What made you smile today?

5,589 posts in this topic

I chatted to a Brit this afternoon down at the beach in front of his camper van. It turned out he was the first person I had ever met who was a Ten Pound Pom!😂
10 quid by boat from England to Australia as a teenager in the 60s!

Just a guess- only keefy and wulfrun on here will know the term. Or maybe bramble?

There was quite a lot of discussion about it some years back triggered by an anniversary, so it's more well known than you imagine.

Very interesting to have met one. Did he have a good experience back then? My sister went when she was mid-20s - it cost her somewhat more than a tenner!

A German lady friend told me that her 2-year-old son knows the words "Corona-Virus" and "Corona-Krise" since he hears them all the time on TV and radio. 

11 hours ago, kiplette said:

There was quite a lot of discussion about it some years back triggered by an anniversary, so it's more well known than you imagine.

Very interesting to have met one. Did he have a good experience back then? My sister went when she was mid-20s - it cost her somewhat more than a tenner!

Evening, kiplette!🙏🏻
Well, he told us he went with his parents and brother and sister and by ship, of course. They ended up in Perth.

They were put up in a kind of a hostel and all got jobs. The sister, who was a bit older , moved to Sydney after a while and our friend (John ) eventually also moved there.

Then his parents, after three years or so, moved back to the UK and then he also went back.

He enjoyed it! But it was time to move on. Then he eventually went to the Canary Islands for about 20 years.

He and his wife are in their camper van at our local beach- where everything is closed down now, of course, and they want to go back to the UK where their kids and grandkids are but are not allowed to even travel more than about 20 kilometres in any direction. So they can‘t leave...

11 hours ago, kiplette said:

Evening, kiplette!🙏🏻
Well, he told us he went with his parents and brother and sister and by ship, of course. They ended up in Perth.

They were put up in a kind of a hostel and all got jobs. The sister, who was a bit older , moved to Sydney after a while and our friend (John ) eventually also moved there.

Then his parents, after three years or so, moved back to the UK and then he also went back.

He enjoyed it! But it was time to move on. Then he eventually went to the Canary Islands for about 20 years.

He and his wife are in their camper van at our local beach- where everything is closed down now, of course, and they want to go back to the UK where their kids and grandkids are but are not allowed to even travel more than about 20 kilometres in any direction. So they can‘t leave...

Edit- whoops, sorry about the double posting.. pressed the wrong button!😂

Interesting, thank you, John. 

How times have changed - when my sister went, she could only get residency if she had a job they needed (teacher) and she was posted to a crappy job (Alice Springs - really interesting for about 3 days, thereafter quite grim and very expensive) before taking years to gradually get jobs nearer places which suited her better.

Sorry to hear that your new friends are stranded - at least there are two of them and they are safe. Not very holiday-ish though.

Thank you so much tor for that beautifully amazing performance. Complete goosebumps and 3 or 4 tears shed.

Off to watch his other stuff.

Out with a dog and there was a snake on the path between the olive trees. Roza, the dog , was fine about it. The snake was also fine about it. So I decided to be fine about it as well.

But I wasn’t really!

• Google "wizard of oz"
  • click the ruby slippers
  • wait
  • click the tornado

you should probably drop acid at some point ahead of time.