On Blue Card - question on unemployment benefits

31 posts in this topic

I am a Canadian citizen, working here in a company for 7 months and paying Arbeitsversicherung. I came here on a Blue Card, and I am assuming that this card is given to me specifically for this company. So if I lose my job, for whatever reason, I am assuming I cant just stick around in Germany indefinitely and look for another job and use the same Blue Card. I guess I would have to leave the country in a certain number of days (no idea what that number is), though Canadians are allowed to stay here for I believe 90 days, e.g if they are doing tourism etc.

If this is all true, how will I benefit from AV plan? If I must leave the country soon, how do I get unemployment benefit?

Thanks in advance.

You are only eligible to make a claim for ALG I if you paid into the system for over 12 months (you can use contributions made in the EU within the past two years to meet this requirement). If your employment is terminated before you've made 12 months of contributions, you are not eligible for anything.

You are required to inform your local ABH if your employment is terminated. As long as you have sufficient funds to support yourself (including health insurance!) you'll be given 3 months to look for a new job.

If I find a new job in these 3 months, will I/new employer have to apply for a new Blue Card? Or is the current Blue Card valid for all employers?

You'd need to apply for a new work permit. Your current permit is tied to your employer.

As long as you meet the Blue Card criteria (most importantly a salary over 48k), the process is relatively easy (and you are not subject to the Vorrangprüfung).

I have a question regarding working in Germany, I have aresidency card for 5 years from another European country and I am living with my german boyfriend in Germany but I am not registerd in Germany..I am trying to find a work here but everyone is telling me something different, some peolpe say I can work here and some says no..I learned German and I can speak good german now, I would appreciate if anyone has any information for me.

According to your profile you are French, if so why would you need a residence permit? Last time I looked France was still in the EU. :D

I have a question regarding working in Germany, I have aresidency card for 5 years from another European country and I am living with my german boyfriend in Germany but I am not registerd in Germany..I am trying to find a work here but everyone is telling me something different, some peolpe say I can work here and some says no..I learned German and I can speak good german now, I would appreciate if anyone has any information for me.

Mmmm... You don't need to disclose your citizenship but tell us if you're a EU citizen or not. If not, what kind of residence permit do you have? It doesn't matter for how many years, type of permit is necessary. Write in original language if you don't know how to translate.

I hazard a guess: you have national permanent residence from another EU country. In this case, you can't work in Germany and you also risk to loose that permit as you no longer live in that country. In this case you should go back to that country, apply for EU residence permit, get it, come back.

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/l23034_en.htm

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, enjoy your stay in Germany.

Regarding your question, ask your embassy. We are not sure of your nationality and we do not know which country granted you residency. The expats here come from so many different countries that there is no one answer.

Hello,

I have a blue card since June 2013 when my contract with my employer started. My contract was for 18 months annd will be ending on 30.11.2014. As per law, my blue card is valid until 28.02.2015 (3months after my contract ends). I want to know about my rights during these 3 months. Can I look for jobs and am I entitled to work, if i get a job for any other employer during these 3 months? My visa permit (green card which we get with Aufenhaltstitel) states that I am allowed to work for my employer for 18 months. Does this mean that I cannot look for a job after 18 months in Germany? What are these 3 months for after my contract ends? I would treally appreciate if you can provide any help in this regard.

Thanks a lot.

Hello all,

I have a blue card since april 2012 which expires on the same date of my contract-end (28.02.2015),. That means my work permit and residence permit are tied up with my work-contract/employer. My current employer told me that there will not be an extension of my current position (because i'm with academic employer), but there will be an open advertisement for the position for which i can apply internally. But whether the position will be created or not, will be decided in the upcoming December meeting by the academic-project-committee. But my boss is interested to hire me if there is a position (but that would not be full time position).

Now i'm really confused whether i should search for a job or should stay calm until the new position is announced.

Is it possible to get extension on my blue card/residence permit without an extension of my current work contract?

please reply me about the possibilities of getting my residence permit extended.

Please help me out friends!

If I were you I would start looking for another job now, rather than waiting for an opportunity that might come up, and even if it does if it's not full time you might not be earning enough to fulfil blue card requirements! Better to be safe than sorry.

Anikha,

Your case semms to be exactly same as of mine, but you have a clear advantage. If you have blue card sice Apr 2012, and your contract is going to end on 28.02.2015, that means you have earned and paid taxes for more than 33 months which entitles you to get a permanent resident card. you need to go to Auslanderbehorde and ask for it.

"Foreigners who own the EU blue card can apply for permanent residence after 33 months. If they have German language knowledge at level B1 then they can apply earlier after 21 months (19a, passage 6, law of residence)."

At the time of applying for permanent residence after 33 months, (in my case it would be exactly on Jan 10th 2015), i will have a contract which expires on 28.02.2015. So will they issue me permanent residence? if so how long will they take to issue me PR?

So will they issue me permanent residence?

No. In order to qualify for an NE you also need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself. Without a job, you do not qualify for an NE.

But my boss is interested to hire me if there is a position (but that would not be full time position).

Furthermore, if you do not earn enough to qualify for a Blue Card, you will not be eligible for an NE until you have been here for 5 years (and you'll be subject to the Vorrangprüfung).

@engelchen

If suppose i get work contract for the new position (not full time but 65%) by jan 10th 2015, am i eligible to apply for PR? or it requires full time work contract?

I want to know about my rights during these 3 months. Can I look for jobs and am I entitled to work, if i get a job for any other employer during these 3 months? My visa permit (green card which we get with Aufenhaltstitel) states that I am allowed to work for my employer for 18 months.

You can look for a new job, however, you can't start working until you have received a new work permit. Most ABHs will issue a Fiktionsbescheinigung so you may look for a new job for as long as you are eligible for ALG I.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi

Due to company/financial Restructuring, i was fired in 3 months of my job start. I went to arbeitsamt and they asked me to go to JobCenter. At jobcenter they asked me to come on second time by filling many forms.

May i know what is the process now. I am on Bluecard now.

Thank you

Welcome to Toytown, bonn10

If you'd only been working in a job subject to statutory social insurance contributions for 3 months in Germany then you wouldn't yet be eligible to claim the standard unemployment benefit (ALG I) which is administered by the Arbeitsamt. That would be why they sent you to their BfA colleagues at the JobCenter who process applications for the alternative social/unemployment benefit ALG II.

All applicants, including German nationals, are required to fill in many forms for ALG II claims. For non-EU citizens the application process can be much more complex albeit the fact that you are Blue card holder may help with overcoming some of the hurdles.

Unemployment Benefit II - www.arbeitsagentur.de - Info in English on ALG II (Hartz 4)

Good luck dealing with the bureaucrats and (hopefully) finding a new job soon.

2B

He is not eligible for ALGII, either. Probably the Arbeitsamt didn't know what the BlueCard was that's why they sent OP to Jobcenter.

Blue Card is a temporary work permit with unlimited access to job market. With it you can only get a new job.

After 2-3 years (depending on your German) the Blue Card entitles to get permanent residency (NE), which will give full access to German social system.