Smoking in public places

218 posts in this topic

Is smoking in public not illegal in Germany? Everytime I go to an outdoor space at a bar, people are smoking like chimneys and even inside some venues. What's the deal? I used to smoke years ago but it's very much considered a social leper activity back home...

Related topic: How deadly is smoking?

No one in Germany smokes. It's against the law. If you saw them smoking, you should blow the whistle immediately.

Is it Friday again, have I slept for a week? But to answer your question - it is not illegal to smoke outdoors.

Is smoking in public not illegal in Germany?

No. Smoking in public in the open is legal everywhere.

Everytime I go to an outdoor space at a bar, people are smoking like chimneys and even inside some venues. What's the deal?

It depends on where you are but since you didn't add a location to your profile no one can give you a customized response.

I used to smoke years ago but it's very much considered a social leper activity back home ...

And animal haters consider themselves superior to animal lovers. That's the way life is.

You also pretty much can't leave the house without running into militante Nichtraucher either nowadays.

all depends on what you are smoking... B)

You also pretty much can't leave the house without running into militante Nichtraucher either nowadays.

Strange, I thought I was the only one in the whole of Hessen... certainly seems that way, most days.

haha i just never noticed smoking so much back home. Australia was big on making smoking harder: restricted areas (including outside, hence why I mentioned it, and definitely no smoking indoors, photos of rotting limbs on cigarette packs, high prices, no advertising. But in Germany, It's like every wind has a draft of nicotine-;)

I don't even get the choice of staying indoors to avoid the stench because our neighbours are apparently chain smokers who smoke on their balcony directly under our bedroom whenever we're about to get in to bed which means we can't go to sleep with the window open. Of course they have a right to smoke in their own home, so we can't say anything about it, but what about our right to not have someone else's cancer fumes wafting in to our home?

(apologies if that opinion makes me a 'militant')

definitely no smoking indoors, photos of rotting limbs on cigarette packs, high prices, no advertising. But in Germany, It's like every wind has a draft of nicotine-

As sarabyrd said:

It depends on where you are but since you didn't add a location to your profile no one can give you a customized response.

I don't even get the choice of staying indoors to avoid the stench because our neighbours are apparently chain smokers who smoke on their balcony directly under our bedroom whenever we're about to get in to bed which means we can't go to sleep with the window open. Of course they have a right to smoke in their own home, so we can't say anything about it, but what our right to not have someone else's cancer fumes wafting in to our home?

(apologies if that opinion makes me a 'militant')

Do you hold the same opinion of people who drive past your home with their cars spitting out nasty fumes? Because those are far worse.

I'm anti smoking but it is legal so I keep my mouth shut. It's offensive to me but so are a lot of things. You gotta pick your battles. What really frustrates me is watching people throw their butts on the ground. It's a terrible habit especially when public ashtrays might be near by. And if not plan accordingly. Littering is not ok.

Hazza that's a valid argument from a health standpoint, but I smell the cigarette smoke coming from the street up on the third floor & have never smelled the fumes of a car driving by.

Some smoke, some drink, some overeat...whatever

Do you hold the same opinion of people who drive past your home with their cars spitting out nasty fumes? Because those are far worse.

I don't have a car parked outside my bedroom window with the engine running, but if I did, I would have the right to tell the owner to either move the car or turn off the engine, as I said, I can't say anything to our downstairs neighbours because they have the supposed right to smoke on their balcony.

car exhaust is mostly toxins, cigarette smoke contains traces of radioactive material who's daughter products are alpha emitters (why it leads to an increased risk of lung cancer). Both kill.

even Stanford uni confirms that being six feet from a smoker outdoors (even when directly downwind) is nothing to be concerned about.

But still, those concerned about second hand smoke outdoors should be doing everything they can to safeguard their health by: not living a sedentary lifestyle (including sitting at a desk all day, even if you exercise otherwise), not allowing yourself to become chronically lonely, not cooking with a gas stove, avoiding tanning salons, avoiding alcohol, and ensuring that you get at least 6-7 hours sleep every night as ANY ONE of these lifestyle factors is just as statistically lethal as smoking first hand.

car exhaust is mostly toxins, cigarette smoke contains traces of radioactive material who's daughter products are alpha emitters (why it leads to an increased risk of lung cancer). Both kill.

I always say, once I quit smoking I'll get run over by a Greyhound bus. Bus's kill too.

even Stanford uni confirms that being six feet from a smoker outdoors (even when directly downwind) is nothing to be concerned about.

But still, those concerned about second hand smoke outdoors should be doing everything they can to safeguard their health by: not living a sedentary lifestyle (including sitting at a desk all day, even if you exercise otherwise), not allowing yourself to become chronically lonely, not cooking with a gas stove, avoiding tanning salons, avoiding alcohol, and ensuring that you get at least 6-7 hours sleep every night as ANY ONE of these lifestyle factors is just as statistically lethal as smoking first hand.

Shit, I'm doomed. I smoke occasionally, I have a gas stove, I sleep about 5 hours/night I drink copious amounts of alcohol and I sit at a desk all day.

At least I get plenty of exercise.

Still, I think I'm already living on borrowed time.

I just rewatched "Basic Instinct" on arte TV, and I noticed how smoking runs through the movie as a leitmotif in the picture and dialogue. The first encounter of Nick, the detective, and Catherine shows her smoking. Nick is proud of having recently quit smoking, but Catherine predicts he won't be able to keep at it – and she is right. In the famous interrogation scene, Catherine lights a cigarette and responds to the cop pointing out that smoking is not allowed with a nonchalant: "What are you going to do? Arrest me for smoking?" Later, Nick will repeat the same sentences when he is questioned. After struggling with Catherine in the interrogation, the cops need a drink at the bar. Nick had an alcohol and cocaine problem, and his relapse into smoking is the ouverture to his attraction towards this ambiguous woman.

It's interesting to see how this movie from 1992 already uses smoking as a metaphor for what is within society's norms and what is not. On one side, the sensible attitude (non-smoking), on the other the subversive, dark, dangerous, but attractive (Catherine, constantly smoking). It anticipates the degree of moral, almost neo-puritanical judgement with which smoking is ostracised in some societies now.*

*Disclaimer: I'm a non-smoker, but the radicalism of some anti-smokers ideas (e.g. ban smoking in public spaces) baffles me.