Rent increased by 30% before renovation started

30 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

I would say yes because the landlords are not allowed to increase rents at will so it is better to sell a condo that is rented out for market value already.  Unless the landlord is renovating, they can only increase the rent as much as 20% every 3 years and only if the rent is still lower than the rent for similar apartments in the same area.  Hence, if you buy a condo where the rent is 200 and should be 400, you can only increase the rent 20% so to 240 then have to wait 3 years before you can increase again by 20% etc.  The tenant can dispute the increase in which case, you may need to go to court.  This may be why many landlords do not bother to increase the rent for a sitting tenant.  I lived in the same apartment for 6 years and my rent was never increased.

If you are renovating, you are not tied by the 20% cap.  You would however have to spend a lot of money on renovations before you can get your money back from the tenant.  For example, you spend 5000€ on renovations, you may increase the yearly rent for 11% of that so 550 per year.  For your 200€ a month apartment, that means 550/12 so 45,83€ per month more rent which is more than 20%.  However, you would have spent the 5000 before you could get that 45€ a month more.

I did not know landlord can increase rent by 20% every 3 years. I thought it is only 15%. I increased the rent by 15% in August 2017.  Does this mean that I can increase 5% (If the whole rent is still within the average of the rents in the same area ? 

Are you paying the Nebenkosten and then including it in the rent? Or are you just paying it alone? Trying to figure out why your renters pay so little.

37 minutes ago, kld said:

I did not know landlord can increase rent by 20% every 3 years. I thought it is only 15%

It used to be 20% but was reduced to 15% a few years ago.

@fraufruit

Rent is not low 

But I got this document from  hausverwaltung who said I should pay it.

He said " includes the additional payment from the housing allowance for the year 2016. "

Is this  NEBENKOSTEN ?

369.68 page 2.jpg

2 hours ago, kld said:

@fraufruit

Rent is not low 

But I got this document from  hausverwaltung who said I should pay it.

He said " includes the additional payment from the housing allowance for the year 2016. "

Is this  NEBENKOSTEN ?

369.68 page 2.jpg

As an owner, you pay something called Hausgeld.  This is a combination of many fees that are taken care of by the hausverwaltung.  A portion as you see is heizkosten (heating).  A portion as you see is instandhaltungsrücklage which is money put towards renovations and repairs.  Some of these fees you can pass on to  your tenant and some you can't.  Mainly your tenant should pay for their heating, water, warm water, sewage, electricity for the stairwell, cleaning of the stairwell unless it's being done by the tenant, garden upkeep, snow removal, street cleaning, garbage etc. as far as all these things are being provided.  In some apartments, warm water is not provided centrally but by an electric water heater in each apartment and as long as the tenant is already paying electricity,  they are already paying for their warm water.  Some buildings will provide cable in which case, the tenant should pay for it.  You may also have the tenant pay for grundsteuer (not to be confused with grunderwerbsteuer which you pay when you buy a condo) and insurances like storm, hail, pipe, glass, fire etc.  I've never owned a condo myself so I have no idea if the hausverwaltung is taking care of all the insurances etc. for you.  There are some companies that will calculate this for you for a fee and you can even pass the fee to the tenant.  When I rented, my nebenkosten were being calculated by a company called Techem.

Every time I come to this site it's like groundhog day.  Same shit, different day.

over and over and over again.

46 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

Every time I come to this site it's like groundhog day.  Same shit, different day.

over and over and over again.

Because so many cannot be bothered to research before moving or check out existing posts, like one poster -" Oh , 45 posts"