E-Bike / Pedelec recommendations

22 posts in this topic

I'm looking to invest in an e-bike and trailer to take my kids to daycare. The current walking + bus route takes 1.5 hours for drop-off and 1.5 hours for pick-up, and it's exhausting. There are some serious uphill sections, so I think an e-bike or pedelec would be better when towing up to 50 extra lbs behind me. Any recommendations for bikes and trailers? I see that Lidl has them, but I have no idea if they're junk or not...

I have a Prophete pedelec. They are cheap (I bought mine at the end of summer at Marktkauf for € 555.-), but not the best quality. Had to call out their service twice already within 2 years. Once the battery had to be exchanged and once the controller had a defect. But I´d still buy it again because while others might be better, they are too expensive (in my assessment). You might want to look up the tests of Stiftung Warentest and the ADAC (performed last year IIRC).

...plus Stuttgart isn't as flat as Berlin.

Seriously, why don't you to a bike store and get an offer. Quality (plus a bike-motor-battery system made for hilly roads ) is paramount, you don't want to buy twice.

I am planning to go to the bike store, but I'm looking for recommendations first. And yes, towing a trailer with two kids in the back while going uphill is the reason I think I need a little help.

One basic difference is the position of the motor. Front wheel, rear wheel or motor near the middle, the pedals. Best for uphill roads to be the middle motor version with rear wheel drive.

I bought an ebike about 5 years ago, and am still happy with it. It was fine for a 45 min ride to work and 45 back - no shower needed at work. I don't like how heavy they are. The battery only weights about 4kilos but the bikes are really heavy, mine is 25! It's real turn off when you have to lug it up stairs. You can also buy a diy kit: buy the battery and motor (see ebay) and install it onto your existing bike. I don't know anyone who has done though...

The prices run from 5/600€ to over 2200€, so have a think on what you'd like to spend. Mine was 750 Pounds and have no complaints. Personally, if I spent 2200€ on a bike, I would be terrified of it getting stolen and never leave it anywhere!

OK.. 

Reviving this thread..

I am looking at getting an e-Bike... 

I saw some yesterday at Real... varying from 1111€ through to 2100€.

My main questions are, which format is the better?

Front wheel drive.. Rear Wheel drive or those with the motor at the Crank?

Which are the better battery packs?  

Are there any recomendations based on personal experience?

Thanks

SP

There was a test report on e-bikes published by Stiftung Warentest I think last year. You might want to read it.

Bought a Kalkhoff last year, and one for my wife. Expensive, built like a tank but gets up and down the hills around Koblenz without any trouble. The only problem was the original brake "pads" didn't last very long on the hills,  now replaced with harder ones. Turning circle with the crank motor is larger and it's heavy by comparison with our normal bikes.

Didn't try front-wheel, only rear wheel. Works ok. Capacity of battery should be adjusted according to your needs. Note that capacity specified by manufacturer is for the most energy saving mode, where motor power is severely reduced. Which is ok if you're a strong man, but for older people/kids maximum motor capacity is required for uphill drive, so real mileage of the battery should be divided by the factor of two.

Then one should differentiate between E-Bike (motor electronically limited to 25 kmh, for higher speeds it's automatically off) and S-Pedelecs (45 kmh). The former are legally equivalent to bicycles, the latter legally equivalent to Mofas which means: helmet required, driving license/mofa permit (car license is ok), using bike paths is not allowed in towns (unless there is a white plate indicating „Mofas frei“). These are also the most expensive ones.

Then a question if you want a city bike or MTB (also the most expensive). And think if a good MTB with carbon frame, disc brakes and all that stuff is a better investment than a crappy bike with electic motor for the same price...

Lame person opinion, not an owner, occasional user: I will buy e-Bike sometime after I turn 60, i think.  

Bringing back again this zombie thread.  Just to complain about people not understanding the markets.    There is a current boom of eBikes and there are some amazing ones right now, but I can't find anything that fits what I am looking for.  

