Bilingual kindergarten, primary or secondary schools in or around Heidelberg

46 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

I am moving to Germany during 1st week of April. I will be joining SAP.

My 3 yr old daughter has been doing playschool for about a year now. She is used to education in English.

Do you know of any English kinder garten in Mannheim/Heidelberg/Leimen/Walldorf?

I am quite concerned since I dont my daughter to be affected by the move.

Any pointers will be of help.

Thanks & Cheers

RJ

I can't speak for the other places you've mentioned, but here are several In Heidelberg:

German-American Institute Kindergartens http://www.dai-heidelberg.de/content/e2254/index_eng.html

Heidelberg International School http://www.hischool.de/ (children from age 4, not 3)

Metropolitan School (nursery, preschool, kindergarten) http://www.metroschools.de/heidelberg/

You may have great difficulty getting your child into a program in the current school year since there is generally a dearth of places and waiting lists are long. However, you should definitely get on waiting lists now so that you are likely to get a spot for your child come September. (In public and private kindergartens, places for September are normally given out in February/March of the same year. The private bilingual kindergartens such as those listed above may have more flexibility, since presumably more of their pupils move away during any given school year compared with the German-speaking kindergartens) but you'll have to contact them ASAP to find out.)

You may wish to contact the SAP family network at http://www.familyatsap.de/ to see if folks there have advice for the areas south of HD, closer to Walldorf and even further southwest in the direction of Kraichgau.

HTH

MIS Heidelberg are expanding and could very well have a spot by April 2012

But don't worry about your childs adaptation, she will have no issues with it ... You might ... :-)

As an example, MIS Heidelberg receives children every september from all corners of the world, and so does the rest of the schools in this area.

If she doesn't speak german now, she will learn enough for playing in 2 months time, we didn't beleive it ourselves, now we have trouble following what our children says ...

Try the Sportkindergarten@TSGRohrbach.de. - I know they currently have places available and there are at least 3 English speaking children there. Best wishes.

My daughter goes to MIS in Vierenheim. She is in the 5th grade. I really like the school! All of the teachers are very friendly and eager to help. And they are expanding, so there is room in all the grades for new students. I interviewed HIS in Heidelberg and I did not like them. They seemed really snotty to me and were not too forth coming about what/how they would be teaching my daughter. When I interviewed MIS, they pulled in a couple of teachers for me to talk to and they brought textbooks and some of their current students work in to show me. My daughter came speaking absolutely no German to being pretty good at it in less than a year. I highly recommend them!

Not sure if the location is good for you but the International School in Neustadt an der Weinstrasse may have places http://www.is-neustadt.de/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=165&Itemid=115

I would not recommend BIS or MIS they are owned by the same person. In Walldorf you will have day care/preschool for kids. If your working for SAP, I would look to rent/buy a place in Walldorf, St. Leon Rot (less than 5-10 min away), that way you will not have to deal with the autobahn traffic.

Why don't you try out the Deustch-Amerikanisches Institut - International Kindergartens, near the Heidelberg Castle? Medium of instruction is English mostly. The kids come from all parts of the world but they also have German kids there. The kindergarten teaches more German to the older kids to prepare them for German elementary school. So far, I've heard incredibly wonderful things about them. They're expanding and come summer, will be moving to a new and much bigger place - a huge villa with a garden, also in the heart of Heidelberg City.

Here is their website:

http://www.dai-heide.../index_eng.html

You might check our the local German kindergartens in the town where you find a house. They are much cheaper than the international schools and I bet there will be a couple other English speaking kids there. Our son had a year of American daycare / preschool before we moved here and he transitioned to German kindergarten just great.

we are from the midwest USA and have accepted a stationing agreement from my husband's employer to move to germany this june ('13). his office is located in bruchsal, so we are thinking of basing ourselves there or (any advice??) a closeby city. most importantly, looking for a great university school for my 4 & 6 year olds. any advice is much appreciated!

no no, contrary to what you've been told German Uni is roughly equivalent to American pre-school. :P

we are thinking of basing ourselves there or a closeby city

One word of advice: Traffic on the A5 around Bruchsal during rush hour is horrible. From both directions.

Example of a university school:

"The University School of Milwaukee (USM) is a private pre-kindergarten through secondary preparatory school located on 123 acres (0.50 km2) in River Hills and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It has a reputation for being the most prestigious and academically rigorous school in the state and one of the best in the United States."

It prepares children for college at a very young age. I don't think these exist in Germany and personally I think this is good. At those ages let them just be children. They can worry about academic performance later on.

quick update: after doing a little more research this week, we are now thinking about sending the kiddos to Heidelberg International School.

anyone else have experience with this school??

OP, in case PES's link doesn't show you all the threads, type "Heidelberg International School" into the search box and conduct a "forum advanced search" on it to find all the threads where it has been discussed.

Hallo,

I will be in Germany by January 2015. I have two kids who will be nearly 6 and 2 by the time they join me in March 2015.

My employer has a bit a flexibility about my starting location, so I can choose either Heidelberg, Frankfurt, Darmstadt / Bensheim.

Can you please help me with the following info (I searched, but didn't get good hits):

1. Are there any public bilingual schools in these cities (HD, FFT, Darmstadt)? Because, I won't be earning a lot to pay for International Schools :(

2. We speak English at home. From your own experiences, can a 2 year old adapt to both German and English and not be left behind?

3. My elder son will finish his current Upper Kindergarten in India, and will have time from April till August (I believe that's when the schooling starts in Germany). Are there German language training schools for such young kids (5.5 yrs) who work in summer?

Thanks a lot for your kind help in advance!

Hallo,

I will be in Germany by January 2015. I have two kids who will be nearly 6 and 2 by the time they join me in March 2015.

My employer has a bit a flexibility about my starting location, so I can choose either Heidelberg, Frankfurt, Darmstadt / Bensheim.

Can you please help me with the following info (I searched, but didn't get good hits):

1. Are there any public bilingual schools in these cities (HD, FFT, Darmstadt)? Because, I won't be earning a lot to pay for International Schools

2. We speak English at home. From your own experiences, can a 2 year old adapt to both German and English and not be left behind?

3. My elder son will finish his current Upper Kindergarten in India, and will have time from April till August (I believe that's when the schooling starts in Germany). Are there German language training schools for such young kids (5.5 yrs) who work in summer?

Thanks a lot for your kind help in advance!

1. I don't know of any public bilingual primaries in HD. I know of 2 private ones. (The Englisches Institute is not an international school, but still rather pricey); the F+U Schulzentrum has a new private bilingual English/German primary school.

2. Yes, a 2-year-old enrolled into a German-speaking Kindergarten at age 3 (and/or a German-speaking playgroup or other immersion environment before age 3) will normally be able to enter school at age 6 with the linguistic competence to succeed in school. S/He may need additional language support -- if so, many public schools offer this. (In HD they do, anyway, at both kindergarten and primary levels).

3. There are indeed some language schools (e.g. this one) that offer German as a Foreign Language for kids below compulsory school age, but I don't know whether they offer intensive summer courses.