Moving to Germany, some questions

17 posts in this topic

Hello folk,

this is my first message here.

I'm a computer engineer who is working in software field in Italy.

Now, the situation in Italy in terms of job career possibilities and salaries is not good at all.

There is a lot of unemployment and salaries tend to be very very low.

For instance, despite the fact that I have 5 years of working experience in software and a degree in IT engineering,

my current net income monthly salary is ... 1250 euro! Yes , no kidding, that's just a little more of what a cashier usally earns at the local grocery store.

Furthermore, I cannot afford moving out of my parents house due to the high cost of living.. despite being in my 30s. I know, this sounds incredible.. but it's the harsh reality many young Italian adults are experiencing nowadays.

So the things I'd like to ask are these:

-How much easy do you guys think it would be for me to find an english-speaking job in Munich area (that's where I'm mostly interested in atm)?

-What would be a typical salary in IT field?

-Do you think, as a single guy, may I afford to live by myself in Bavaria or at the end of the month it will be, for me, like living in italy?

-How is life in Germany for an Italian?

As a side note i'd like to specify that I have a basic knowledge of German (attained through some years of formal education ), and

of course I'm willy to improve it.

So thanks for your answers and... I'm looking forward to having a beer with you guys one day in Munich!

Cheers!!

-How much easy do you guys think it would be for me to find an english-speaking job in Munich area (that's where I'm mostly interested in atm)?

Very much easy. Good jobs for everyone. Wow.

-What would be a typical salary in IT field?

Does it matter what a typical salary is? Apply for jobs, if they want to hire you, they'll make you an offer. You negotiate the offer, go from there. It doesn't matter how much anyone else makes, since you're not them.

Thank you for your answers!

I know that salary usually depends on a lot of factors. But maybe I wasn't clear enough and I excuse myself for that. What I wanted to ask is if there is anyone who is able to give me an answer about what is a POSSIBLE salary of a professional worker living in Germany in my same situation (i.e. foreigner, mostly English-speaking but committed to improve German, master degree in IT).

In the end everything boils down to how much money I could earn minus total expenses (rent, food etc...), so I need to have an idea

of how high is cost of living before accepting to work in Germany (if I'm offered a job).

Thank you

bloang, it will depend on what exactly you do in the software field. It is quite a varied job market. If you have relevant experience that a company is looking for and they take you in, with 5 years experience you should be able to get somewhere around 2000 - 2500€ Net. If you factor 1000 - 1200€ for living costs (rent and moderate lifestyle), you should be able to save something.

But I cannot comment if it would be better than living in Italy.

• Weather is worse
  • People are less friendly
  • Food is slightly / a lot better at home

Try looking for a job, and when you have an offer, you can make a decision.

If you factor 1000 - 1200€ for living costs (rent and moderate lifestyle), you should be able to save something.

That would be impressive in the Munich area, if the OP lives alone. I suppose it might be feasible if he finds a WG or some other roommate situation. I think I'd rather live with my parents than live in a WG, personally.

I lived in Munich for 5 years (have been away for the last 2 years, but am planning to return at the end of this year) and although I don't have experience in your field or know how much someone in your position could expect to make in Munich, I can offer my experience... hopefully that will help in some way. :)

I worked in public relations and by the time I left, I was bringing home just under 1,800 EUR per month (healthcare and taxes already taken out). I lived in a nice one bedroom apartment in Neuhausen (15-20 minutes from the city center by U/S-bahn) and was paying just under 1,000 EUR per month in rent and utilities. I had plenty left over to pay additional bills, buy groceries, socialize, travel, etc. For the first few years I lived in Munich, I was bringing home approx. 1,400 EUR after healthcare and taxes, lived in the same apartment, and had no issues other than being slightly strapped for cash if I indulged a bit too much in partying or clothes shopping. ;)

It might be difficult on a lower salary, but definitely not impossible. You can live in a WG with roommates as others have suggested or find a smaller apartment a bit farther out from the city center... just be wary that the housing market in Munich is very difficult and it might take you a few months to find something suitable. Groceries are fairly cheap in Germany depending on what you buy and in which grocery store chain. I have no experience of life in Italy, but if you are unhappy there and are truly considering a move to Germany, explore all of your options, do your research, and start applying for jobs. You might be surprised at what companies are willing to offer you if you have the skills they are looking for.

If you are mindful of the advice others have given you (i.e. the weather is fairly dismal in Germany, the people can be unfriendly/cold [although I live in Southern California and I find the people here much more stand-offish and fake than in Munich], etc) and realistic about your expectations, I think you will be alright.

Good luck! :)

The weather is one of my favorite things about Germany. I grew up in the desert so I like rain. YMMV and all that.

nateo- I hear that! After 2 years in SoCal, I'm looking forward to getting back to seasons and rain. I've been told I'm 'broken', as I don't like constant sunshine and blistering heat all year round. :P

Questions about German Health Insurance

Hello, I am new to this website and new to these forums. I am Australian born and at the moment reside in Australia. I aquired Hungarian Citizenship (EU Member) a year ago, as an entitlement because I am the som of a Hungarian. I have recently retired and wish to move to and permanently live in Germany within the next year. I have currently completed an A1 level german speaking course. As a citizen of an EU state I understand gaining residency is no problem for me. I am not familiar with Health Insurance requirements in Europe, and in particularly Germany for expats. I currently have no intent to work in Germany, but to live on my own means. Can any body who maybe is in similar situation please give some advice on Health Insurance requirements and where I could get it. Any advice would be much appreciated and thank you in advance from the land of kangaroos!!! dzmil

I have recently retired and wish to move to and permanently live in Germany within the next year. I have currently completed an A1 level german speaking course.

Why? Have you previously ever lived in the EU? You need to do much more research before making the move.

As a citizen of an EU state I understand gaining residency is no problem for me.

Not exactly. Residency is not a problem for you as long as you meet all the criteria, i.e. you need to have sufficient funds to cover all your expenses including German (or BaFin-approved foreign) health insurance.

I am not familiar with Health Insurance requirements in Europe, and in particularly Germany for expats.

The most important things you need to know about health insurance in Germany is that all residents are required to have health insurance, public health insurance is not free, and you will probably not be entitled to the public health care system (even if you found a job as an employee you're too old to get into to the public health insurance system, you'd need to have public health insurance for at least year in another EU country before moving to Germany).

The first thing you need to do is determine how much you'll need to pay for health insurance. Contact TT insurance experts Starshollow or John.G for a quote.

The first thing you need to do is determine how much you'll need to pay for health insurance.

...and expect the cost of health insurance to increase each year.

Thanks for your help, but in the end I decided to remain in Italy.

Nice to get an update! Are you still living at home?

On 9/7/2020, 09:33:42, optimista said:

Nice to get an update! Are you still living at home?

yes, I'm unemployed now ...living with my parents

Regards