Compulsory bag inspection at the grocery

208 posts in this topic

WTF? Almost everyone in this thread has demonstrated a nuanced understanding between the letter of the law and what is practical. No one wants to sue for being asked to open a backpack. The original question was "Can I refuse and if I do, what (besides hassle) can I expect?"

From what I can tell* based on information in this thread, you can legally refuse, the store will probably huff and puff, and in the end they can waste a lot of your time.

*I'm not a blood-sucking tick lawyer

Why do ppl make such a fuss about showing what is in there bags, I have no problem with this, in fact I ask them if they want to look, they looked stunned,(don't do it anymore these days though, only because of the way they look at you..hehe) now i know why. Also they never look at my card when i sign for goods..i prefer then pin system myself, only cos i like to save paper, i really dislike paper waste.

Have a nice day!

My office colleague saw a woman at Tengelman yesterday go through the store and put a few things in her bag then quietly walk out, she told the cashier and they caught the woman - but apparently looking through people's bags at the till isn't the only solution.

I had a roommate once who worked as a cashier, she said she caught people "forgetting" to put stuff up to be rung up at least weekly, one woman had stacked two cases of water, and in the bottom one had slipped in two bottles of vodka.

Checking under the shopping cart is fine by me...it's a place where things are easily forgotten. Of course if you do forget something down there, I wonder if they'd accuse you of shoplifting or just ring it up.

As luck would have it, I did that last weekend in Lidl, the cashier spotted a wrinkled bit of ginger in the bottom of the trolley and just picked it out and asked if I still wanted it.

Nicely, with a smile.

Still reeling from the shock now.

People who have been already shoplifting are most often to find this practice in Germany offensive. Why would you be insulted by the security check if you're completely clear? I remember that here was a bloke who wrote a complete saga on how he had stolen a 2 Euro worth of switch or something in an electronic store and was caught :D , then the whole forum was helping him to write an appropriate appology letter to the police, court and a shop...it was ridiculous...That is the reason why you're being searched. Germany is overridden with shoplifting (and other types of lifting also), and stores just protect their legal rights not to lose money, they're doing their business on the very low profit margin anyways, so they really cannot afford communist experiments of any kind.

You can't be serious- would you want everyone strip-searched on their way out of a store, or randomly stopped by police on the street on an ongoing basis just to see if something is out of order? There is some right to privacy, after all.

Being "clear", whatever that means, doesn't equate with wanting to be interrogated/have your things searched. It's not fine to search everyone as a blanket rule, without any justification against each individual. Privacy is very important, and not something to be disregarded because you feel there's (misplaced) pride in having your stuff searched and being recognised as one of the "clear" ones. If companies have spent so much money on security for decades now, and have still landed at the point of having no idea who's taking their stuff and so searching everyone, what's the point of continuing to throw money at security measures?

Halleluja to privacy. Some of us ladies have some very weird stuff in our handbags that we do not want others gawping at. Try explaining what a menstrual cup is to someone who never saw one. In a foreign language.

Well, blimey, I found it pretty offensive to be honest, and I've never shoplifted anything, stormwatch. Unless you count the jelly-baby I "stole" through absent mindedness when selecting pick-and-mix sweets at the cinema, aged 6 (had nightmares about the police being after me, and everything) :unsure:

On the other hand, when I lived in Germany I made the conscious decision not to give a sh*t, because the wo/man asking to search my bag probably was told to do so by someone else and kicking up a fuss, however satisfying, would just give her/him a bad day and have little other effect. And while I absolutely agree about privacy not being a small deal, in the end, I can deal with someone seeing my miscellaneous junk. I don't know if planned permanent residence in Germany would have altered my tolerance though.

Dont worry, from the very first millisecond your google search comes up with results, or you switch your mobile phone on your privacy is gone...making such fuss about backpack inspection in a shop is not something worth mentioning.

Because some spying my online affairs can be compared with having to show my private belongings to someone face to face, yes sure, same thing.

Actually, the same thing: just like it's illegal to search bags without reason it's also illegal to spy online without reason. When such a reason arises your bag can be searched and your mobile phone position can be monitored. The same law.

The only difference is that rescue services are allowed to know your position if you call 112. But that's exception which helps saving human lives.

01. just obey them you have nothing to worry if you do not take anything without paying, after while they will starting to trust you. only take few seconds to check this type of backpack, and why big mess for this few seconds?

02. or maybe its in there rules that everybody need to search with backpacks. you know so people in shop cano not help you if they have that type of rule, if they dont end of the day they are in trouble.

So why dont we just live peacefully by spending few seconds ") your patience makes your life better and everybody around you :)

##its my idea,

Because some spying my online affairs can be compared with having to show my private belongings to someone face to face, yes sure, same thing.

In this case, you're only showing your private belongings if you decide to enter someone's private property with a backpack.

01. just obey them you have nothing to worry if you do not take anything without paying, after while they will starting to trust you. only take few seconds to check this type of backpack, and why big mess for this few seconds?

Ah others have said it mostly isnt about the time its about privacy. Maybe you dont want to show every cashier your menstral cup, or butt plug, or blow up sheep, or membership cards for your political party or whatever else.

As for the NSA and other online snooping, well yes thats wrong. But just because privacy isnt absolute doesnt mean we shouldnt try. After all we know the guys at the NSA look at your daughters nude selfies ( http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/07/snowden-nsa-employees-routinely-pass-around-intercepted-nude-photos/ ) but that doesnt mean she should submit to a strip search each time we leave lidl.

Maybe you dont want to show every cashier your menstral cup, or butt plug, or blow up sheep, or membership cards for your political party or whatever else

Simple solution: don't enter their stores (which are private property) with a backpack containing such items.

Simple solution: don't enter their stores (which are private property) with a backpack containing such items.

Thats my prefered solution, but my local edeka (for example) has nowhere for me to store a bag. I have asked the guy on the door and they are willing to pre-search my bags and promise not to accuse me of stealing what I brought with me.

In this case, you're only showing your private belongings if you decide to enter someone's private property with a backpack.

That's still illegal. Even if it's your own house you have no right to search bags of your guests. Entering someone's private property does not make your belongings someone's else property!

I think it's a sense of American self righteousness that makes us think we shouldn't be inconvenienced with a check like this (I say this as an American coping with his own sense of self righteousness).

Example: I was stopped by the Polizei while riding my bike a few months ago. They were stopping everyone on the bike path and checking serial numbers for stolen bikes. I pulled over, they asked to check the serial # on my bike and called it in. I complied, but internally I was at first pi$$ed. "Who do they think they are stopping ME?" "Don't they have better things to do?", etc. Then I realized if it was MY bike that was stolen, I'd want road blocks at every intersection, CSI dusting for prints, the whole works. I wasn't 'inconvenienced' for more than four minutes and in the end concluded this was a good thing. No big deal.

That being said, if there are rules stating a shopkeeper can only look under a bag and not in a bag, well this is Germany and people follow rules. If the rules say they cannot check a bag, they should not be checking bags.

Give me credit, if I was going to steal things I wouldn't target the shit sold at Lidl or Aldi.

So you wouldn't take it for free, but you're prepared to give money for it? ;)