Passport renewal situation (UK)

134 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, theGman said:

Yea, I gotta agree with snowing about this. I am not quite sure why you are making a big deal out of it. If you want to postpone your trip then that's up to you, but otherwise I would just take whatever you have (German passport, expired UK passport, UK birth certificate) and explain when you get there.

I went to the UK 2 weeks ago. Myself (dual national) took my British passport. Kid (dual national) took German passport. Wife (German national) took German passport. None of us got a stamp.

The US rule of Americans having to enter the country on a US passport is very specific to the US. The UK makes no such requirement.

You are British regardless of whether you have a British passport to hand or not. Unless you renounce your citizenship, you will be travelling to the UK as a British citizen, even if your passport has been lost, expired or you've never even had one.

I lost my passport once in LA airport just before flying back to the UK. When I arrived at passport control I just explained the situation, showed a couple of bank cards, and they waived me on through.

50 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Her German passport has expired and she's still waiting for her UK one, if that line above is correct.

I don't think I would be travelling with no valid ID either.

If the German one is in date, then whatever. Of course you can travel with any valid ID. They literally don't care.

We travelled back to the UK with kid#2 who, despite repeated reminders, had left his British passport at home. I was quite peeved and told him that he could come as far as Hook with us, and then, when rejected at the border for travelling with just his Perso, he could catch a train back home. At the border, I announced that we had our idiot son with us who had come without the correct ID and they just shrugged, said they really didn't care, and on we went, through the Koninklijke Marechausee and the Border Force with no-one giving the smallest toss (so my point was completely lost on kid#2, but hey). That was pre-Brexit so now the Perso wouldn't work, but the principle of not caring about which valid passport is the same.

If it feels bad, just tell them you've been waiting for your new passport. The system is quite broke in the UK, and no sign of a quick mend, so no-one will bat an eyelid.

Kiplette is correct.

I have no valid ID for travelling out of Schengen at the moment as my German passport has also expired. If you and Snowing want to believe I am making a big deal out of it go ahead...

I cannot travel to the UK on my German ID card, I need a passport, whether it be German or British. Personal preference a British passport. It just shows me noone bothers to read posts correctly...

33 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Kiplette is correct.

I have no valid ID for travelling out of Schengen at the moment as my German passport has also expired. If you and Snowing want to believe I am making a big deal out of it go ahead...

I cannot travel to the UK on my German ID card, I need a passport, whether it be German or British. Personal preference a British passport. It just shows me noone bothers to read posts correctly...

Ah okay. You are right, I didn't read properly. The conversation that followed about what is "right and wrong" was then moot. You can apply for an express Reisepass in Germany if you wanted, you may still have enough time.

On 25/03/2022, 19:10:36, Chelski said:

Especially as we haven't been back since early March 2020. I'm sure I'll shed a tear when we dock at Dover.

Hopefully not on a P&O ferry!

Exactly.

We need to go back for kid#1's graduation, in Sheffield - guess which route is the obvious one and guess who is now going to be driving hours up the M1 because P&O are arses :( It's so frustrating.

What a mess.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Hopefully not on a P&O ferry!

Ha! We experimented with Stena/P&O/DFDS in the early days. Basically whatever was the cheapest. But we've stuck with DFDS for the last ten years. Ships just seem so much more modern and cleaner inside the passenger areas. We use Dunkirk to Dover now (saves the extra hour to Calais) and is less busy. Never had any hassle.

And their customer services are really lovely. Before booking our lastest trip I found an old email/credit note from July 2020 so I gave them a call:

DFDS: "DFDS. Mary speaking"

Chelski: "Hi Mary, I'm Chelski and I've found this old credit note from 2020. Which I think has sadly expired. We weren't able to travel due to Covid restrictions. Could you check for me. Please?"

DFDS: "Of course Chelski."

(Reservation/credit note numbers exchanged)

DFDS: "Hmm... it appears it has expired Chelski. Can I just put you on hold for a moment?"

Chelski: "Sure Mary".

(30 secs later)

DFDS: "Hi Chelski. My supervisor has reactivated your credit note and you now have a €144 credit on your account. But you must make your new reservation over the phone direct with us. Would you like to do that now?"

Chelski (silently fist-pumping the air): "Why not Mary".

Another two minutes of further convo, during which nice DFDS Mary asked me to stay on the phone, my new email confirmation for our new summer booking arrived. Less the €144.

They're good people.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

We need to go back for kid#1's graduation, in Sheffield - guess which route is the obvious one and guess who is now going to be driving hours up the M1 because P&O are arses :( It's so frustrating.

That would be the P&O route to Hull?

