Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

State schools in Erlangen

3 posts in this topic

my son has had a shocking 5th year education-wise in munich (that is saying something as we have lived in both nz and canada so my expectations were already low). we like erlangen but his year at FIS is full. his german is very good for a newbie and he says he would rather go to a supportive german school than move back to an english speaking country (: . with all the dramas of the past year i am nervous about the ramifications of another regrettable year. cannot keep shifting him around and he will need a supportive environment, something promised but not delivered by the private gymnasium this past year. he's pretty bright and is sport gifted.

does anyone know anything about erlangen german/ state schools? assume they absorb english speaking kids from time to time - have parents been happy, did it work out? appreciate your thoughts. very disappointed with german education system thus far.

I joined a public Gymnasium in 1972 after living in Germany for 14 months. Luckily for me, I have a natural talent for languages, and while my German was far from perfect at the time it was enough to keep up.

The education that I received there (I did the full nine years) would have cost a fortune in the US, it was comprehensive, thorough and enlightening. Give it a try for a year and see what results you get.

You don't say what exactly the problems were that your son had in Munich. Erlangen is still Bavaria so the school system will be the same, although like anywhere there are good schools and not so good ones.

Im always slightly suspicious of parents who say things like "hes pretty bright and gifted" and then he has a terrible time. Why does he need a "supportive environment"? Does he have special needs?

The German school system, flawed though it may be, still manages to generate some of the most skilled and productive people on earth, so it must do something right. Like any school system, some people flourish better than others, but it may be a good idea to get a real handle on what exactly went wrong for your son in order to cater to his needs.