Parking tickets received outside Germany

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

I was wondering what are the consequences of not paying parking or traffic tickets (on my Germany-registered car) I may get outside Germany, for example in Sweden, Holland, Czech, Ferance...

Thanks

Depends if those countries have treaties/data exchange laws with Germany. If the Don't

then they can't get the registration details, and the ticket is thus useless.

I can tell you for a fact, that the Netherlands deff. has such an agreement with Germany

and easily forwards any tickets to the car's Registered owner via mail. As for the others..

No idea..

At the end of the EUCARIS Wikipedia article there's a table that describes what kind of vehicle and license information European countries are currently exchanging.

Even though only France, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands are exchanging traffic fine information that doesn't mean that you can collect tickets in all other countries with impunity. In case of a violation in Italy for example, you won't get a fine from the German authorities, but you might (and I know for a fact drivers sometimes do) get a fine from the Italian authorities. Italy will have access to your car registration information and will post you the fine notice. Not paying the fine can have consequences if you return to Italy. If you get stopped for some reason you might be required to pay the fine on the spot, your car might get towed from the street when you least expect it, etc.

It all really depends on the severity of your transgressions. A minor parking violation might not have serious consequences or might not even be chased up at all, but if you start collecting speeding tickets across Europe someone might decide to do something about it.

Keyword is Vollstreckungsverfahren

Theoretically all EU states can chase you in Germany if the fine plus cost of chasing you is more than 70 euro.

Not paying the fine can have consequences if you return to Italy. If you get stopped for some reason you might be required to pay the fine on the spot, your car might get towed from the street when you least expect it, etc.

Yes, but each country has its own time limit after which the fine expires (Bußgeld Verjährung). In Italy it's 5 years, in France and Belgium minor tickets expire after 1 year:

http://www.bussgeldkatalog.ws/ausland/verjaehrung/

Last week I got a 60 euro parking ticket in Gent, Belgium. I'm debating whether to pay it now and be done with it or wait and see if they find me here in Germany. From reading the ticket I think it says they will add 25 euros if they have to come after me. What are your thoughts?

Crap just got a parking ticket in Stockholm because my tire was a bit over the kerb so it's a fine for parking on the sidewalk! 1200 crowns. Anyone know how the Swedes deal with this for a German registered car?

Ouch - 1200 krona is around €115. I believe the threshold for exchanging data between states for traffic violations is €75, so they'll request (and get) your address from the KBA in Flensburg. You'll most likely get your ticket in the mail.

21 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Crap just got a parking ticket in Stockholm because my tire was a bit over the kerb so it's a fine for parking on the sidewalk! 1200 crowns. Anyone know how the Swedes deal with this for a German registered car?

in October 2005 I got 4 speeding tickets from the flash radar camera things on the autobahn in Switzerland while driving a German registered rental car. In the summer of 2006 while I was deployed to Iraq I got the tickets in the mail. It might take a while but they will find you.

3 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I think that you have no choice to but pay these days.  They can trace EU registered cars and impose fines and penalises since this law was introduced:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=LEGISSUM:l16023

And given the amount then they will probably do this.  But it might be worth challenging them first to provide proof (if they haven't done this already), as often photos get misplaced and then they have to let your off!

There is some information for you here:

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/road/Vehicles/Parking-tickets/

However I can remember back at the end of the 90's a couple of colleagues of mine from the UK had their UK cars over in Stockholm where we all worked at the time.

They once got a ticket and tried to pay it.  When they found and asked the city official they were told "...well you could pay it.  But as it is a UK car then we can't trace the owner of do anything about it if you don't pay".  So they didn't pay!

So after that they would park anywhere they wanted and then pin the parking tickets up on their cubicle at work as a trophy (admired by the locals!).  Apparently "parking outside the palace is really expensive"!

46 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I believe the threshold for exchanging data between states for traffic violations is €75, so they'll request (and get) your address from the KBA in Flensburg. You'll most likely get your ticket in the mail.

A threshold, load of bollocks, that basically means anyone coming to Germany can speed and park without buying a ticket and never pay a fine, fines on average are well less than €75.00.

The answer, regardless of amount, is the EU has a system in place EUCARIS where the transfer of information is exchanged across EU countries for Road traffic offences.  

In addition if fines are not paid they will legally transfer the fine to the EU Country where the offender resides and the law of that land will apply. See here

@kaffeemitmilch just wait a letter will soon arrive. I've had a few fines from other EU countries for speeding and I just kick myself for being a knob and pay them. Nothing else you can do and don't even bother trying to challenge them as I once did in Belgium, it can cost you bucket loads if you try.

On 7/6/2014, 3:28:36, drifterwayfarer said:

I was wondering.....

I always like it when topics start off like this...e.g. "I was wondering if setting my neighbor's house on fire would result in...." or "I was wondering if someone was really hungry and they "borrowed" some food from a grocery store..." as if the OPs were laying in a hammock and these thoughts just came to mind.

Ha ha. I was wondering if admitting crimes on an internet public forum such as this has ever resulted in a criminal prosecution.

Don't police officers troll these sites too?

Fuck, so wait for it in the mail? I saw other cars with regular parking tickets for not moving them for street cleaning and they were only charged 850. What the fuck is their problem? A bit of a wheel on the kerb!!! That is NOT parking on the sidewalk. If it comes in the mail, some say contest it, some say don't? The issue is it's my father in law's van we borrowed. I wonder if he'll be ok with us contesting it... goddamn Swedes and their overpriced sterile bourgeois haven.

That link on contesting says I need to visit the police in person. I've left Stockholm. It also says they don't deal with private company issued tickets. I wonder if mine was issued by such.

I guess I'll call them and ask anonymously...

How is having a wheel on the sidewalk not parking on the sidewalk? It takes you 10 seconds to take the wheel off the curb before you leave. If you’re parking like that, or even completely on the sidewalk, it’s obvious you risk a ticket...

Because  they are tough about cars obstructing/ impeding pedestrians, baby buggies, wheelchairs, visually impaired on the pavements, the fines are high.

Call and speak to them, but lesson learned!

One thing is certain, @kaffeemitmilch

If in the future you drive into Stockholm you won't be parking on the pavement or on the street without a valid parking ticket again.

Its expensive like that in many parts of the UK too these days. It might be brutal but its probably more effective than issuing fines for the relatively paltry amounts they do here.

People probably contest them more often here because they are so low and losing their appeal only increases their loss by a couple of cents on the Euro.

You'd save yourself more stress if not money if you just wrote it off as Lehrgeld.

Lehrgeld - what you have to pay for an experience you could have avoided with foresight.

2B