What made you smile today?

4,406 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuj7sXVnIU

Lovely gentleman showing how linen was processed for centuries in Co. Donegal.

Now feel inspired to grow a patch of flax next year, while we still have slaves at home to bash and crush it.

Also lovely comments underneath from people like me who unexpectedly happened upon the film and smiled too!

46 minutes ago, Clive2677 said:

Smile?    This would bring tears to my eyes.

With a bitter smile, this brings bitter tears to mine.

DC081419-new.jpg

The words on this plaque placed on the base of the Statue of Liberty in 1903 are the last three sentences in Lazarus' poem, The New Colossus.
'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.  I lift my lamp beside the golden door.'

From Artnet News:
A Trump administration official has proposed an update to one of the most famous statues in the world.  

In an effort to justify a strict new immigration policy targeting poor families and individuals to help restrict legal immigration, Ken Cuccinelli has offered a less-than-poetic rewrite of the plaque on the Statue of Liberty.  

Where Emma Lazarus’s “The New Colossus” offered unconditional welcome, proclaiming, “Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,” Cuccinelli, the acting head of Citizenship and Immigration Services, offered a revision when asked by NPR if the lines of the poem were “part of the American ethos.”  

“They certainly are—give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge,” said Cuccinelli...

16 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I wonder if he realized there are brown ppl in Greenland. 

I expect he thinks hopes Greenlanders all look like this.

5d58536900e94_vikingwoman.jpg.ad8a56cf37

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

I expect he thinks hopes Greenlanders all look like this.

5d58536900e94_vikingwoman.jpg.ad8a56cf37

Maybe he thinks it's like when you buy a house.  The former owner has to move out before you take possession.

Wait till Trump finds out the inhabitants also speak Danish, which is like putting a finger in your mouth and then trying to speak Swedish.
And when he gets tired of them, where can he send them home to?

6 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Wait till Trump finds out the inhabitants also speak Danish, which is like putting a finger in your mouth and then trying to speak Swedish.
And when he gets tired of them, where can he send them home to?

If he doesn't want to give them US passports, I suppose he could send them to Denmark.