What made you smile today?

5,476 posts in this topic

On 5.4.2021, 21:27:25, AnswerToLife42 said:

No comment:

The team at Miniatur Wunderland (Hamburg) exceed themselves once again.

One of Germany's top tourist attractions.

44 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Not one, the German top tourist attraction.

Forget the stuff in Bavaria.

Just heard a rumour that my option of home office is going to be extended.

I'll take that commute time I would have had to take and put it into cycling every morning (weather permitting)..

On 4/7/2021, 3:41:01, HH_Sailor said:

I was there the day before the Italian section opened, we were allowed to preview it with all the technical bits in full view. I want to go back there and take the 'behind the scenes' tour.

These red squirrels with the tufty ears are the cutest g*ddammed thing on the whole fricking Earth, I love them so much.  Often I get to see them scouting around on neighbors' balconies across the Hof.

Today I had my very own squirrel and he was *straight chillin* on my balcony for fifteen minutes.  Apparently it had stashed a walnut, in the shell, in a flower box on my window sill.  No clue how long it had been there.  It came and chilled on the balcony railing, taking in the scenery for several minutes, then, when it was satisfied no one had followed it, went and retrieved its treat, and opened and ate the walnut a couple of feet from my face!!!  Ermagerd!!!  And it was considerate too, dropped all its shell fragments over the balcony so they either fell to the courtyard or on someone else's balcony, heh.  And afterwards it washed its little hands and face!!  Right-there!! Squeeeee!

I never knew that a squirrel feeder was a thing I need, but welp, there you go.  We don't have walnut trees on our grounds and they are not in season anyway AFAIK.  Someone must have left it out for him, and I reaped the reward!  I am going to start leaving treats out for them too.  Now only to figure out how to make sure he eats it on my balcony.  So.  Effing.  Cute. Squee overload.

23 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

These red squirrels with the tufty ears are the cutest g*ddammed thing on the whole fricking Earth, I love them so much.  Often I get to see them scouting around on neighbors' balconies across the Hof.

Today I had my very own squirrel and he was *straight chillin* on my balcony for fifteen minutes.  Apparently it had stashed a walnut, in the shell, in a flower box on my window sill.  No clue how long it had been there.  It came and chilled on the balcony railing, taking in the scenery for several minutes, then, when it was satisfied no one had followed it, went and retrieved its treat, and opened and ate the walnut a couple of feet from my face!!!  Ermagerd!!!  And it was considerate too, dropped all its shell fragments over the balcony so they either fell to the courtyard or on someone else's balcony, heh.  And afterwards it washed its little hands and face!!  Right-there!! Squeeeee!

I never knew that a squirrel feeder was a thing I need, but welp, there you go.  We don't have walnut trees on our grounds and they are not in season anyway AFAIK.  Someone must have left it out for him, and I reaped the reward!  I am going to start leaving treats out for them too.  Now only to figure out how to make sure he eats it on my balcony.  So.  Effing.  Cute. Squee overload.

They really are cute. They've been visiting me, too, pinching the bird seed. It's red even though it looks black on the photo. The photo is bad qualitiy, I took it from the other side of the window pane. 

100_4605%2B%25283%2529.JPG

They do eat all of your bird food unless you have squirrel-proof feeders like my parents had. They also took every single pecan off of my mom's massive pecan tree every single year. We never thought they were so cute, especially when they got in the attic and made babies there. Ours were grey squirrels. I would equate them with pigeons here.

Grey squirrels are originally from North America. They displace the red squirrels in Europe. It's a real problem. In England they already took measures to eliminate/control the grey species.

7 hours ago, bramble said:

They really are cute. They've been visiting me, too, pinching the bird seed. It's red even though it looks black on the photo. The photo is bad qualitiy, I took it from the other side of the window pane. 

We have a red squirrel who somehow manages to enter our bird table/house at times - yesterday a red tail was hanging out of the house...

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Grey squirrels are originally from North America. They displace the red squirrels in Europe. It's a real problem. In England they already took measures to eliminate/control the grey species.

This includes if one is caught in a trap it must not be released back into the wild - must be killed.

In Germany red squirrels are a protected species: 

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasisches_Eichh%C3%B6rnchen#Status,_Bedrohung_und_Schutz

In Germany, the squirrel belongs to the "specially protected species" according to the Federal Species Protection Ordinance as a native species. The animals may therefore not be hunted, trapped, killed or kept privately. Likewise, nests may not be removed or emptied.

So please encourage them whenever you can. I see them quite often when walking in the park or even in the street here.  They vary in colour sometimes, I've seen black ones in the park occasionally.  Fortunately, I haven'r seen any of the North-American grey squirrels so far. 

Saw a almost-black one a few hundred metres from our house whilst walking the dog 2 days ago.

The one who visits our bird house is bright orange...

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Saw a almost-black one a few hundred metres from our house whilst walking the dog 2 days ago.

The one who visits our bird house is bright orange...

We have a mixed couple here in the neighborhood.

15 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We never thought they were so cute, especially when they got in the attic and made babies there. Ours were grey squirrels

Yup, agree on the grey ones, but really here we are so lucky to be treated to the red ones.

I am happy to feed the birds, but am frankly ecstatic to feed the squirrels, they are fantabulous - we had a hazel tree which we had to allow the neighbour to remove and since then visits are sadly rare. 

@dessa_dangerous if your chap becomes a regular, you could do an assault course, you could film it, it would be a real 'thing' - mapleleafdude used to post videos of his baby rabbits which were adorable,  but your squirrel would be even more awesome....

@kiplette yeah, yesterday I was afraid to even breathe, for fear of scaring it off.  Even before going closer to the window, I had coughed from inside the living room and startled it.  I stood stock still for what seemed like an eon while it ate and scouted and occasionally looked in the window.  I don't know much about squirrels but I was sure if I stayed absolutely still, it would permit me to continue observing it through the glass!

When I figure out the feeder, I will absolutely set up a camera on a mini-tripod so all I have to do is press the button.  I even have the perfect hiding place for it since the whole joint is filled with plants, I'll just stick the camera in between pots which should help sneaking up and skulking back away without being noticed.