Relocation to Nuremberg from Switzerland

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am relocating to Nuremberg in December,2014 with my husband. I went through a few forums regarding the lifestyle and the city itself, still there are few things which are not yet clear to me:

1. Based on what people wrote I concluded that North Nuremberg is better than South for renting apartment. Is it true? We are looking for a nice place near to the city center. A region which is not too crowded but at the same time should be near to the city center.

2. Can I hire some relocation company in Germany? Switzerland is quite expensive and I was wondering if I can get it done through some German company. B)

3. Is the work permit similar as the one in Switzerland? (Spouse is not allowed to work here for first 2 years as they have L permit, unless he/she finds an Employer who then applies for individual work permit for the spouse. After 2 years you get B permit and with this spouse is also allowed to work.)

4. Medical insurance is more or less similar as in Switzerland but does medical insurance pay for all the expenses related to pregnancy also? And is child birth also covered?

5. Though it won't really affect our relocation decision, but just for the sake of curiosity, in Switzerland government pays for the newborn baby 200 CHF per month till he/she is 13-14(not sure till when). Is it the same case in Germany also? ;)

6. Non-Indians may skip this question: Nuremberg / Erlangen / Fürth : which city has more Indian grocery shops and restaurants? :)

Looking forward for your answers.

Thanks

1. never lived in Nürnberg, so cannot say

2. Yes

3. Would your husband qualify for a Blue card? If yes, you will be eligible for a work permit that does not tie you to a company. If he does not qualify for the blue card, you can still work if you can find a company that is willing to go through the procedure to hire you. Easier if you have a professional Degree and the salary that the company is willing to pay is above the blue card minimum.

4. Medical expenses are covered

5. Yes, it is called Kindergeld have a read using the search engine.

6. Indian, still no clue.

Hi and welcome to TT. :)

1. The southern part of Nuremberg (directly south of the train station) traditionally has more of an inner-city industrial vibe. However, as you go further out, it gets quite nice and green. The northern part of Nuremberg is traditionally more middle-class and upward.

2. You can of course hire whoever you want. Please use the search function to find threads on removals/moving firms.

3. Please read the TT Wiki page on permits.

4. Please read the TT Wiki page on health insurance.

5. Please use the search function to find threads on Kindergeld.

A simple search (top right of the page) will give you threads with your key words in the thread title. From that results page, you can go on to do a Google-powered search, which will give you threads with your key words anywhere in the thread. You can also search specific sub-forums (e.g. Franken), by going to the bottom of the sub-forum page, where you will find a search box on the left. That search will give you threads in that sub-forum with your key words anywhere in the thread.

Thank you guyz for your quick replies.

angelbeast:

Coming to point 3: Yes he is eligible and his company will most probably apply for the same on our behalf. However I am still wondering how difficult would it be? Is it like whomsoever qualifies will get it or it's not sure? What is the probability..any idea? :)

the.frollein:

Thank you for the link. I am going through them ..I guess the best thing would be to visit Nuremberg on Weekend (since we are not very far) so that we can see which area suits us better..the main city (Altstadt) is in the South or North? :blink:

The main part of the Altstadt is just north of the train station, but I doubt you'll be able to find housing directly in the Altstadt. The southern part of the city starts just south of the train station - so as you can see, the main train station is kind of the border between north and south Nürnberg.

Have a look at these threads, they might hold some helpful information:

* Nuremberg family-friendly areas

* Choice of living in Nuremberg or Fürth

I doubt you'll be able to find housing directly in the Altstadt.

Why? The second place I looked at, the first day I looked, was in the Altstadt - and I was the only person who looked at it, and I got it. Gave me the impression it's not THAT difficult, as long as you're prepared to pay the Maklergebühr...certainly it was a breeze compared with Munich.

Another point - in order you for to be covered under your husband's health insurance, he'll need to be in the public system. From what you have posted, he may earn enough to go private (but he'll have the choice if he's taking up employment for the first time) - but then you wouldn't be included, and looking for your own insurance during pregnancy would make things difficult.

Hi there,

regarding what place to live:

You should not look under: Suedstadt (south city). When you physically walk out of the train station in Nuernberg and look to your left, driving/walking on the main road along the Frauentorgraben (wall that goes around the Altstadt). You will end up in areas like the Plaerrer, Gostenhof etc.