We've tried it a few times when visting friends in Leeds and Newcastle. I've found it extortionately priced (captive audience), especially for dinner and breakfast, whilst sleeping in a two-berth prison cell. At sea.

But driving from Dover to Leeds/Newcastle (or Sheffield!) isn't much fun either after seven hours on the continent, three hours doing boat stuff, and then heading oop North for another six hours.

It's grim. Both driving and being oop North.

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, innit?

I loved P and O Rotterdam to Hull, used it several times, do not remember it being expensive, took my own food. The crossing is a bit short, it would be nice to sleep longer. Arriving at Hull is great, you are on the freeway in no time.

I shall stop using it when Hamburg - Harwich is reintroduced😉

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

I loved P and O Rotterdam to Hull, used it several times,

I used the route Hull - Europort at the end of the 1970s / early 1980s.  Cannot recall who the operator was then.

Was handy for the motorway over to where I used to live in Cheshire (close to Junction 19 of the M6).

On one trip from Europost to Hull the normal ferry was down in the Falklands & they had hire a smaller finish boat.

It was going to be stormy & the crew were having fun displaying sick-bags as the PAxs looked for their cabins.

I enjoyed my dinner, spent a few minute chatting with the girl at the Black Jack table (no takers) whilst the spray from the waves washed over the front windows.

Somehow I had a great night's sleep.

Thanks for sharing these experiences. I have always flown back to the UK from Germany. When I visted France I took the ferry from Calais/Dover, and once travelled on  a hoverboat. The hoverboat was a really exciting experience.:wub: It was at night so the sea looked black in the moonlight.

19 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

I loved P and O Rotterdam to Hull, used it several times, do not remember it being expensive, took my own food. The crossing is a bit short, it would be nice to sleep longerhere 

That's where the Hook of Holland to Newcastle comes in handy, much longer to sleep, but not much use if you don't want to to to Newcastle! 

Have done Rotterdam to Hull, very pleasant and also 'can't remember wherefrom' to Harwich. 

Hovercraft, agreed that was fun. 

Mostly use the chunnel now, quickest option when heading down south.   

I just cannot forgive them for those scrambled eggs they served at breakfast on Hull to Hook. Will remember the aftermath till my dying day.

4 hours ago, optimista said:

I just cannot forgive them for those scrambled eggs they served at breakfast on Hull to Hook. Will remember the aftermath till my dying day.

I was feeling a bit seasick on Harwich to Hamburg, a staff member suggested I should have some food😕

I think that might be appropriate on a long voyage, days or weeks, but not on a 20-hour crossing.

My last memory of crossing the choppy Channel by hovercraft many many moons ago was suffering violently from the fragrance of of the posh stinky cheese I'd stowed under the seat ... no cool bag in my student days!

55 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

My last memory of crossing the choppy Channel by hovercraft many many moons ago was suffering violently from the fragrance of of the posh stinky cheese I'd stowed under the seat ... no cool bag in my student days!

Oh, that was you, was it?

Oh, HH! The forbidden fruit- the stinky one! I may be wrong but I think you can be fined for smuggling one into a hotel in Asia.

Dare devils have tried it as an ice cream.

Had a stinky blue cheese for breakfast this morning ( with bread, of course!). 

It's what enlightened people do!😂

Oh god hovercraft.  The great thing about ferries is being able to be outside (most of the time), see the waves and sky, and feel the wind.    Seagulls.  Approaching land.  Being stuck inside was a horror for me.  Plus alll the puke.  Some of it mine.   Never an indoor person on a ferry even now.  Slept on deck rather than a cabin.  Nearer the lifeboats too.

Vierling, two years old when we visited England, began to tremble and whimper as the Hovercraft, like a big black monstrosity, rose out of the sea and roared and shuddered its way to the dock where we were waiting in Calais (I think). That's all I remember of it. The round-trip itself must have been uneventful, or else that introductory experience blanked everything else.

We used to travel on it here and there but I am struggling to remember anything at all about it except it was noisy and I was worried about being sucked under it. My sympathies lie with Vierling. Horrid thing.

When we recently applied for UK passport renewals for my daughters, it didn't look like they were going to come on time, so we applied for German passports.  The German passports  came in 3 weeks.  In the end the UK passport of one daughter arrived a couple of days before we travelled and for the other arrived 30 minutes before we left for the airport.  I would have quite happily let them travel on the German passports.  I will probably get a German passport in the future as it always gets stressful at renewal time.  And you can get a German express passport in 3 working days.  Our local Bürgerbüro knew when we were travelling and said if the passports weren't there a week before we travelled to give them a call and they would make sure they got there on time.