What made you smile today?

5,012 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

Oh, that's brilliant. I like that the 20c part was the winner.

I know, right? Thing is that to ship it off to be repaired, we would have to pay shipping plus € 135 for them just to look at it. Then would come labor, parts, etc. He did a good job!

How can I make a new post ? 
I will need some advisory on a tax return topic in relation to secondhouse hold with a loan purchase home ( since I want to quit to rent it ) 

1 minute ago, Nicolaxb said:

How can I make a new post ? 
I will need some advisory on a tax return topic in relation to secondhouse hold with a loan purchase home ( since I want to quit to rent it ) 

Click on the symbol at the top right of the page. Choose "Forums". Click on the relevant category. Then click on "Start new topic".

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I know, right? Thing is that to ship it off to be repaired, we would have to pay shipping plus € 135 for them just to look at it. Then would come labor, parts, etc. He did a good job!

And as you say, you have essentially almost got a new machine now. For less than having someone else replace the 20c part, which is a total win-win. Brownie points for Himself!

50 minutes ago, HEM said:

You cannot make this up:

@sarabyrd has a friend whose husband works with the guy. Friend swears the story is true.

A German firefighter hung up on Angela Merkel after she tried to congratulate him for his efforts during the coronavirus outbreak, because he believed that she was a prank caller.

The German Chancellor was forced to twice phone a volunteer fire brigade in her constituency and thank them for their efforts during the coronavirus outbreak, after the first call was quickly terminated.

At around 7pm on Monday, Merkel called to thank the Bergen Fire Brigade in Rugen, north-east Germany, who have placed themselves in voluntary isolation during the coronavirus outbreak, the newspaper Nordkurier reported.

But when the brigade's fire chief André Muswieck picked up the phone to the chancellor, he assumed he was being pranked by a radio station and promptly hung up.

"I didn't want to be the laughing stock of [German radio journalist] Leif Tennemann and I ended the conversation immediately," he told the Nordkurier.

The chancellor was undeterred, however, and called back shortly afterwards, at which point the firemen realised he wasn't being pranked and the entire team joined the call.

Merkel then thanked the volunteer firefighters, who have been in isolation for two weeks at their fire station, away from their families, in order to ensure they can keep responding to emergency calls.

Full story

Today I saw that a 104 year old veteran in Lebanon, OR recently recovered from Covid-19!  This reminded me of my very own amazing great-grandmother, who survived the 1918 pandemic, and was able to meet my children, her great-greats, in 1993.  So I dug around for her stats.  (Thank you for those Scottish and Irish genes :D). 

Daisy Stewart (née McCardell; 7 May 1888 – 9 January 1999) was an American supercentenarian whose age has been validated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). She was one of the oldest known people in Louisiana, USA, when she died.

Age: 110 years, 247 days   (was born, and died, in Louisiana, USA)

Her claim was verified by the Kestenbaum Study.

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

forget Toilet papier and weed, why aren't we panic buying Beer and grilling charcoal in Germany !

The local Real has had its beer stocks decimated, someone is panic buying it...

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

The local Real has had its beer stocks decimated, someone is panic buying it...

Or just another Saturday at Rewe? Ours is always out of Augi Weissbier.

I had my first social contact today in 25 days! A girlfriend rang me and said she was on her bicycle in front of my house. I went to the balcony and we "visited" over the phone while looking at each other. We got to wave and blow kisses. I'm on the 7th floor. She is so damn thoughtful! It really brightened my day. Most of you know her.