Smoking in public places

218 posts in this topic

There is a LONG list of replies to the original question, however I have not found ONE that answers the question. Most answers are either touting a personal view on smoking, or berating another person's response.

Is public smoking banned in Berlin (Kudamm area). Can one smoke in a bar for instance.

Please just respond to the above question. NO smart a*s answers are needed. Just a normal, honest, and true as far as you know, answer.

Thank you

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have.

george, you do not get to decide which kind of answers you receive. This is a public forum explicitly designed for discussion and there is no reason to assume that you will agree with all of the responses.

Please just respond to the above question. NO smart a*s answers are needed. Just a normal, honest, and true as far as you know, answer.

You can't expect people to give "honest and normal" answer if you don't bother reading it. Answer is given in post N 3.

Just another proof that smoking is harmful.

was wondering what the rules are for smoking outside, but still within the premises of an apartment building (e.g. the courtyard)? We have a common back garden in an altbau building. I'm not sure if it's not supposed to be allowed or not, however I've gotten a couple of death stares and one lady asking which apartment number I'm living in.

the death stares are probably because not all your neighbors know you yet and wonder what kind of weirdo is standing around in their courtyard smoking cigarettes.

Most smoking Germans either smoke inside, only in the kitchen, or on the balcony, if they have one.  If a smoker doesn't have a balcony but doesn't want smoke in his whole home, he smokes in the kitchen.  Going out into the Hof is not really usual, I would think.

And, if for some crazy upside-down reason smoking isn't allowed in the courtyard, there would probably be a sign, but if you want to be really sure, check your rental agreement.

Otherwise, not prohibited to smoke in a courtyard.  But you maybe stand out from the others in a new place.  They don't know you and you are hanging around their Hof, not behaving like someone who lives there, what are you up to?  I would guess the "death stares" are more likely glares of distrust. 

I agree with dessa.  I'd add, though, that especially if you are smoking in the innenhof, be mindful of where your butts and ashes are going.  I have a neighbor who smokes in the hof and she ashes and throws her butts in an uncovered garbage can next to the playground, which is only a few meters from my apartment. I can't tell you how much it STINKS!  Fresh smoke from afar I can handle, but having windows in any proximity to what is now essentially a giant ashtray is something else entirely. 

After it rains?  No.  just no.

eta: another neighbor likes to drop her butts from her balcony into the garden below.  do I need to say "no"?  I hope not ;) 

noooo...she's very sweet.  I haven't discussed it with her (yet) as I know she would be simply horrified.  Strangely, it's more of a predicament than if she were mean or unfriendly or even just...nothing in particular :)

How is the smoking situation nowadays in Heidelberg, particularly in regards to public transit stops and in the Bahnstadt area? Can one generally get around without having to deal with smoke?

Greetings from Heidelberg

Yes, you have to deal with smoke, thousends of tourist died from it last year.

Better stay in Berlin.

It has become basically impossible for me. Even with all windows and doors shut, smoke seeps well into my apartment. If I try to air things out, without fail within five minutes there is someone else smoking in the doorway between the building's entry hall and courtyard and it somehow largely gets sucked into my apartment several floors above. At large bus stops there are large and prolific groups of smokers and at smaller ones there are just smaller groups who chain smoke until the bus arrives. This can be a very unpleasant 20+ min wait with nowhere to hide (often this happens when the bus is running irregularly, so I can't just walk somewhere to wait it out). At work the elevator is effectively a smoke chamber even long after the offending occupants have departed (the smokers use it to get up one flight; I am often transporting larger objects and can't take the stairs) and several (mostly student) colleagues smell very strongly of smoke. I try to be flexible in my working space to get away from them, but I do sometimes have to be at my desk. This is all at a supposedly "smoke free" office. I would very much like to live somewhere where I don't have to fight so hard just to breathe clean (or at least non-stinky) air. Could I reasonably take trams and such in Heidelberg without waiting for it in an ashtray? Or eat outside on a nice day without the neighboring table contributing its own flavor?

I suspect with the innenhof thing, it's because the smoke rises and goes into the apartments through the windows and makes their apartments smell. In the office where I work, it's a sort of square shape and in the centre there's an innenhof. I work on the 1st floor and if we have the windows to the innenhof open and a smoker is out there, then it all just comes through the window and spreads around and it smells as if someone is actually smoking in the office. I think sometimes smokers don't realise how much the smoke spreads. On the face of it, of course smoking outdoors should be legal, you're outside! There's plenty of air to go around! But in reality it's not actually like that. The thing that I hate is when I'm walking along the pavement and I'm overtaken by a smoker, and the smoke just drifts on back to me for the whole duration they're in front. You can't escape it because even if you slow down and put some distance between you it still somehow drifts all the way back and it's like walking through a smoke cloud. I guess you have to just cross the road to get away. But I mean I don't want to be one of those people ranting and telling smokers not to smoke in public places because then where would they smoke? But it is unpleasant. 

I understand your post, Acton. I´m an ex-chain smoker, by the way. I also never liked it when I was on a bus or a train or the S-Bahn and sat next to people who had not showered and stank to high heaven.