Also, if you walk behind the train station exiting through the Suedausgang that neighbourhood is the Suedstadt, and should be avoided.

Fuerth downtown is also not the place to be.

If you want to live in the middle of the Altstadt: St. Johannis area (where the bridges are before you reach the large Christmas market place) to the left is very popular. If you go a bit farther towards the castle, the area to the left and behind the castle walls are also great areas to live in.

A 10-20 min. Strassenbahn ride towards the Zoo of Nuernberg is also a good choice. Coming closer towards the Zoo has a more suburban feel and it's less crowded.

Also, google Martin Richter Strasse in Nuernberg. That's approx. a 10 min. Strassenbahn ride to the right at the train station and looks like a nice area. Visited a few times to check out some of their great thrift shops that are in that area.

Thank you guyz for your quick replies.

angelbeast:

Coming to point 3: Yes he is eligible and his company will most probably apply for the same on our behalf. However I am still wondering how difficult would it be? Is it like whomsoever qualifies will get it or it's not sure? What is the probability..any idea?

It is not difficult at all. I have been to the foreigners office on two separate occassions to help friends who did not speak German. Probability 100%, even better going through the company.

It really would be a good idea for you to spend a weekend here and just wander around different neighbourhoods to get a feel for them.

Gostenhof is actually becoming a very popular area, although urban alternative. St Johannis and the area directly behind the BUrg ARE both nice areas (although they are not part of the Altstadt, which is the area within the wall...where there is also quite a bit of accommodation). Directly south of the station is not considered so nice, but go a bit further - areas like Dutzendteich, Rangierbahnhofsiedlung etc are also lovely suburban areas.

Fürth is also improving - a lot of Siemens people live there and are gentrifying it.

A lot will depend on whether you like nice urban or nice suburban (gardens and more houses than apartments), and also on how far your husband needs to travel for work. Is he directly in Nuremberg?

@angelbeast: That is really a good news.. thank you!

@thefrollein, @germanyherewecome and @ruapehu: Thank you for the detailed information..I have now got the idea of areas and probably will visit Nuremberg on a weekend soon.

@ruapehu: That's quite wiered isn't it? Because in Private insurance you will end up paying more and you spouse is not even covered? <_<

@ruapehu: That's quite wiered isn't it? Because in Private insurance you will end up paying more and you spouse is not even covered? dry.gif

Wrong, people go to private insurance because it is cheaper (mostly).

Erlangen has definitely more (and better) Indian restaurants.

But just south Nürnberg (south of the main train station i.e.) alone has >4 Indian/South asian grocery stores. In Erlangen, I am aware of only two.

As such in Nürnberg, Guntherstrasse or south eastern part of Glockenhof (i.e. near Luitpoldhain) is quite nice; lots of green parks around, the area is fairly peaceful. There is a S-bahn station and OBI closeby and even the city center is reachable in ~10-12 mins by public transport.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/schoene,-helle-wohnung-in-nuernberg-boxdorf/241231893-203-6829?ref=myads

Hi,

we have an apartment in Nuernberg for rent. Pictures you can see on the link on the top.

I try to translate everything in english, so sorry for any mistakes.

It is a 2 room apartment on the first floor of a 3.familyhouse.

A place for the car an a room in the cellar is including.

the floor is laminat (something like wood) and in the bathromm we have tyle flooring.

The bathroom got a bathtub an we have a little fitted kitchen.

The apartment is light and the house is near to Erlangen, Nürnberg and Fürth.

The Price is. Including everything 560,- Euro.

2 Month's rent deposit (1120 Euro).

If you are interested, feel free to contact us.

@mike_kelly: Not yet, we are moving around Feb.2015.

@Landlord24: Thanks for the link but we are looking for a little bit bigger house. Around 3.5-4 Zimmer :)

Hi, I asked because I'm now in Switzerland and am hoping to make the same move. I'm interested in knowing what you're motives for moving are.

If you haven't already found a mover, I can highly recommend Paul V. Maur. They are part of the FIDI network and did an outstanding job for us when we moved to Nuernberg from San Francisco area. We had a lot of delicate things and not a single piece had a problem.