Do an MBA in Germany (Ops+Supply Chain Management)

45 posts in this topic

I would take those average salary figures with more than a few grains of salt. The average salary is basically meaningless for you, because you're one person, not a composite. Lots of people enter MBA programs with loads of relevant work experience, and leave to high-paying jobs in their sector.

I know you're currently in IT, and would be making a career change. An IT background doesn't hurt, but may or may not be directly relevant for your future logistics career. If you want to really make a reasonable comparison, you'd need to look at salary ranges for different quartiles of graduates, and map out best, worst, and most-likely case scenarios.

I would recommend reading this about the kind of salary bump you can expect based on your experience:

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/05/30/the-mba-bump-how-much/

Even at top programs, many students leave to very poor-paying jobs:

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/23/highest-lowest-paid-mbas-of-2013/

The lowest-paid INSEAD graduate, not counting any unemployed grads, only made $21,900 for a base salary.

Now an MBA from a reputed german business school costs around $40K whereas such graduates earn around $95K.

$95k is approximately 72,000€. Although I can believe that a few German MBA grads might manage to earn that much, it is definitely not the expected nor average salary for foreign grads with a German MBA. In fact many foreign MBA grads struggle to even find a job. You might want to ask the Indian MBA grad from Job prospects with MBA & MSCE - can't speak German for his opinion as well.

Here's another five or ten ideas for you, gazzyorock

For prospects and other details on 10 different Masters career paths see the links on the left: Logistik, Supply-Chain-Management (Masters)

There are 53 related Masters courses offered via the KURSNET Training Offers site. That number includes, (at least for the 2013/14 semesters), 5 MBA programmes with fees that seem calculated to suit the competitive market conditions. I can't give you a link just for just those 5 as the sort filters are bound to cookies in my browser, but here's a screenshot so you know what to look for.

post-89810-14093991649312_thumb.png

Click on the pic to expand.

2B

Here's another five or ten ideas for you, gazzyorock

For prospects and other details on 10 different Masters career paths see the links on the left: Logistik, Supply-Chain-Management (Masters)

I did give Master In Management a thought but wasnt so convinced about its long term credibility. From what I have gathered, moving from middle management to higher management even after a good number of years is relatively difficult with an MIM degree as compared to an MBA degree (correct me if wrong).

Besides the salary bump in subsequent years for MBA grads is significantly higher than that for MIM grads.

$95k is approximately 72,000€. Although I can believe that a few German MBA grads might manage to earn that much, it is definitely not the expected nor average salary for foreign grads with a German MBA. In fact many foreign MBA grads struggle to even find a job. You might want to ask the Indian MBA grad from Job prospects with MBA & MSCE - can't speak German for his opinion as well.

I did speak with 2 Indians ,one who graduated from HHL and another from Pforzheim univ. Both of them have bagged jobs and so have their other Indian colleagues.

Hopefully I'll get to speak with some more people who have graduated in past 1-2 years. That should help me assess the situation more correctly.