Compulsory bag inspection at the grocery

208 posts in this topic

Bag checks are not about catching shoplifters red-handed. It's about control and convincing potential shoplifters it's not a good idea.

Bag checks are not about catching shoplifters red-handed. It's about control and convincing potential shoplifters it's not a good idea.

Not really, it is more about informing the shoplifters they have to conceal the things somewhere else. It is dumb. Every measure that is uneasy on the REGULAR HONEST customers is pretty much negative for the business. It is like when the DVDs had an unskippable intro video about piracy, only the paying customers were obligated to watch the dumb video while the pirates had either a ripped version or a custom version of the DVD without the intro video.

About a thousand years ago (well maybe not that long) when I was in grad school, four of us did a paper called, "Shoplifting in Tidewater."

We interviewed store managers, clerks, security folks, police, etc. and came up with the following conclusions. The losses incurred were about 50/50. 50% from shoplifting and 50% out the rear door by store employees.

Go figure.

cs

What does that prove? He has a load of old receipts in his bag and only shoplifts goods he has a receipt for.

Good grief.. forward planning, or what?

Let's say someone goes in with a receipt from another store and only puts the items on that receipt into his or her rucksack as they go round the supermarket.

Firstly, you'd have to make sure that the price was the same. Different supermarkets have different prices. And what about special offers? And different brands? The brand of baked beans I can buy in Netto is not the same as the brands I can buy in Kaisers. And if you want to shoplift, say, fruit, then I hope that any fruit is exactly the same weight as the fruit on the receipt you have with you. Etc. etc. etc.

What a lame argument.

Honestly.. a quick glance inside a bag.. what is the big deal?

It's like when they look at my bank card to check my signature when I pay by card. As I say to them... if I were going to shoplift something, I'd take something a lot more expensive than what I am paying for right now. But am I bothered by the check? Nope. It's just not worth getting worried about. Big-o deal-o.

We interviewed store managers, clerks, security folks, police, etc. and came up with the following conclusions. The losses incurred were about 50/50. 50% from shoplifting and 50% out the rear door by store employees.

Go figure.

cs

Which is why at the factory where my parents worked (a white goods factory), the security guards did spot checks of the bags of the people leaving the factory at the end of the day.

Just in case someone was going to do something along the lines of Johnny Cash's song "One Piece at a Time".

Did the workers get all huffy about it? Nope. Those were the rules.

Good grief.. forward planning, or what?

Let's say someone goes in with a receipt from another store and only puts the items on that receipt into his or her rucksack as they go round the supermarket.

Firstly, you'd have to make sure that the price was the same. Different supermarkets have different prices. And what about special offers? And different brands? The brand of baked beans I can buy in Netto is not the same as the brands I can buy in Kaisers. And if you want to shoplift, say, fruit, then I hope that any fruit is exactly the same weight as the fruit on the receipt you have with you. Etc. etc. etc.

Since we are talking about supermarkets, in most of them the items do not have prices. And shoplifters do not go around stealing a whole trolley of items at the same time. They normally take one or two not-so-cheap items.

What a lame argument.

It is a big deal because it is against my privacy.

It's like when they look at my bank card to check my signature when I pay by card. As I say to them... if I were going to shoplift something, I'd take something a lot more expensive than what I am paying for right now. But am I bothered by the check? Nope. It's just not worth getting worried about. Big-o deal-o.

Your analogy does not make sense.

What does that prove? He has a load of old receipts in his bag and only shoplifts goods he has a receipt for.

But that takes all the fun out of shoplifting :-)

Nope, hence why I didn't say that. I think it's a way to give the impression they are in control, something to deter people from shoplifting, and some new manager's latest idea-linked-to-bonus to solve the shoplifting problem.

Going on 24 yrs. and it never happened to me.

Perhaps you need to put a plastic fruit arrangement on your head. (see profile pic)

Oh, and this thread has been done a gazillion times already.

It is a big deal because it is against my privacy.

They should have a big sign at the entrance saying: "NO BAGS, unless you consent to having your bag inspected".

Don´t forget the losses occured on all stolen goods are added onto the price which all honest shoppers pay.

Checking bags doesn't prevent it from happening. Those who shoplift on a regular basis will get caught with 100% probability. That's enough. We can also be like Republicans and complain that we have to pay for jails. But we are not Republicans, right?

This has never happened to me and I often bring a backpack with me to the grocery store.

It's the nanny state. It's CONTROL [reading between the lines = Nazi]. And I'm saying that as a registered [formerly Repuglican, Mormon] Democrat. B)

Perhaps you need to put a plastic fruit arrangement on your head. (see profile pic)

:D

If your bag is large enough, you can stick one of these 'head in a jar' pranks in it.. or modify the contents and shrink the jar & pic for a smaller fit. Be prepared for a major scene with polizei, terrified screams, and lots of drama. You can always say it's an 'art project'

How to..

Get creative! check out Justin Bieber below

post-19855-14062470112816.jpg

post-19855-14062477388367.jpg

"It's like when they look at my bank card to check my signature when I pay by card. As I say to them... if I were going to shoplift something, I'd take something a lot ... (show full quote)

Your analogy does not make sense. "

Sorry.. I meant to say that when they check the signature that I have just put on the piece of paper for them against my signature on my debit card.. it's like they think I might have stolen the card. How dare they think that, eh? As I said.. if I had stolen that card, I'd make sure I'd take things that cost a lot more than what I am paying for. But they check my signature against my bank card... even in the haberdashery department of Karstadt, when all I'm buying is some wool and thread. If you really want to, you could take that as a personal insult. But I have better things to get upset about.

Yeah, except checking signatures is expected behavior (why would cards have signature panels otherwise?), while checking anyone's bags (or even just asking in a friendly way if they might possibly take a peek) is against the law, plain and simple.

Checking signatures is ridiculous also, because the thief can just sit and learn to reproduce the signature. There is no way a cashier can recognize forged signature from the real one, only an expert can.

These signatures in reality only protect from fraud by legitimate card owner who says like "I didn't buy that" and initiates cash return.

I also have a problem that my signature when I sit at the desk is different from signature when I stand at the counter. Once it was so different that I was asked for Ausweis, which I don't carry. Guess what happened? Nothing.

It's common practice in the US to write "see driver's license" instead of signing debit and credit cards. The security against fraud provided by a signature is a phantom, anyway.

...while checking anyone's bags (or even just asking in a friendly way if they might possibly take a peek) is against the law, plain and simple.

"Officer, please arrest the cashier s/he asked to peek into my bag in a friendly way." Yeah, right! :rolleyes: