What made you smile today?

4,721 posts in this topic

This -

Malaysia has sent back 150 containers of plastic waste to 13 mainly rich countries since the third quarter last year, with the environment minster warning on Monday that those who want to make the country a rubbish bin of the world can “dream on.”

Shipments of unwanted rubbish have been rerouted to Southeast Asia since China banned the import of plastic waste in 2018, but Malaysia and other developing countries are fighting back.

Environment Minister Yeo Bee Yin said another 110 containers are expected to be sent back by the middle of this year.

Yeo said the successful repatriation of a total 3,737 metric tonnes (4,120 U.S. tons) of waste followed strict enforcement at key Malaysian ports to block smuggling of waste and shuttering more than 200 illegal plastic recycling factories.

Of the 150 containers, 43 were returned to France, 42 to the United Kingdom, 17 to the United States, 11 to Canada, 10 to Spain and the rest to Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Portugal, China, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Lithuania, her ministry said.

She said the Malaysian government didn't pay a single cent, with the costs of sending back the waste fully borne by the shipping liners and companies responsible for importing and exporting the waste.

Yeo said talks were ongoing with U.S. authorities to take back another 60 containers this year. Canada also has 15 more containers, Japan 14, the U.K. 9 and Belgium 8 from 110 more containers that are still being held at Malaysian ports, she said.

“If people want to see us as the rubbish dump of the world, you dream on," Yeo told reporters during inspection at a port in northern Penang state.

Yeo said the government will launch an action plan on illegal plastic importation next month that will help the different agencies coordinate enforcement and speed up the process of returning the waste.

“Our position is very firm. We just want to send back (the waste) and we just want to give a message that Malaysia is not the dumping site of the world," she added.

I also noticed that Germany isn't on the list. Yay!

But all over the internet, in quite recent articles, Germany is also listed as one of the main offenders.  

19 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

But all over the internet, in quite recent articles, Germany is also listed as one of the main offenders.  

Fair enough but the latest article I have found about Germany sending plastic to Malaysia was in 2018. There were legal plastic recycling factories but, as the article says, there were at least 200 illegal ones. Those are the ones most likely to be dumping it in the ocean.

I just hope the trend will stop as all of the rich countries are capable of recycling their own plastic and putting laws in place where not so much plastic is used.

The bakery in my local supermarket were selling vanilla Krapfen  at 2 for 3 Euros :rolleyes:

Then again I can remember when jam doughnuts cost a tanner at the local bakery...

Today in my crowded corner cafe 2 sweet boys about 10 YO petted my adorable pom mix.  Then one said:

"He has an underbite!"

me - "Yes he sure does."

"Oh. I have an underbite too!" and he flashed a big smile.

The whole place was grinning.  Too cute.  Maybe even cuter cuz it was all in German.  :D  Makes me smile every time I think about it.

I have visitors today... A friend and her hubby... They brought a friend with them..

When she smiled... I had to smile too!!    :wub:

19 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Today in my crowded corner cafe 2 sweet boys about 10 YO petted my adorable pom mix.  Then one said:

"He has an underbite!"

me - "Yes he sure does."

"Oh. I have an underbite too!" and he flashed a big smile.

The whole place was grinning.  Too cute.  Maybe even cuter cuz it was all in German.  :D  Makes me smile every time I think about it.

It is the small actions in life that bring simple joy.

We got to visit a friend's estate today on our way home from Düsseldorf. It was so rustic and lovely with oodles of character. Best cuppa tea I ever had, to boot. Even got to meet his beautiful daughter! My life is complete for this week.

23 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We got to visit a friend's estate today on our way home from Düsseldorf. It was so rustic and lovely with oodles of character. Best cuppa tea I ever had, to boot. Even got to meet his beautiful daughter! My life is complete for this week.

Yep...over 9 years since firyt/last saw her!!  Only one of a handful of tters that have shared my joys

And as you saw... Not a single pferdapfel in site to chuck back at j2

RLP 1 are playing only British songs today, someone has a sense of humour. They've played Streets of London, Don't You Want Me by Human League, Where ever I lay my hat by Paul Young, classic lines like:

By the look in your eye
I can tell you're gonna cry.

If it is, save your tears
for I'm not worth it, you see.

It had to be done. It was a tough decision. Had been lying awake for months and years fretting . But it had to be done...I now have Windows10!

:lol:

So hours on the sofa relaxing whilst our technician was on TeamViewer!

IMG_2871.jpg