Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for German lessons in Regensburg

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have recently moved to Regensburg and I am looking for German lessons (private or group) that takes place after 6:30PM. I am not totally newbie in German language. I am looking for something 2x a week.

Can anyone give me a hint on where to find classes/private teachers?

Thanks!

fcabrini

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm hoping to find something decent through the university when I start my course there in October, but it's always good to know about any other decent classes in the area :) I just have an A2, but have studied past that and will be looking to get my B1 by the end of the year.

I'd have to recommend the VHS, classes are on Tues and Thurs evenings, and it's cheap.

I did 6 months at Inlingua on Saturday mornings, and I think I learned more at the VHS.

Hi Bobby,

I have been told just the opposite :-)

Anyway I am at InLingua which is not bad at all. But if you really want to learn German fast, then go to Horizonte.

Really helpful, I will make a note of all of these! I think it might come down to scheduling, though I'd love to find a cheap class that's good.

Do you find your teachers there are all native German speakers? I've found the most progress I've made is with a Polish German teacher. I'm sure this is not the case all the time, but she is able to explain difficult grammar points from the viewpoint of someone who's had to learn German themselves. I'm happy with either, but it would be interesting to know if the teachers at those schools are usually German or of different nationalities.

My teachers have been German, I think that's kind of a requirement.

It definitely depends on the person. At Inlingua, there was 2 of us in the class, and later one more joined, so it is definitely more intimate, the teacher can spend more time on an individual...

The VHS was a much bigger class, so I can see, and did see, how some slower learners could fall behind.

I agree with you about the teacher being able to explain some grammar points... Germans have learned it since the beginning, so some things they can't make sense of.

For example, at the VHS, we had "Ich schenke das Buch meine Oma." And then the teacher showed us that we could also say, "Ich schenke ihr es." Where the 2 nouns switched position in the sentence.

I asked my teacher if he could explain why they change position, he could only say, "es ist so."

InLingua sounds appealing from that perspective. My usual German classes have stopped for the summer, but I continued with my teacher privately - sometimes with another student, sometimes just me. I feel like my understanding improved massively with more one-on-one teaching, however, sometimes it's nice to engage with a larger class.

I volunteer teach English sometimes (I haven't had real training but just help out at a free class), and it can be so difficult to explain certain grammar points in English.

I actually just covered that point in my German class, and my teacher was able to explain it which is a massive help. Still can't do it quickly without going through the cases in my head though :rolleyes: