Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nuremberg to Czech Republic for weekend/day trip

5 posts in this topic

Karlovy Vary is the most boring place in Europe together with Marianske Lazne and other plentora places in Germany starting with "Bad". These places are normally populated by Russian tourists because they are cheap and "European", so they get Europe without European prices.

Apart from nature (Bohemian forest on the border with Bavaria) and Cesky Krumlov interesting places in Western Cz are:

1. Plzen (that's the brewery which gave name to the world's most popular beer sort, Pilsner)

2. Sedletz-Ossarium in Kutna Gora: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedletz-Ossarium

For skiing I recommend Zelezna Ruda/Spicak (near Bavarian border, direction Bayerisch Eisenstein) and Klinovec (near Saxony, Oberwiesental on German side). These places are also nice for hiking.

Never been to Karlovy Vary, but I'd heard it was nice. I guess I was wrong.

The Sedlec Ossuary in Kutná Hora is also interesting. I've been there twice. Since then, though, I've learned that there are many in Europe: http://www.worldsbiggests.com/2013/03/11-most-bizarre-european-ossuaries.html .

If Plzen is anything like Ceské Budejovice, it won't be that interesting.

There's also Terezin, a fortified town that was used as a concentration/labor camp/prison by the Austro-Hungarians (Gavrilo Principe died there, I think), the Germans, the Russians, and the Czechoslovaks.

But, yourkeau, you're from close to the border, so I'm sure you've been around there more than I have.

OP: it says you're in Frankfurt, by the way.