Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Price difference, recommendations on town to live

10 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am considering a job that would have me covering accounts from Nuremberg, Bamberg and (Ingolstadt and Regensburg) rarely.

I know I am going to be on the road quite a bit. Most of my business will be in Nuremberg or north. I am going to be given a company car and have expenses paid for this. I will be the sole provider for my family (wife and 2 year old)

I am moving to Germany from the United States. I will have a relocation service help me establish residence and such. I of course, will have to address and state what area I would like to focus on for a residence.

So, My question is: Which city/town would you recommend as far as the best quality of life but also affordability?

I think that in a larger city, with more to offer, such as shops, services, parks, restaurants, medical services, would be better.

So, which of these areas would you say are more family friendly, ease of transportation?

I thank you for your reading this and your response.

Best Regards,

2dresq

It's really going to depend on you...I think Nuremberg and Bamberg are similar in terms of price, and both are beautiful cities. Bamberg is quite a bit smaller, but both have the infrastructure.

I work in Erlangen and have colleagues from both Nuremberg and Bamberg.

One thing to consider is that if you also have some travel to Ingolstadt and Regensburg, Nuremberg is more central than Bamberg as a base. It is more international too - more English spoken than in Bamberg.

Thank you for your reply. I was looking at Erlangen as a place of interest as well. As the headquarters for Siemens, it seems like it should have some turn over as people move in and out.

I have vacationed one time in Southern Germany. I spent much of my time in Munich and did trips to Dachau, Regensburg, Passau. I have never been up to Nuremberg or Bamburg before.

There are many towns and such. I will have a company car to allow me to consider living outside a major metropolitan area, but my wife and 2 year old son will need to have some community and social outlets: School, Parks, Restaurants, Shopping, Cafe's and other activities to keep busy.

I have spent some time on immowelt.de looking at properties. The prices seem to be the same for the most part.

When I come over, I will have a relocation agent helping me navigate through things like signing my rental contract and registration at the local Einwohnermeldeamt. Getting me situated with other administration aspects and helping me wade in to this big change.

Any recommendations or personal accounts are very helpful.

Best Regards,

2dresq

The turnover in apartments in Erlangen is more in the student sector than in the Siemens one. Siemens people don't come and go that much - but as with Ingolstadt, one big company like Siemens manages to ensure that prices in Erlangen are higher than in the surrounding cities (like Bamberg and Nuremberg, which you already mentioned), which is why I didn't suggest it to you initially, as you asked about price comparisons.

Erlangen also has some nice architecture, so it depends on how small you want to go - it's too small for me (and I also don't like banging into colleagues throughout my weekend ;) ).

If prices is your main consideration, Fürth is also on the public transport lines.

You will have to define what you need more closely, or spend a few weeks checking out the various areas. The cities, even the smaller ones, like Fürth, have all the shops, transport, restaurants, cafés etc..

As someone who's done the Nuremburg-Bamberg trek before (lived there couple years ago) I can recommend Nuremberg because:

1. It's centrally located and easy to commute in both directions. I was working in both Bamberg (north) and Amberg (southeast) and the drive is pretty easy.
  2. It's a large enough city with lots to offer for mom and tot, including lots of English-speaking support (check out the Nuremberg International Children's English - NICE - group for a great community of English-speaking moms and kids of all ages).
  3. The public transport system in Nbg is very nice, which is important if mom and tot don't have a separate car themselves.
  4. Generally less expensive than other larger cities, with a variety of decent, inexpensive neighborhoods outside the city center (we lived in Ziegelstein).
  5. It has a good airport which is located on the U-Bahn system just outside town, which flies to major hubs in Germany and throughout Europe.
  6. Lots of international flavor -- restaurants, shops, large groceries with decent international sections.

As far as cities go, I'm incredibly fond of Nuremberg. It's large enough to have everything you need, small enough not to be crazy, centrally located, and well-connected to other areas through rail and air.

Just my two cents worth.

Big fan of Nuremberg myself, techgirl. After Munich, it is a hugely relaxing experience living here :-)

I personally love Bamberg for the many lovely beergardens with excellent and cheap food and the bicycle trails. However, what kind of school are you considering for your child(ren)? I would make that a crucial point and look for a place to live close to the school chosen.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I had no idea about the prices being possibly higher in Erlangen than other areas like Nuremberg or Bamberg.

Those little tidbits of information are priceless.

Fürth is a wonderful recommendation and one we will have to check out. Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz for example, I have no idea what kind of town this is. Is this a small community, a residential area with many of their residents commuting to Nuremberg or is this a self sufficient town where many of the population works in their town?

Traffic concerns are another question and concern. Is there more traffic on the 3, 6, 9 or 73.

My biggest concern is I am looking for a small to medium sized town/city that has enough of the population to be tolerant of new people who are improving and learning German, that has decent transportation options such as bus, train, metro or S/U-bahn if offered. The feel of the town and things being uniquely German such as beer gardens, old cathedrals, town centers with cobblestone streets are just some of the flair that is of course, welcome.

Price is not the biggest concern, it is the location and overall feel and amenities of the town you are in that make your place special. This is what I am hoping to hear from the reviews. Personal experiences, anecdotes, and recommendations. People with families and kids are extremely helpful as I have a young son and wife. What schooling or issues have you discovered? Is the international school recommended or perhaps another private institution vs the public education system?

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Justin

2dresq

What schooling or issues have you discovered? Is the international school recommended or perhaps another private institution vs the public education system?

There is an international school in Erlangen. When my kids were attending the International School Mainfranken near Schweinfurt there was a child who commuted from Bamberg. So this can be done (they used to pick up kids from the railway station in Schweinfurt) as well.

If you will be staying long-term and if your child is still at elementary school age I´d recommend to consider a Montessori school for reasons I explained e. g. Relocating young family and Kindergarten / School for Child in Germany and Primary schools in Celle for non German speakers and Montessori and Alternative Education Systems and Moving to Freiburg with family of 4 and Waldorf schooling for children.

Hi,

I would recommend to get a place in Nürnberg if you want to enjoy some culture and also want to have people around you.

If you need to travel a lot make sure your place is close to an Autobahn, e.g. Neutstadt in der Oberpfalz has very good connection and is between Nürnberg and Regensburg.

Ingolstadt I would avoid as it is not a pretty place to live. Regensburg is very pretty but also very expensive.