What made you smile today?

5,381 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

The gravestones of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband, who were not allowed to be buried in the same cemetery because of their religion, 1888

That is touching... *ahem*.

Good on you. I'm sure that many of us are guilty of the same random acts of kindness.

Too bad we only hear about the negative stories.

I was stood outside the mall today, a little puzzled and trying to figure out where to put my bike.  They're doing construction in that street and dozens of Einkaufzentrum bike parking spots were axed because of it.  Lately I'd been lucky but today there were just no spots.  Right as I was looking around deciding across what street I would have to leave my bike (also difficult--the intersection being ripped up is also home to a subway station and a Rathaus and 923479238479 shops), it was looking desperate when out of nowhere one of the mall-penner offered me his spot!!! :o His bike was leaned against the rack but not locked because he is a professional in-front-of-the-mall-chiller.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  Been shopping there for 14 years.  Nothing could have surprised me more.  Definitely brightened my day.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Good on you. I'm sure that many of us are guilty of the same random acts of kindness.

Too bad we only hear about the negative stories.

You‘ll like this one then - the perfect example of an entitled, selfish German delivering a random act of kindness B)

A few years ago there was a day when I needed to do some shopping, so I stopped in a very expensive pay parking lot near the first store.  I was sitting in the driver’s seat of my car, with my wallet in my hand, counting my cash to make sure I had enough to make my purchases, and preparing to get out of the car.

Suddenly, the driver’s door was pulled open from outside – no warning.  It caught me completely by surprise, and my first thought was, “Damn!  I’m getting robbed in broad daylight in a parking lot!”

I looked up, and standing there was an much older German man, who explained to me that he had come to my town for an appointment, which finished much earlier than expected.  He said he had a gift for me, and with a magnanimous flourish he handed me a paid Parkschein that was good for the next three hours!  As I said, the lot was expensive, so the Parkschein was quite valuable.

Flustered, all I could do was thank him and wish him a good weekend.  He beamed at me, knowing he had done his good deed for the day, and took off without another word.

I only needed to stay for a short time, so when I got back to my car I waited a few minutes and did the same, waylaying the next unsuspecting shopper and handing her the Parkschein (minus the yanking open of the driver’s door).

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

His bike was leaned against the rack but not locked because he is a professional in-front-of-the-mall-chiller.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Doubtful.  Based on your self-descriptions, you are tall and scary :lol:  He probably thought you would decide to toss his unlocked bike into the street.

1 minute ago, dessa_dangerous said:

:( I am tall and not at all scary IMO

My ex-wife is 1,98m tall.  I am 1,66m tall.

Hey, babe.  How you doin’?  B)

36 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

pro tip: you have to indicate that it's the Joey from Friends "how you doin'," otherwise it just reads a little creepy ;) 

Good point.  ^_^

My favorite line back in the day was to just walk up to tall women, and say, „You know, i really like tall women.  Do you mind if I stand next to you?“. Worked more times than I can count :lol:

10 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

My ex-wife is 1,98m tall.  I am 1,66m tall.

Hey, babe.  How you doin’?  B)

I had a friend who was even shorter than you, and he loads of giant friends that were girls. Like 190+

I asked him if he knew why tall girls liked him so much. He didn't. My suggestion:

All girls are giants to you. You don't see the difference between a 170, 180, or 190 cm girl. They are all giants to you, and years ago you learnt to interact well with them.

The really tall girls like that you don't see them any differently from normal girls. That you are not awed by their height.

I didn't learn my own lesson. I was still awed and dumbstruck around his giants even though I love a tall woman myself.

45 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I had a friend who was even shorter than you, and he loads of giant friends that were girls. Like 190+

I bet he was a great dancer.