What made you smile today?

5,286 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yes, he never lost his sense of humour. Great that two very old people engage in such an official ceremony.

Moore's a gallant old gent who well deserves this honor!

Life has its own circle. When I first arrived in Harburg ( Hamburg ) about 30 years ago, my first beer on my first evening was at the Consortium bar. Met a bloke there who asked me where I was from etc and we got on well and he said I could kip in his spare room as I had nowhere planned to stay. We became friends and I stayed there for a year!

His friend soon afterwards signed me up for a health insurance contract contract, which turned out to be super dodgy and ( cutting a long story short ) was the reason I got into the insurance business...

Anyway, the Consortium had live music - my future doctor played the sax there, Jimmy sang his early 60s stuff there, Kevin Bloody Wilson played there once. Etc!

A couple of years ago, the owner died and the place closed down. Shame.

My partner Nicole got the call today from her son - his girlfriend has gone into labour there today and Nicole will become a grandmum today or tomorrow.

What we didn’t know- the Consortium is now a Geburtshaus! The baby will be born in my ex- watering hole!👍🏼
The circle closes!

17 minutes ago, john g. said:

It’s a boy!👍🏼

Figures. :D

All the best!!!

( secret true story for Sannerl )..

..way back then in 1988 when the gender of a child was unknown until birth- as far as I can remember ).. my then pregnant wife was hoping for a boy and to call him Felipe because her brother’s name was Felipe and he died whilst hitchhiking and picked up by a drunk driver ) but I was hoping for a girl because I had heard they would be there to console you if you were very ill (PS: my mother left us two brothers for another man when we were young - so, yep- ah, well..) and when the girl was born, I had a daughter! 

My ex-wife later had a son and she called him Felipe. 
I still have my daughter, Silvia. Bless her.
And we all have our childhood traumas.. we do.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

( secret true story for Sannerl )..

My "Figures" was for the Consortium now being a Geburtshaus... what a place to be born...

My brother was born in a flat above a Wirtshaus.

All the best to you your partner Nicole And to the newborn Baby; John G. May God bless him.

Congratulations to everyone, @john g.! I hope all continues to go well. :) 

This seems to be a year for boys - four in my family already for 2020. Last year it was six girls.

18 minutes ago, Magmax said:

All the best to you your partner Nicole And to the newborn Baby; John G. May God bless him.

Thank you, Magmax! You are a young person full of kindness! Just to say, though- Nicole is now a grandmother and not the mother of the baby! And, despite internet rumours ( including aggressive CIA emails!), I am not the father!👍🏼🙏🏻😂 ( I had brewer’s droop that day!)😂

If you had bought £1000 worth of shares in Delta Airlines a year ago, you would have £49 today.
£1000 of shares in AIG - £33 today
£1000 of shares in Lehman Brothers - £0 today
£1000 of shares in Northern Rock building society three years ago - £0 today
But if you had bought £1000 worth of reasonably priced canned beer one year ago, drank the beer, then taken the aluminium cans to the scrap dealer - you would have received £214. Based on the above facts - the best current investment plan is to drink heavily and recycle...

Yes i kinow John G : All the best to the child His parrents and you and Nicole as Grandparents. You desrve all the Kindness.

19 hours ago, john g. said:

Thank you, Magmax! You are a young person full of kindness! Just to say, though- Nicole is now a grandmother and not the mother of the baby! And, despite internet rumours ( including aggressive CIA emails!), I am not the father!👍🏼🙏🏻😂 ( I had brewer’s droop that day!)😂

I came across these two articles this week, both of which made me smile.

The first is about an increase in the demand for cosmetic surgery since the lockdown. people are seeing themselves in video conferences a lot more than normal, and, apparently, a lot of people don’t like what they see.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/20/why-cosmetic-surgery-on-rise-hours-staring-at-ourselves-zoom

The second is about a new app with the sounds of an office, for people working from home. They are starting to miss the everyday noise in an office, so this app can make it feel more normal for them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/noises-off-and-on-again-listening-out-for-the-sounds-of-a-new-normal-1.4318969

Messi is often on his own planet. His second goal was denied. He got a great assist from Frenkie de Jong and apparently Messi made hands, but there is no evidence?