What made you smile today?

4,005 posts in this topic

I remember  BBC radio interview with a man who collected road kill when cycling to his girlfriend in the '60s.

When asked what hedgehog tasted like, he replied 'well, have you eaten ferret'?

BTW

Can't get grey squirrel round our way, only the fun sized red critters...

I had a website enquiry this evening from a Professor with 2 PhDs.

I wrote him:  “ insurance companies don’t like clever people.”

His answer: “ ok, don’t tell them then!”

Cute!

😂

PhD's gotta brag. It's in their genes. 

My ex FIL got his at Oxford and would never use the title. He was Mr. Rubin. (and American)

Mr. Rubin, fraufruit? That’s pretentious! Why not just Colin or David?

😂

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

PhD's gotta brag. It's in their genes. 

My ex FIL got his at Oxford and would never use the title. He was Mr. Rubin. (and American)

I remember meeting a PhD guy at a party in London yonks ago. He couldn’t find work. He told me he was overqualified!

” What did you write about in your thesis?” ( my question)

He: “ it was about the influence certain friends of Mussolini had on his political outlook . “

( or something like that!😂 )

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

I remember meeting a PhD guy at a party in London yonks ago. He couldn’t find work. He told me he was overqualified!

If someone really thinks he's not getting jobs because he has too much education, he should just leave it off his CV and see if it helps.  I don't know if it was the case with this guy but some bosses are definitely worried about hiring someone who has more education than they have.

On May 10, 2019 at 8:58:24 AM, HH_Sailor said:

I remember  BBC radio interview with a man who collected road kill when cycling to his girlfriend in the '60s.

When asked what hedgehog tasted like, he replied 'well, have you eaten ferret'?

BTW

Can't get grey squirrel round our way, only the fun sized red critters...

Apparently you wrap the hedgehog( dead!) in wet clay, cook it in the fire( proper Romany campfire). When cooked, you break the hardened clay , and the spines come off with the clay.

I remember reading it in "Bunty", so must be true^_^

When I was 19, Leon, I had just got back from living for a year in Bonn as i had done " A " Level German at High School in England but wanted to actually learn to speak the language. It had been my favourite subject at school.

Before I left Germany...things had happened and my dream was to go to South America...so I went back  to England and wanted to earn fast money to be able to afford a plane ticket to somewhere in South America.

The local paper my Dad read had an ad in it: " worker required for plastics factory immediately ."

I had no idea about factory work but went for the interview and told them I had a couple of " A " levels. The interviewer asked me if I didn´t think I was overqualified for factory work.

I said: " no, I want to be a good worker  " or some bullshit like that.

I got the job, hated every moment of it.and 18 months later had the money for a Laker Flight from Luxembourg to the Bahamas!

Then I ran out of money on the first day!!

:lol:

On 5/10/2019, 5:25:17, tor said:

Written by a Prof at my alma mater,

5cd597d4bfbd7_flattenedfauna.JPG.cfce049

Tor old chap, in a related vein perhaps you may be interested in the charming book by Lady Cottington.

https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Cottingtons-Pressed-Fairy-Book/dp/0810959429

In the 1800s the charming aforementioned lady began a dialogue with the fairies in her garden, occasioning to catch and preserve some of them between book covers. In our more enlightened times the idea of squashing those delicate beings might offend the senses somewhat, yet the book remains a valid documentation of those beings. A picture will illustrate:

Image result for pressed fairies

I thankfully am unmolested by these beings in my own garden given that I deploy liberal sprayings of fairycide. More instagrams may be inspected here:

https://www.pinterest.com/ebsjam/lady-cottington-s-pressed-fairies/

21 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Apparently you wrap the hedgehog( dead!) in wet clay, cook it in the fire( proper Romany campfire). When cooked, you break the hardened clay , and the spines come off with the clay.

I remember reading it in "Bunty", so must be true^_^

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/hedgehog-flavoured-crisps

Remember this, Red?

(not that I am presuming you are old-ish:D)

I remember buying hedgehog-flavoured crisps in a supermarket in South Kensington in London and later finding out there was a Hedgehog Preservation Society in England!

I saw a talk show some years ago where some woman exclaimed that "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve".  There were some gay guys on the show and one of them said to her, "My name is Steve and who are you to say who God did or didn't create?".  Shut her up good :)