What made you smile today?

3,251 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mr Paxton said:

I love dog behaviour, it's incredibly adorable but that rolling in dead things - I will never get used to it. Three baths just to get the smell out and three days of almost vomiting every time they go near you. They won't ever make the connection between your distance and them rolling in dead stink so they will continue to do it, unfortunately. 

You would assume that with their incredible sense of smell, it would be even worse but apparently, they love it. Strange creatures!

They do it to mask their own smell to trick their prey as they are predators after all. They also like to roll in shit for this reason. 

St Nikolaus left something nice in my shoe last night! :D

Not only was it sweet, but it had the exact same thought behind it as one of my Christmas gifts for my boyfriend.

9 hours ago, bramble said:

They do it to mask their own smell to trick their prey as they are predators after all. They also like to roll in shit for this reason. 

I like this:

" I have another theory, however, which is of no scientific merit whatsoever. For human beings our dominant sense is vision while for dogs it is their sense of smell. Dogs, like people, enjoy sensory stimulation and may well be prone to seeking such stimulation to an excessive degree. Therefore, I believe that the real reason that canines roll in obnoxious smelling organic manner is simply an expression of the same misbegotten sense of aesthetics that causes human beings to wear overly loud and colorful Hawaiian shirts."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/200907/why-do-dogs-roll-in-garbage-manure-or-other-smelly-stuff

40 minutes ago, SpongeOver said:

St Nikolaus left something nice in my shoe last night! :D

Not only was it sweet, but it had the exact same thought behind it as one of my Christmas gifts for my boyfriend.

omg - reading the first sentence and associating it with pets...

we  had a cat that consistently pooped in my uncle's shoe any time he came to visit.  She would try (and sometimes succeeded) to push the other shoe on top to cover it up!  She never did this to anyone else.  He was special :) 

I'm glad your shoe gift was more appropriate and welcome!!!

I don't have kids, but, every time I hear another childless-by-choice person offer advice to a parent, this always comes to mind.

Image may contain: text

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

omg - reading the first sentence and associating it with pets...

In that case, I'd have been more concerned with the second sentence. Her poor boyfriend.