Wild camping

18 posts in this topic

Guys,

I was thinking about taking my 9 Year old for a night out camping, somewhere close by easy access to U/S Bahn, setting up tent, making tea & breakfast.

1) Does anyone know the rules about wild camping ?

2) If its okay has anyone got any good spots ?

Im looking Fri/Sat to Sun PM if anyone else is up for it in the next few weeks.

Regards

Dave

I do believe it's possible to camp on private land if you have permission from the landowner. That's probably as close as you'll get to "wild" camping (not that there is any real wilderness around here anyway).

"Proper campsites" are shit; full of Pikeys getting drunk until three in the morning. I fully understand the allure of wild camping; there may not any "wilderness", but there are plenty of quiet areas where you could pitch a tent. Good examples would be in the middle of a forest or halfway up a mountain. This is where I get confused about your "close to U-Bahn" requirement.

As previously stated, any wild camping is only allowed with the permission of the landowner. However, if you don't get found and Leave no Trace, then good luck. It is, however, banned in National Parks.

A few years ago I did a bike ride through bayern, Mostly camping out. I don't think they really have tent police here (although it wouldn't suprise me, being germany) but I never got hassled. I say fuck it, Pitch your tent and have a good time, It's unlikely that you will get caught.

Some of the woods in German are huge, and you could prob. go camping in them and not have anybody in a 5-10km distance.. Just go find a large patch of woods, somewhere remote and nobody will bother you.

Perlacher and Gruenwald might be to small, but have a look at Ebersberger wald..

when I went interrailing with my mate from uni back when i was 21* we camped overnight in the nymphenburg schlosspark :D

but i guess looking back we were probably pretty lucky not to get caught, specially when we got our camping stove going :ph34r:

i wouldn't really recommend it, though...

*about 6 years ago (ish...)

Keep an eye out as there will be camping with the kiddies coming to a woods near you soon. See the parent-child explorer group.

PS: I have graham crackers a plenty for smores...

"Proper campsites" are shit; full of Pikeys getting drunk until three in the morning.

I don't believe you. Seriously, are you telling me that Thalkirchen and Obermenzing are full of drunks being loud until 3am?

Some German friends cycle out towards Starnberg in the evening, camp in the forests out there over night and cycle back the next day. I've never been with them but it sounds really good - I've cycled some routes to Starnberg (not the signposted one along the motorway). The forests there are huge and quiet and if you're discreet there's no chance anyone will ever see you camping. Just don't light a huge fire...

I'm also interested in doing some camping, whether at an official campsite or off the grid. Does anyone know if there are any places you cant rent tents/sleeping gear etc. from. I'd like to try it out before I invest in all the gear. Alternatively, perhaps some of the official campsites let you rent tents and gear?

Kevin, have a look here.

I would not recommend renting a sleeping bag, but each their own.  I've known no one who rents camping equipment, but from the link above, seems so.

Those things are pretty cheap and decent nowadays.  Check Decathlon, low prices and acceptable quality for casual camping.

As Krieg said, you can get a 2 person tent, sleeping bag and matt for a total of 32€ from Decathlon.  Of course none of those are items I would want to use longer term ... but if you just want to try it cheap ...

4 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

We camp in our own garden, no joke!

I hope your house builder gets the job done before November's Northwinds arrive.

:lol:

2B