Sparkling water recommended for water consumption

44 posts in this topic

Well, I have a job that is physically exhausting and during the summer I easily drink 5 or six litres of water whilst working.

Recently, my company has (very generously!) decided to let employees have water free of charge, which is great if you actually like the bottled stuff - I, however, prefer fresh tap water from a half-litre mug, which I down in one and then refill to enjoy sipping on.

Personally, I see bottled water, whether sparkling or still, as a great creator of plastic that needs to be recycled!

The tap water in and around Munich comes straight from the Alps for goodness sake, why on earth don't more people enjoy it?!!!

I agree that it seems silly to buy bottled water when the tap water is such good quality.

Another health factor to consider is that sparkling water here generally has very high sodium. For people suffering from high blood pressure it's a good idea to read the bottle. They are not all the same. If it says "natriumarm" it should be low sodium (but not as low as tap water). There are also water types that say it is "geeignet für Kindernährung" (or something to that effect), which means it is ok for children or to be used in preparation of children's food. It makes me wonder about the other stuff that is not labelled that way..Does it mean it isn't safe for children?

Another thing I always wonder about it is the high level of lime in the tap water. It ruins appliances, does do something to our bodies too after prolonged use?

I agree that it seems silly to buy bottled water when the tap water is such good quality.

Not really. In Munich tap water is very calcareous, which can increase the risk of kidney stones, especially considering German food does not have much magnesium to counteract it.

Increased risk of kidney stones? Source?

The British Association of Urological Surgeons says that's a myth. (Highest reliable source in my google search.)

http://www.baus.org.uk/Sections/endourology/pag/FAQ_hardness

Biglaa, Biglaa, Biglaa you forgot something. The Coriolis effect of the earth's turning has to be factored in.cs

You're quite right of course Smeeks. However, I figured that by the time he'd counted the bubbles, the rotational forces would have imparted minimal effect and I didn't want to complicate things too much, as by then rate of evaporation and ambient temperature will have to be factored in also.

:-D

Increased risk of kidney stones? Source?

The British Association of Urological Surgeons says that's a myth. (Highest reliable source in my google search.)

http://www.baus.org.uk/Sections/endourology/pag/FAQ_hardness

I read it twice and that is not exactly what it says. Although the first sentence states it, it then compares local tap water with mineral water, which can also have lots of calcium.

First one that popped up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9873217

From other studies it seems it is not the prevailing factor in kidney stone formation but nonetheless it has an impact.

It makes me wonder about the other stuff that is not labelled that way..Does it mean it isn't safe for children?

"für Säuglingsnahrung geeignet" (or similar) means that the mineral content does not exceed certain limits.

If anyone is thinking of buying a Sodastream :

'In 1998 SodaStream was bought by Soda-Club, an Israeli company founded in 1991 by Peter Wiseburgh' ... Source Wikipedia.

Just saying!!

Gen, thanks for the link. There are many scientific studies to find on the internet proving that what hard water is doing to the inside of our bodies is indeed beneficial, but they're all a bit too long and detailed (for me anyway). So here's something boiling it down (who said, put the kettle on?):

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2011/02/hard_water_can_be_bad_for_plum.html

About to start page 3...

The International troll student has gotten just what he wanted...

I am waiting for him to start a topic on Going to the Gym... Spending all that money on a membership, just so that they can die healthier than others!

Yes, definitely a troll.

And Brita filters do NOT purify water. They just make it taste better.

Mineral water in southern countries like Greece or Italy is indeed good and tastes much better than tap water, so it's not useless to buy it.

But German water for 20 cents/bottle from local REWE is total crap. Bottled tap water. This is what is "strange German habit".

But it still won't dehydrate you, which was the OP's inane question.

The key term here is diuretic, which I would expect an "international student" to know.

I can't stand the taste of tap water in Berlin, it tastes like chalk. I only drink bottled water which is dirt cheap compared to the US.

Ironically, my wife can't stand tap water in the US; she says it tastes like a swimming pool :)

Universities should additionally introduce a "Common Sense Test" before taking in international students.

But no test for local students? It's ok for universities to accept stupid kids just because they are German?

I am waiting for him to start a topic on Going to the Gym... Spending all that money on a membership, just so that they can live healthier than others!

FTFY

FTFY

It didnt need fixing...

You will never see me limping around saying " I managed to press 250lbs last night"...

Pedaling a bike that goes mowhere... ...

I worked in US agriculture research for a few years and read lots of interesting research papers. One said that carbonation leaches calcium from bones. Another article, not scientific, (when I was living in Lime Country - South Florida) said that the lime clogs up arteries just like it does the faucet and to add a teaspoon of vinegar to hot tea to dissolve it. Since I've always been considered a bit of a B- I figured I didn't need any more vinegar, but what the heck, I add some anyway. Can't taste it in those orange spice teas. Another aspect of Florida living, I found that carbonated anything does quench thirst better than still but the burp factor means one quick swallow of carbonated followed by still works best for me to hydrate.

I rather like my water slightly sparkling and with hops added - nothing beats a nice, cool Augustiner after a long week of work!

"Hick!" :D