Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recording Sky To A DVR

8 posts in this topic

Hi Satman, I know you are out there because I have looked on the member list :D

I have a motorised setup. I use a Topfield DVR for driving the dish along with a Sky mini-box for decoding Sky programs. The chaps who did the installation set the system up so that I position to Astra using the Topfield and then have to switch the Topfield off then switch the Sky mini-box on to enable me to view Sky programs.

The problem that this gives me is that because the Topfield is switched off it means that I am unable to record Sky programs.

Is there any way that I can get around this other than to have a VCR which seems a bit of a waste as the Topfield has pretty good recording and playback facilities?

One other question while I am asking... is there any way to transfer recordings from the DVR to another media?

Hi Franky

Not sure there is an easy answer to your problem... well there is, but its not cheap.

I would recomend one of the New Panacronic DVD recorders. I am about to invest in one,

The advantage is that whatever you put into it, you get out on a dvd, which can be easilly manipulated with a PC.

Good choice with the Topfield... 4000 or 5000.?

If its a 5000 and you have a Top-end sony TV or 100hz TV, try taking all the picture enhancement setting off (from the TV)... just watch the difference.

Hope this helps.

G

Hi Satman.

The Topfield is the 4000. The 5000 was not out when I invested. I have to admit though I had originally wanted the Echostar DVR 7000 HDD VIACCESS but was persuaded out of it by the installers. Still the Topfield has got the twin tuners which the Echostar does not.

One thing that does annoy me about the Topfield is that when positioned to a program that requires a CAM, if you go to watch a recorded program and use the fast forward option and then return to the scrambled program, the CAM needs to be re-initialised by pulling it out and pushing it back in if.

Another bolt on I would like to see is on the program search. I would like the ability to show or suppress the display of pay channels from the channel list.

What about the recording of Sky programs to the DVR is that not possible?

I beleive that you can record from 3 sources...

I am not clued up as to why you need to re-initialize the cam, but I do know that you do...

Is this a Wizard/magicam type cam? legit or pirate? :rolleyes:

The Topfield range is also available with most ecryption systems embedded..

One of my best mate here is the European distributor for Topfeild!!!

www.satshop.de he will help if he can ( speaks perfect English too)

G

Franky,

Is the issue that the Digibox and the Topfield unit share the LNB? As only one can use the LNB at any given time, Digibox "sees" the LNB only when the Topfield is off.

Presumably, your setup either uses a passthrough connection from the Topfield to the Digibox or the installer put in an LNB switch. The switch would default to giving the connection to the Digibox but would switch to the Topfield when a 12v signal is output from the Topfield (when it is turned on).

With an LNB switch setup, you might be able to make the Topfield the default unit and use 12v control signal from the Digibox SCART socket to switch the the Digibox when it is turned on.

Getting an adaptor for the SCART socket (12V Control signal) to an LNB switch might be tricky though.

Ciao

JG.

P.S. Personally, I find it much easier giving the Digibox its own fixed dish.

Hi JG

The problem is that the way the other guys have connected the set-up, means that when the Topfield is switched off, there is no Vidoe signal route through..

As you say, separate feeds are better, but there is probably a reason why only one/two feeds are available.

G

Yes - I thought there might be an issue regarding a second dish.

If an LNB switch is introduced (instead of using feedthrough on the Topfield) it should be possible to allow the Digibox to grab the LNB when it needs it.

I have (in the past) done this the other way around with a Digibox and a Nokia 9800. In my case, I wanted the Nokia to grab the LNB when it was turned on. However, the Nokia has a handy 12V output which tells the LNB switch when to do switch.

This could work for Franky but the tricky part is that the LNB switch needs 12V from the Digibox when it is turned on. Maybe the control signal from the TV SCART could be used to make the LNB switch give the LNB to the Digibox... or perhaps the power (for TV Link) on the second RF output of the Digibox.

Ciao

JG

Hi

There is not enough current to run a separate switch without putting a small mechanical relay in line.

G