Converting a US driver's license to a German one

180 posts in this topic

Hello fellow wisonsonite the status of your old license is not relevant to your german one after conversion. By the way the indication that they hold your license and you can  get it back when you leave I believe is not correct, I was told they they do not keep them for returning later

They are supposed to send it back to the state where is was issued, but some offices apparently don't know or don't care.

I begged and cried to keep my Texas license because it was sentimental. I told them to punch holes in it to make it invalid. No go.

Just recently switched my US license to a German one. They would not budge on letting me keep the US one and when I asked them what happens to my US license, they told me they would ship it back to my state.

5 hours ago, lunasuenos said:

Hello fellow wisonsonite the status of your old license is not relevant to your german one after conversion. By the way the indication that they hold your license and you can  get it back when you leave I believe is not correct, I was told they they do not keep them for returning later

Thanks for the input. So I don't need to worry about my American license expiring, my German license will still be valid and I can use that in the US and Germany?

Does the German license ever expire?

1 minute ago, endsee said:

mine expires in 15 years

How do you know that? I don't see an expiration date anywhere on my German license

8 minutes ago, Soccerguy said:

How do you know that? I don't see an expiration date anywhere on my German license

It's there on the front below my birthdate I think

27 minutes ago, Soccerguy said:

mine doesn't have the expiration date either, I got it in 2012. 

As I recall the expiration is a "new" feature that applies to all licenses regardless of whether the expiration date appears or not...and there are other threads that mention this.

Hey All,

I was on expatriation in US and my PA state DL expired when I left US in Jan this year. Is there any chance  I can convert it still to a German DL? 

Danke

Vin

So glad I found this message board. Before I go through all the trouble of switching my license: 

1. I lived in Germany from 2013-2014. I can't find my Anmeldung from that time. I did the Abmeldung in 2014. 

2. I moved back to the US from 2014-2016. 

3. In 2019, after ALMOST three years in Germany for the second time, I got an appointment to switch my license. Now, do you think it's fine for me to bring my 2016 Anmeldung? Otherwise, I feel like I'm screwed. On the website they make it sound like they want your first ever Anmeldung in Germany, but I can't find it :/.

Thanks for your help!

On 6/23/2015, 7:47:00, jennb06 said:

Hi,

In researching switching out my license, I realized I may have problems due to having not deregistered in 2012 when I moved back to the States for two years (I didn't know I had to until I registered this year upon moving back). If I'm correct, a person has 3 years to exchange their license from the States. I just returned to Munich and want to get my license, but does anyone know if I am past my 3 years since I was registered as living here since 2011 even though I wasn't here for 2013-2104? Being Germany, I'd imagine there's a "no excuses" policy. 

I appreciate any help or insight. Thank you!

Hi, 
Did you ever manage to switch your license? 
Thanks for the update! 

On 4/30/2019, 10:10:29, lunasuenos said:

By the way the indication that they hold your license and you can  get it back when you leave I believe is not correct, I was told they they do not keep them for returning later

On 4/30/2019, 11:27:03, fraufruit said:

I begged and cried to keep my Texas license because it was sentimental. I told them to punch holes in it to make it invalid. No go.

in Dresden they told me they wanted to take my U.S. license.  I thought "that's annoying, but okay",  Then they said they wanted to charge me a storage fee.  That sounded crazy.  Then they volunteered that if I got a letter from the U.S. consulate saying it was inconvenient to give up my U.S. license that I could keep it.  So I did that.  The U.S. consulate in Leipzig sent me a short letter saying that in the U.S. licenses are used as common personal I.D.  Then the Dresden Amt let me keep my U.S. license when they gave me the German one. 

consular letter.jpg

So, thats my situation:

I arrived in Munich on Feb, 1st and my driver license expired on Feb, 13th. I went to the Führerscheinstelle on the Feb, 12th but they told me that they don't accept walk-ins and I should schedule an appointment.

On July I traveled to IL and was able to renew my driver license until 2023. Then, I got back to the Führerscheinstelle to replace this for the german driving license and they refused to do that because they said my license was renewed after I was already leaving in Germany. I tried to explain that my license was valid when I entered the country, but there were not dates available to book, but I had no success in my discussion. The old lady just gave me a paper saying that I have to prove that my id is a renewal and not a new one, even with me showing her the old driver license with the same number. Anyone in the same case or that now if its possible to change the driving license to the german one in this situation?

Thanks,

Thiago

@Thiago andrade This happened to me as well. It's pretty easy. Just get in touch with the DMV in the state where you resided in the US. Tell them you need a complete certified driving record. They'll tell you the process for getting that. You'll probably have to go to a consulate for a notarized (US style) document, but that's how it goes. Anyway, the DMV will then mail you the certified driving record. You'll have to have that translated (ADAC does this if you don't know a translator). This document will have the date of the first issuance of a driver's license to you in that state.

https://portalillinois.org/dmv-services.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IL_DMV_ST&utm_content=driver-license&utm_term=Illinois%20dmv&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5bCg8amR5AIVFJzVCh3xPQdLEAAYASAAEgKKBfD_BwE