Asking an employer for a "Zwischenzeugnis"

27 posts in this topic

I don't know if there's a direct law, but points 8 and 9 on this page give some information on the conditions that entitle you to a Zwischenzeugnis and how long it should take. Sounds like they are stringing your friend along.

Thanks, I'll pass that on to her. I was kind of surprised when she told me about how long ago she had asked for it, 5 months is hardly an "angemessene Zeit".

Hey folks.

I've requested one, but my German boss doesn't want to help.

Instead he wants me to speak to the English girl who works in London to sort me out.

She speaks no German, and doesn't know what a Zwischenzeugnis is.

I obviously am not interested in an English language interim report. I am in Germany and plan to apply in the future to German companies.

Can anybody provide some advice? Surely it'd be easier for the German manager to discuss with the English girl and draw up the thing, as opposed to me having to explain to the English girl what it's all about, have her write it, then have it translated into German, no doubt at my expense?

Surely my employer is obligated to provide it in Germany seeing as I work for a Germany company have a German contract no different to the German employees and have requested it in German?

Thanks for advice.

It is normal this to be an HR responsability, I presume the English girl is HR?

I would do it the way your boss wants, explain what is needed and let the HR team worry about it, they must have experience because you are not the only one here and other people will have requested them or normal zeugnisse after leaving.

In the case of my employer HR contact me and ask for input which they do the magic on and turn into a zeugniss, using all the right code words etc. but how it happens behind the scenes isnt your problem as long as what comes back is ok.

No, not HR. We don't have HR.

She's my team leader and is London-based.

OK, sorry, misunderstood, I thought the guy in Germany was the team lead and he was redirecting you to HR.

Depending a bit who the "boss" is I suspect he is doing the right thing and telling you to talk to your immediate supirior, who will most likely have some procedure or maybe herself have to escalate back to her manager (the guy here?).

In any case, talk to her and see what she says.

Shall do that, but she's never come across anything like this before and has only worked with me for 10 months (from afar) whereas he's been in my office three years with me.

I'll speak to her, but am expecting a very confused reason.

He's just lazy, basically. He's known for it in work.