Gossipers

217 posts in this topic

I believe busy people with full, rich lives supported by purposeful personal, familial and social goals as well as active and profoundly satisfying professional lives directed toward creating sustainable and sustaining value (part of the life-affirming "Christian" agenda) tend not to have time for the banalities of redundant gossip and neither attract nor disseminate it.

well said, but completely ironic.

I have heard guys asking for "all the details" when they hear a chance remark, same as women. And I have heard men and women providing them gleefully. Passing on information is a great thing, it depends a lot on the attitude of both the gossiper and the gossipee on how that happens.

My apologies to Ms./Mr. O, whom I suspect is in direct contact with someone else who also has issues with a certain "Christian woman" and is perhaps even speaking/writing for this person.

(OK, caveat: Non-Christians stop reading now please or you'll start retching. )

Now for our sermon of the day regarding gossip and some standards for a "conversation sifter."

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up others according to their needs, that may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4-29)

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." (Psalm 1:1 KJV)

I'm backing off from all of this now, dear Ostabon, who most likely isn't the irascible person with whom I had an unpleasant encounter this morning. The potential for increased pain, embarrassment and wasted time is too great. "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (Proversbs 15:1) "Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it." (1 Peter 3:9)

No news travels like good news-- right? I hope all of this blows over soon, the famous "storm in a tea cup" (ha ha, Sleepless-- I'm using your quote :) ) and who ever it is that comments on your issues discontinues and the person with whom I am having issues (and has protracted and embarrassingly public issues on TT with others) also withdraws his/her drawn sword, so that I can disentangle myself from people and situations with whom I obviously don't share the same values or lifestyle. Aren't we glad we clarified that? :)

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matthew 5:9 KJV)

"Avoiding a fight is a mark of honor; only fools insist on quarreling." (Proverbs 20:3)

"Beginning a quarrel is like opening a floodgate, so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out." (Proverbs 17:14)

"To hide hatred is to be a liar; to slander is to be a fool." (Proverbs, 10:18)

"Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowmen." (Psalm 15:1-3)

"Since God has secured our destiny and promised to avenge all wrongs perpetrated against us, why engage in slander? I find it interesting that the Greek word for 'slander' is derived from diabolos, which means 'devil.' Slandering is an illegal, diabolical act that God abhors. When we attempt to defame others with our denigrating words, we are sowing evil sees for which we will surely reap the consequences. "He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens his lips shall have destruction." Proverbs 13:3) Today's Affirmation: I refuse to be a slanderer. I will use Philippians 4:8 as my conversation sifter. Therefore, whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, and of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy about someone, I comment only on these things." (Taming Your Tongue, D.S. Pegues, Harvest House Publishers, p. 45.)

End of sermon. :)

Guess what I heard..no really...I would have never guessed...him and her...no eggs or sperm...it sounds fantastical...so you are saying he was'nt even there in the room...in fact no physical presence at all...his dad...A VIRGIN...I just don't understand the concept...

Thus how books are written, so gossip can be quite powerful then.

@tartan

:D Certainly qualifies how Christains and women are the greatest gossipmongers.

off again. Different issue

trolling, eh? Have I started any "troll" threads? Answer: no.

but that is an interesting response.

How the heck are we suppose to know. According to your profile you've only started 2 threads this being one of them. Clearly you're hiding behind a second user name but don't expect anyone to take you word for it that you haven't started trolling threads.

People gossip because they are bored with their own lifes, immature, and/or insecure about people likely them.

I'm none of these and I have seen many times how much gossip can hurt people, so I don't do it. But some people have gone so low as to spread gossip that I was spreading gossip when I wasn't even living in this country.

I was also stupid enough to befriend a know gossiper because I felt bad for her. She was young and had alienated almost everyone on TT. I thought if I was nice to her and never gossiped to her (true or not true gossip) and expressed to her that I wasnt interested in hearing any gossip from her that she might learn a little. However after she left I found out she was just spreading a bunch of gossipy lies about me.

So what can you do? People will always gossip.

My apologies to Ms./Mr. O, whom I suspect is in direct contact with someone else who also has issues with a certain "Christian woman" and is perhaps even speaking/writing for this person.

I'm backing off from all of this now, dear Ostabon, who most likely isn't the irascible person with whom I had an unpleasant encounter this morning.

This is obviously aimed at me. When I have had problems on these lines, I have repeatedly spoken to you directly about them, and I do not need anyone else to speak for me, and given how many times I have complained, I have every right to be irascible about it.

I remain convinced that your exaggerated and distorted account of my reconciliation with a certain other tter has ruined things there.

My rant of the month:

Why is it, that the worse gossips I have ever met have consistantly, been the most openly professed Christian women?

and then, the irony of it all is that they complain about other gossipers!!! It's amazing really.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Look ma...It's me in the mirror!!!

Me...pointing to myself ???

He who is pure, and not sinned...may complain and bicker about others ...

Sorry... :)

Jip, gossip can be hurtful sometimes. I like to ask "the person" what there problem is...sometimes I get an answer and it turns out to be a big misunderstanding. BUT SOMETIMES...they dodge the question, and play all Innocent and "I don't know what you are on about" game :lol: . Honestly!!! If you cannot say it (the "gossip" or fact) to there face, then don't say it behing there back.

None of my business actually but i think i'm starting to get the hang of the thread, it looks like Andrew had a row with sun-by cos he thinks she said something to someone else who he quite likes and then edgebaston steamed in to his defence and Andrew now said he can fight his own battles but is pissed off with what happened , about right ? :unsure:

Edit : Not gossip, an attempted summation of a long and winding thread for those confused amongst us :huh:

Not me, sounds more like a kids playground in here :blink:

None of my business actually but i think i'm starting to get the hang of the thread, it looks like Andrew had a row with sun-by cos he thinks she said something to someone else who he quite likes and then edgebaston steamed in to his defence and Andrew now said he can fight his own battles but is pissed off with what happened , about right ?

No not exactly Dave. I am not saying who or what exactly I was referring to. I was speaking in general about gossip. I also only speak for myself. Not other people unless it is absolutely necessary. Like today at the asian restaurant at Marienplatz. A pregnant woman ordered sushi and the man at the counter reprimanded her for it. She told him that fish was OK for pregnant woman as long as it is fresh. He then took the tray back from her hand and said, "no, I will give you vegetarian sushi" she looked really flustered so I grabbed the

tray back and said, “I think she wants her fish! Unless of course you are saying that your fish here is not fresh?