Compulsory bag inspection at the grocery

208 posts in this topic

I've been asked a few times in higher risk areas like Kottbusser Tor. Now I use a large blue ikea bag, I always flip it open onto the end of the conveyor to quickly shove shopping directly in - also has the added bonus that cashier can see directly in.

I've more an issue with the unsmiling cashiers which hurl my shopping at light speed down the conveyor...

but what grounds do they have to call the police?

If they suspect someone of shoplifting and when the person is asked to open their bag and refuses they can call the police who will make them open their bag.

Just ignore their request and just walk out and let them physically assault you. Also have a friend film the whole proceeds. After, contact a lawyer asap and sue.

If they suspect someone of shoplifting and when the person is asked to open their bag and refuses they can call the police who will make them open their bag.

same in UK.

You can also request the police to be present for the bag inspection.

Hey Mr/Mrs? dulwich, Are you a former resident of that sole civilised corner of south London?

I think there's a different problem to the one being discussed. It's not that they suspect you personally of shoplifting; it's that they are applying this strange process to everyone carrying a bag, in my experience. That's why they ask the question (if they can look), because they believe it covers them legally to look, when you have given them permission. I'd imagine they wouldn't ask you this question, if they actually thought you are guilty of shoplifting.

So you think they are basically annoying the people who they think are not shoplifting. Again, it does not sound like a good marketing strategy.

Just to be clear it is defamation to ask you, every single person asked can sue, also defamation is a criminal offence in Germany. As for the fact they ask everyone, this is also not allowed, the Police do not have dragnet powers for fishing trips, so why would a store. The store can always ban you, but that just adds to the sum you would sue for defamation. If you repeat a defamation that compounds the damage.

In My home country of Ireland amounts of 10 thousand have been awarded in defamation suits for accusations of shop lifthing by searching peoples bags that turned out had not stolen anything, just one of those cultural issues. In Germany people only sue to bully easy targets such as neighbours, not go after big companies Germans love of authority. But no shop would have any legal defence for such an invasion of privacy.

So a good answer next time you are asked to open bag, is sorry but you have no legal right, if you insist then that is accusing me of stealing, I will then open my bag but then sue you. do you still wish to insist on me opening my bag ?.

By the way the the comments about being in Germany, actually legally ECHR which is European civil rights apply to all member states apply above any local law, and article 8 right to privacy, Gillan and Quinton v United Kingdom (2010) — Stop and search powers granted to police under the ss 44–47 of the Terrorism Act 2000 were neither sufficiently circumscribed nor subject to adequate legal safeguards against abuse. As such, the Court found the powers not to be ‘in accordance with the law’, in violation of art 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

If a states police have to reasonable suspicion for search rights against suspected terorists, do you really think Aldi and Lidl have soem special authority, that would exempt them from European law?

So you would prefer all shoplifters to get away while you pay for your products because nobody gets their bags checked?

So, it's really going to hurt you to just open you bag for a couple of seconds for them to have a peek inside? Or have you got any dark secrets hidden in there? ;)

Edit: if they wanted to strip search you that would be an entirely different matter!

So, it's really going to hurt you to just open you bag for a couple of seconds for them to have a peek inside? Or have you got any dark secrets hidden in there?

I did it in Israel. In every single shop, at train and bus stations. But they are not looking for shoplifters, they are looking for bombs/weapons. Do you really think that it's ok to convert a country into a war zone just because there are a couple of thieves around?

Edit: if they wanted to strip search you that would be an entirely different matter!

That you would tell the next generation which will be used to showing bags. They will tell that strip searching should not hurt if there is nothing to hide.

So you would prefer all shoplifters to get away while you pay for your products because nobody gets their bags checked?

It gets worse: you're actually paying for these shoplifters: part of the price you pay at a store reflects the costs of shoplifting.

Personally, I don't mind having my bags checked if that means catching more shoplifters. I always ask for receipts anyway, and just throw them in the bag with everything else. If I am ever checked, the receipts will provide ample proof that I've paid for whatever's in my bags.

It gets worse: you're actually paying for these shoplifters: part of the price you pay at a store reflects the costs of shoplifting.

Personally, I don't mind having my bags checked if that means catching more shoplifters. I always ask for receipts anyway, and just throw them in the bag with everything else. If I am ever checked, the receipts will provide ample proof that I've paid for whatever's in my bags.

Not really, you could just be a clever shoplifter who's stuffed a load of receipts into your bag before going on a shoplifting trip.

What does that prove? He has a load of old receipts in his bag and only shoplifts goods he has a receipt for.