My major complain is the Chinese not understanding anything in this matter, probably because for once in a while they are actually trying to innovate and they are not blatantly copying anyone.   The Chinese are making bloody cool cheap bikes at the moment, and they are sold like hot cakes, but they are at the same time crap because they do not understand the markets.     Their mistake is that they are making one model that should please everyone but instead they are not pleasing anyone.  Most of them have decided to block the speeds to 25 km/h to fulfill European requirements, so the American customers are pissed because no one buys slow eBikes over there.   And the irony is that the bikes are not street legal in the EU because they have a throttle which was banned in the EU since 2017.    And they insist in keeping the throttle to please the Americans.    Those dummies do not understand they should make two models, a European one and an American one.    It is a shame, because they really have nice bikes in the sub 1000€ bracket.

And the European made bikes are either really crap and heavy or super cool but mega expensive.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Bringing back again this zombie thread.  Just to complain about people not understanding the markets.    There is a current boom of eBikes and there are some amazing ones right now, but I can't find anything that fits what I am looking for.  

My major complain is the Chinese not understanding anything in this matter, probably because for once in a while they are actually trying to innovate and they are not blatantly copying anyone.   The Chinese are making bloody cool cheap bikes at the moment, and they are sold like hot cakes, but they are at the same time crap because they do not understand the markets.     Their mistake is that they are making one model that should please everyone but instead they are not pleasing anyone.  Most of them have decided to block the speeds to 25 km/h to fulfill European requirements, so the American customers are pissed because no one buys slow eBikes over there.   And the irony is that the bikes are not street legal in the EU because they have a throttle which was banned in the EU since 2017.    And they insist in keeping the throttle to please the Americans.    Those dummies do not understand they should make two models, a European one and an American one.    It is a shame, because they really have nice bikes in the sub 1000€ bracket.

And the European made bikes are either really crap and heavy or super cool but mega expensive.

I would not be at all surprised to find the Chinese are dumping to try and take the market, won't be the first time, so it is good to hear they have not got the right products. The bottom line though is you get what you pay for. A fairly regular touring bike is going to set you back at least €500, so when you add in a motor, controller and a battery (typically at least €500 on its own) then some heavier duty parts to handle the extra weight and power and it is no surprise to me that decent European e-bikes start around €2000.

Check out the German manufacturer Cube they have an excellent range of e-bikes and bear in mind that there are often much better deals available in winter and on last years models.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Somebody's buying them.

I bought one here in CA made in CA. Unfortunately the battery is Chinese. Electra Townie Go! 7D. Nice bike.  Unfortunately, since I am moving to the EU, the battery becomes a problem.  I spoke with a bike shop owner in Warsaw and he said they sell Electra there, and he should be able to hook me up with a battery when the bike gets there. I have heard that you can freight by sea, but I have yet to find anyone who does that for a 5.8lb Lithium Ion Battery. If anyone knows any company who would ship from San Diego or LA to Poland, please let me know.  Otherwise I might have to sell it before and hope to find one when I get there.  It's a good bike without the battery but being older, it is nice for hills to have a little push.  

16 hours ago, keith2011 said:

The bottom line though is you get what you pay for.

However, at the right time you only have to pay not even half price. I bought my ebike in November at Marktkauf, when is was reduced from 1199.- to 599.-

3 hours ago, jeba said:

However, at the right time you only have to pay not even half price. I bought my ebike in November at Marktkauf, when is was reduced from 1199.- to 599.-

That is remarkably cheap, one wonders how much the dealer paid for it and why they reduced it by so much? I paid €2100 reduced from 2699 for mine back in Dec. 2018. I would be very interested in knowing how yours performs ongoing, to date mine has had a first, free, service and a puncture after just over 1800 km and am very satisfied with it.

How to take over all those pesky boomers riding eBikes?  Just ride 26 km/h.