roads.:rolleyes:

Actually there has been several attempts to forbid motorcycles on Sundays.   Luckily all failed until now.

At least motor cycles make a loud warning noise.

€bikes are very quiet and may be much faster and more dangerous than you think.