Frustrated with lack of rental reponses.

15 posts in this topic

Hi there, I've been reading the forums and I have been doing my own searching. I've gotten to the point where I don't know what else to do. I just want to find a place to live that's in my budget, not in a scary area, and allows pets and I have been having a hard time getting anyone to respond. I have a friend who lives in Berlin and I feel bad asking her for help, as she has no free time. But I feel I need a local there to do this leg work for me.

I won't have any time to search and GO TO a place to view it before I rent a place since I will be traveling with my pet, I don't want to "move twice".

I've searched on wg-gesucht.de and immobilienscout24.de but as I mentioned I've not gotten many responses.

I understand purchasing a property is more complex, however the prices seem to be a better value than renting. But I feel this would resolve most of my issues concerning poor response and meeting my criteria.

If I were to buy a place, say $100k What sort of hoops would I be expected to jump thru considering I'm an American. I'd have a reasonable down payment of $10k cash. Would this be sufficient along with my financial records?

Sorry if this thread is more of a complaint, than a question. I just don't know what to do any my time is running out to find a place as I will be moving, Sept 24.

-Daniel

It would be hard to convince a German bank to provide the mortgage with only 10% down payment. You can search for other topics regarding this with the search function on the top right of the page. One example

You've not mentioned your family situation, your job, your income, or your visa status, all of which are very relevant to get long-term support from a bank. Bear in mind too that you'll pay around 10-12% of the purchase cost in non-recoverable fees (agency, lawyer, notary, taxes), which also needs to be taken into account when considering your financial plan and cannot normally be financed by a loan.

I just want to find a place to live that's in my budget, not in a scary area, and allows pets and I have been having a hard time getting anyone to respond.

What is your budget? Berlin and Germany don't really do "scary areas" - what are your criteria for a "scary area"?

Most landlords will not bother responding to mails, because they have enough response without it. And most landlords will insist on meeting you personally before deciding whether to rent to you. Not to mention that renting something sight unseen is a recipe for disaster.

I won't have any time to search and GO TO a place to view it before I rent a place since I will be traveling with my pet, I don't want to "move twice".

You may not have a choice. Go for a temporary solution, look for a sublet here on TT, or search for a Ferienwohnung (holiday let) or AirBnB or similar. This will give you a furnished place for the short-term, and allow you to look intensively once you get to Berlin.

If you haven't yet, please read this TT Wiki page on renting accommodation in Germany. It gives information on how the German system works (very different to what you're used to from the US), vocabulary help to understand ads, and suggestions on where to look for online ads.

I understand purchasing a property is more complex, however the prices seem to be a better value than renting.

Buying property in Germany - be it a flat or a house - is not wise, certainly not until you know what your longer-term plans are, and can understand German and the German system well enough to know exactly what you're getting yourself into. The housing market here in Germany is VERY different from many other countries. For more information, please use the search function - up top right of the page. A simple search will give you threads with your key words in the thread title, a Google-powered search (from the simple search results page) will give you the threads with your key words anywhere in the thread.

There is no way in heck you will get a mortgage for even a miniscule amount in Germany!

For that, you need an established visa status and and a job no longer in the 6 month probation period!

Your only chance of buying property in Germany as of now is plunking down the price and all fees in cash from elsewhere.

And btw, the same applies to buying US property from outside the country, too. ;)

In a nutshell, go with a hostel or Mr Lodge, and don't rent sight sight unseen from a private person. 99% of the remote rentals are scams. Read up on Toytown, and flatshares can be found in Berlin once you are there. However, very few jobs.

Thanks for all the responses from everyone. :)

Very insightful. You are all correct, I am just used the the way real estate is done in the USA. I need to throw this out the window entirely it would seem.

From my research it did appear I would need a larger down payment on homes. They seem to be giving away mortgages in the USA, at least here in Texas where I'm from. My family and I were considering buying a place longer term.

