U.S. southern cooking

58 posts in this topic

I think the hardest thing to leave behind once I am permanently in Germany will be real honest to god 9-hour slow-smoke barbeque. KC, NC or Texas style, I love them all. I've seen the looks of enlightenment pass over German faces when I've taken them out to my favorite places -- what seems to stand for BBQ in Germany is that sad and wimpy "baby-back" stuff. I make a kick-ass spice rub at this point and do a pretty decent job of manning the pit but true mastery is a matter of decades, not years.

How does one ask for brisket in German, anyway? ;)

I also love okra. There, I said it.

KC, NC or Texas style, I love them all.

Damn northerners wouldn't know a BBQ from a grill out. ;)

KC, NC or Texas style, I love them all

You left out the best BBQ, MEMPHIS. I have had all of the above mentioned and nothing is as good as Corky's, Rendezous, Interstate or any of the small BBQ joints along Beale St.

I haven't had memphis style. Obviously this must be remedied. Description please?

I also love okra. There, I said it.

What the hells not to love about okra? In your location, I used to get my fried okra fix at Grandys on Neil Street in Champaign. Mind now, I had to cross the border from Urbana but it was worth the trip ;)

Grandy's, eh? 1905 N. Neil Street -- hm I have to figure out where that is. Wouldn't that put it near the I-74 exits?

Did you ever go to any of the local BBQ places in town? Some are not half bad.

How does one ask for brisket in German, anyway?

according to Leo.org brisket is rinderbrust or bruststück.

edit: does anyone know if you can get good collards here? I have a recipe for collards stuffed with blackeyed peas, ham and topped with carmalized onions that I want to make. I know that it is Kohlblätter in German but not necessarily the same that we use at home. Collard greens are vegetables that are members of the cabbage family, but are also close relatives to kale. I just want to make sure I am getting the right thing.

from What's cooking America

Southerners love their greens. A time-honored tradition in southern kitchens, greens have held an important place on the table for well over a century, and there is no other vegetable that is quite so unique to the region. Greens are any sort of cabbage in which the green leaves do not form a compact head. They are mostly kale, collards, turnip, spinach, and mustard greens.

In the Southern states, a large quantity of greens to serve a family is commonly referred to as a "mess o' greens." The exact quantity that constitutes a "mess" varies with the size of the family.

The traditional way to cook greens is to boil or simmer slowly with a piece of salt pork or ham hock for a long time (this tempers their tough texture and smoothes out their bitter flavor) until they are very soft. Typically, greens are served with freshly baked corn bread to dip into the pot-likker. Pot likker is the highly concentrated, vitamin-filled broth that results from the long boil of the greens. It is, in other words, the "liquor" left in the pot.

In spite of what some consider their unpleasant smell, reaction to the smell of cooking greens separates true southern eaters from wannabes.

According to folklore, collards served with black-eyed peas and hog jowl on New Year's Day promises a year of good luck and financial reward, hanging a fresh leaf over your door will ward off evil spirits, and a fresh leaf placed on the forehead promises to cure a headache.

Written by Linda Stradley

I would be looking for something like this:

mmm...I can almost smell them cooking. The smell of the boiling water with apple cider vinegar, ham and the greens.

post-6260-1145525695.jpg

Is there any place one can buy GRITS? As a Northerner, I found Southern food exotic-- then I moved to D-land and I miss it. Maybe someone has a recipe for sausage gravy? And now that I think of it--stone-ground white cornmeal?

Southern Fried Chicken, home made mac and cheese, corn bread, Collard Greens, Sweet potatos or Yams...yummmmmm.

And break out a Hurricane or Old English, wait thats ghetto not white trash...oh break out a 40 of beast!!! OMB...good times!

Oh and don't forget Passion Punch...or purple passion whatever that stuff was in the cooler, the white trash liquor punch! Tasty though, just keep the everclear out of it!

Try All Recipes for the Country Gravy. I tried this one because it looked the simplest but I made an error, I subbed pan drippings/oil for the corn oil and it came out an unappetizing grayish colour with a slightly burned taste. Next time I'll probably stick to the original recipe or just go all out and try one of the more complicated ones.

You have to use pan drippings for any type of gravy. It gives it the best flavor. I think country gravy is supposed to be gray anyways. Or at elast everytime I make bisquits and gravy with country gravy it is that color.

Country gravy or sawmill gravy should be white with flecks of pepper all in it. Damn, I need to make me some biscuits and gravy. Now I will have to pull out my Tennessee Pride. :P

White, gray not much difference. I love making that stuff with spicy sausage and some flaky bisquits...scheisse, now I am hungry.

Is there any place one can buy GRITS?

Only if you have connections to a US military base. Otherwise you have to import from the US

as I have never found it any any german stores.

I have an extra container of grits. Brand: Giant Food Stores (DC area, probably rebadged Quaker product). I might be convinced to part with them.

Chicken-fried steak, nothing more than a Wienerschnitzel made with beef, although it can either be breaded or batter-dipped. Cornpone, collards-n-kale, propuh fried chicken, and yes, barbeque. Me, I'm partial to Memphis style: dry rubs and slow heat.

woof.