Motorcycling rideouts

72 posts in this topic

I would be very much interested in finding riding partner(s). I have Honda PanEuropean. Drop me a private message if you fancy a ride.

Martin

Anybody who is interested today. 

The meeting point is:

Bavaria Petrol, Zehentbauernstraße 7, 81539 München, at  10am

Leaving there about 10.15am

Anybody want to have a ride out tomorrow? 

Meeting at

Aral, Kapuzinerstraße 46, 80469 München

11am, leaving at 11.15am

No Autobahn.

Max 130-140 kmh

Mr T, chaps/chappets,

I'm back from my long holiday and ready for some action. I'm busy next two weekends, but relatively free during the week. PM me if your interested. You should still have my number, right?

Martin

Thoughts from emergency room doctors in Chicago:

I have always maintained that there should be a mandatory organ donation card for motorcyclists.

Someone not wearing a motorcycle helmet, they literally come in with brain matter coming out of their skull. Just totally smashed like an egg. Someone wearing a helmet: The helmet’s broken, they might have a little bit of bleeding in the brain, but they’re OK.

Two pieces of advice for cyclists: One, beware the car door. The other is: helmet, helmet, helmet! Eighty-five percent of fatal crash victims weren’t wearing a helmet.

WHAT. I can't believe that it's not mandatory to wear a crash helmet, and if not mandatory, it's common sense.

Surely by not wearing one you are going to get splattered with bugs and the constant wind blast is going to distract you.

I always ride with full protection, helmet, gloves, kevlar jeans and reinforced leather boots.

I see some loons in the warm weather riding in sandals and shorts, even at low speeds falling off would cause a lot of damage.

You would lose the skin off your hands, elbows and knees.

Guessing the insurance premium for riders must be through the roof and they have to pick up the tab after an accident.

10 hours ago, catjones said:

Eighty-five percent of fatal crash victims weren’t wearing a helmet.

So in places where helmets are mandatory, 100% of fatal crash victims are wearing a helmet.

B)

10 hours ago, hooperski said:

I see some loons in the warm weather riding in sandals and shorts, even at low speeds falling off would cause a lot of damage.

no kidding.  Even with full protection "road rash" is a huge danger.

I had a properly dressed friend in high school who dumped it and slid a couple hundred meters after a deer dashed in front of him one night.  His leather jacket did manage to protect his back/shoulder, but was fairly destroyed, his heavy jeans were shredded off, and his helmet was shaved down to the padding in one spot.  His legs were really in rough shape, but he came through ok after a couple of days in the hospital. 

I can say from experience myself that having parts of your skin sanded off is extraordinarily painful - I can't even imagine what it would be like, the full length of both legs.

I cringe anytime I see someone riding as you describe.  it's just nuts.  Awesome that kevlar pants are available - I had no idea!

An ex of my sister's got two of his fingers grated off on the highway and spent more than a year in hospital having skin grafts after sliding without any proper gear on. Wear your gloves!!!