I will be living here solo as a bachelor.

So... Regarding my rental situation:

My budget is €600~800ish with utilities included (water/gas/electric..I'll pay for my own internet as I will be working remote to the office)

My VISA status would be Independent Contractor/Artist Visa.

Regarding "scary" locations, I just meant some places that I've seen in adverts look like they're built in between old abandoned industrial facilities. I'm not too concerned with my personal safety, just more of an observation.

Regarding "scary" locations, I just meant some places that I've seen in adverts look like they're built in between old abandoned industrial facilities. I'm not too concerned with my personal safety, just more of an observation.

You'd probably pay a premium for that level of coolness.

I would think finding accommodation would be more important than traveling...

Thanks for all the responses from everyone.

Very insightful. You are all correct, I am just used the the way real estate is done in the USA. I need to throw this out the window entirely it would seem.

From my research it did appear I would need a larger down payment on homes. They seem to be giving away mortgages in the USA, at least here in Texas where I'm from. My family and I were considering buying a place longer term.

I will be living here solo as a bachelor.

So... Regarding my rental situation:

My budget is €600~800ish with utilities included (water/gas/electric..I'll pay for my own internet as I will be working remote to the office)

My VISA status would be Independent Contractor/Artist Visa.

Well, it depends. Some areas in the Ruhr Area around old abandoned industrial facilities are the nicest places in the cities because that is where gentrification is taking place or already has taking place. I worked at school right at one of said places and the few appointments I had in the evenings I felt safe walking alone to the train station and I am a small woman.

Where are you planning to move to? In some places €600~800 will get you a pretty large place and others you will be lucky to find something much bigger than a closet for that.

Where are you from in the US? Scary is very subjective, IMO. When I first moved here my wife and I would get off a train and she'd say it was a bad neighborhood, but by my standards it was perfectly fine.

You might find that availability and choice rises in direct proportion to the amount you're willing to spend.... Go higher and save yourself the hassle of buying if it's only short term (€1200 from your €10k will cover a nicer place for 1 year).

i believe he mentioned it was 10K USD.

Hi Daniel,

actually, I am currently looking for someone to sublet my apartment to.

How long are you planning to stay in Berlin?

What kind of pet do you have?

It's quite urgent on my side, as I will be leaving on the 28th of July.

The flat is great, I love it, reason why I am subletting and not leaving it until I am sure. It's located on the Kastanienallee in Prenzlauer Berg (so not a scary location..), right in the city center.

It is a one bedroom apartment, furnished, very luminous, with a wide living with an equipped open kitchen (oven, dishwasher..) giving on the Kastanienallee and a bedroom + bathroom giving on a big quiet garden on the other side.

Eventhough it is located in the city center, there is a private garden of 400 sqm one can use in summer to relax.

It is a small building dating of 1877, so composed of only 8 apartments, fully renovated about 10 years ago.. so all is in a mint condition.

The flat comes furnished, with linen.. all you need for a comfortable stay. Some of my things will be there, but not much.

The rent all incl (electricity, heating, charges, also internet and tel.) is 690,00 EUR/month.

The rent is good for the location, but I am just covering my costs while I am travelling.. not making any profit.

The flat should be available from July 28th until end of October.. maybe more.

I really need to sublet it quickly, because I will be paying rent elsewhere and can not bear both.

For more information+pics, please contact me by email: cinqueterre@free.fr or by phone: +49 (0)178 6714164 (if you are already in Berlin, the easiest would be to call to see the flat directly).

Hope it can help!

S

Here is a link with pictures:

http://berlin.de.craigslist.de/sub/4578690830.html

I have put the rent down to 680,00 EUR because I need to find someone quickly!!

One month is also ok.

Mortgage? No chance.

As a married UK couple with decent income, 30k deposit, German banks offered us 30% of 90k subject to valuation. It would have be quite a process compared to the UK, so we didn't go ahead - took at UK bank loan instead.