Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Visiting Freimarkt 2014

3 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown members,

Having had a wonderful trip to Munich last year, I'm planning a trip further north in late October with one other friend.

We are considering the itinerary Hamburg - Bremen - Berlin in late October, at the time of the Freimarkt. We are trying to decide when is best to visit Bremen for Freimarkt - As we are just two, we would like to go when it is lively and we can meet people, but not so busy that we will have to queue for long to get into a beer tent or attraction (like the Oktoberfest).

Can you please offer some guidance as to how busy the Freimarkt gets usually? Is it dead on the weekdays? Is it too busy on weekends to enjoy it?

Any other tips you have (like reservations, your favourite beer tent, is lederhosen recommended etc) would be appreciated!!

Many thanks for your help.

OK, since no-one else has answered I'll give my 2 cents worth.

The 'Is it dead' question is something I can't really answer because I go to Freimarkt with my kids in the afternoon/early evening. Seems busy and fun then to me, but what I want from it is probably not the same as you.

I can't tell you if there are big queues to get into beer tents later in the night, but I suspect not, at 19:00 on a Friday or Saturday you can just walk in and find a place to sit, but you will be sharing a table with someone.

Friday and Saturday are definitely busier than week-days in the early evening, I suspect this will also be true later on.

I don't know if you can make reservations, and all the beer tents seemed much the same.

Don't wear lederhosen in Northern Germany, you will just look like a twit.

The Freimarkt is much less of a beer festival (and more of a straight funfair) than Oktoberfest and in general, beer tents are much less of a "thing" up here

I haven't actually been on a weekend at night (I also have kids) but the tents are certainly not dead, but by no means full during the week.

As long as you don't roll up at 10:30 expecting a table, I would guess you should be ok even at weekends.

You can wear Tracht, particularly at the weekend, but although you wont be alone you will look a bit of a twit and seeing as the "Bavarian beer tent" only sells Becks in 0,4L glasses, its not really the same.