Compulsory bag inspection at the grocery

188 posts in this topic

People just complain about everything.   There is still plenty of trust in customers here in Germany, you can see tons of shops with all the merchandise outside of the shop and no one taking care of it, you as a customer are expected to take the item and bring it into the shop and pay for it.

 

Yes, sometimes they want to see inside your trolley in case you forgot something.   But Krieg ... in my country they don't do that.  Sure, maybe because they have a giant mirror on top of the trolley area so the cashier can see your empty trolley without bending over.

 

And yes, sometimes they want to see your bags, why? because for whatever reason they think you were acting suspicious.  Of course if you are not white you will blame this to racism.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though to be fair I did have an African friend here who was often asked to take her baby out of the pram at a supermarket here so they could check under him.   Not sure in what way she looked dodgy, always smartly turned out compared to me (it is a look I struggle with).  No-one ever asked me to do that with any of my babies.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course sh*t happens, but is not 100% based on racism and most times is not even discrimination.   

 

I am in some Facebook expat groups for the fun of reading shenanigans, imagine TT Fridays Thread every day, every hour.  And the kind of crap I have to read make me lose hope in humanity.   Just yesterday there was a big discussion about paying with EC card of credit card and the cashier requesting for ID, they were all blaming it to racism.   I tried to explain them that most times this is because the point of sale software says to request ID and it is the job of the cashier to request the ID. And that those policies are very different from shop to shop and from the payment system itself.  But no, it must be all racism.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate it when I use a credit card and they don’t at least check the signature. Would have no problem showing my ID as well. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019, 1:12:09, BayrischDude said:

Not checking the trolley also has legal implications.  Theft, perhaps.

At least here in the Allgäu, most stores have a mirror that hangs above the wee lane that is slightly tilted.  Seems to allow more on a discrent(er) means to look at the trolley without it being more obvious.

There's a huge, freshly renovated Edeka near me. They did something very clever: they mounted a small mirror on the arm that holds the cash register monitor. It, in turn, is aimed at the mirror hanging from the ceiling that lets them look into the shopping cart to make sure it's empty. So they can be very subtle with their checks now and don't even have to look up to the ceiling.

 

36 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

I hate it when I use a credit card and they don’t at least check the signature. Would have no problem showing my ID as well. 

That problem will likely end soon, at least. I always opted out of having a PIN for my MasterCard because I never thought I'd need it. But I just got a new one, because my old card physically broke, and they told me PINs are mandatory now. You'll get one when your current credit card expires at the latest.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

I hate it when I use a credit card and they don’t at least check the signature.

My signature is sloppy and different each time I sign something (smaller space=one way, larger space=another).  It's not like supermarket clerks are trained handwriting experts or that they have the time to carefully examine every transaction.  I've never had anyone compare mine...ever.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2019, 07:52:27, Krieg said:

People just complain about everything.   There is still plenty of trust in customers here in Germany, you can see tons of shops with all the merchandise outside of the shop and no one taking care of it, you as a customer are expected to take the item and bring it into the shop and pay for it.

 

Yes, sometimes they want to see inside your trolley in case you forgot something.   But Krieg ... in my country they don't do that.  Sure, maybe because they have a giant mirror on top of the trolley area so the cashier can see your empty trolley without bending over.

 

And yes, sometimes they want to see your bags, why? because for whatever reason they think you were acting suspicious.  Of course if you are not white you will blame this to racism.

 

Suspicious post. I think you need some global cultural training to offset your provincial upbringing. Maybe you have some tendencies.

People post all manner of complaints on here and no one cares. Maybe you are being a tad too sensitive.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2015, 12:48:20, foreign in fatherland said:

In all my time in Germany (3 years) it has happened to me often. If they know you are foreign I believe it is more likely to happen. If you can't speak good German and do not know your legal rights they love to try and take advantage. I suggest you Give them a quick look i.e. with their eyes, not a 'rummage' through your personal possessions with their hands and thats all. Say thank you and be on your way. There is absolutley nothing else they can do or have any rights to do so (assuming you have not stolen anything) etc etc.

 

Whatever you do, do not I repeat DO NOT insult the clerk, security guard etc - this they love and you would be falling directly into their trap - in Germany insults mean money - unless you have a good lawyer and can afford to pay them - without insurance it costs around 500 euros to make an insult case (Belidigung) go away...

I've been in Germany for 12 years and it's never happened to me. Strange. Are they all racist?

 

On 6/16/2015, 12:48:20, foreign in fatherland said:

In all my time in Germany (3 years) it has happened to me often. If they know you are foreign I believe it is more likely to happen. If you can't speak good German and do not know your legal rights they love to try and take advantage. I suggest you Give them a quick look i.e. with their eyes, not a 'rummage' through your personal possessions with their hands and thats all. Say thank you and be on your way. There is absolutley nothing else they can do or have any rights to do so (assuming you have not stolen anything) etc etc.

 

Whatever you do, do not I repeat DO NOT insult the clerk, security guard etc - this they love and you would be falling directly into their trap - in Germany insults mean money - unless you have a good lawyer and can afford to pay them - without insurance it costs around 500 euros to make an insult case (Belidigung) go away...

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now