Passport renewal situation (UK)

134 posts in this topic

My documents were signed for on the 4th and likewise I got many messages reminding me to send my documents. Yesterday I finally got a message saying they had received them, so I think they are just very slow at the moment. I'm guessing that means it's unlikely I'll get the passport back before I need to travel there in April, 

As they asked for feedback on the online process, I kindly did so and pointed out how daft it is to send 32 pages (or however many it was) of paper. If I can upload a picture, why can't I upload a pdf of the passport. 

58 minutes ago, skadi said:

My documents were signed for on the 4th and likewise I got many messages reminding me to send my documents. Yesterday I finally got a message saying they had received them, so I think they are just very slow at the moment. I'm guessing that means it's unlikely I'll get the passport back before I need to travel there in April, 

As they asked for feedback on the online process, I kindly did so and pointed out how daft it is to send 32 pages (or however many it was) of paper. If I can upload a picture, why can't I upload a pdf of the passport. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. Ditto. I was hoping to visit the UK over Easter. Guess I can forget that as well :(

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Ditto. I was hoping to visit the UK over Easter. Guess I can forget that as well :(

Why? Can you not use your German passport? That's what I will do. 

4 hours ago, skadi said:

Absolutely this.  There is no strict requirement about having to enter UK with a British passport.   As far as they are concerned you are just a tourist coming for a holiday.  If challenged (very unlikely) just be honest.  If you have proof of birth certificate or expired passport or passport renewal details it will be a breeze.  And not that tricky even without.

Yeah, I'll travel on my new Irish (EU) passport in August. From everything I've read, it'll get me from Weinheim to Eastbourne with no challenges. As will Mrs Chelski's new German (EU) passport as we're coming as tourists.

Forget the Maldives. Forget Fiji. Six days at the beach in Eastbourne!

Especially as we haven't been back since early March 2020. I'm sure I'll shed a tear when we dock at Dover.

Old rivers run deep.

On topic edit: My UK passport expires in October so I could renew it prior to our trip but that would give it 10+ years validity which is a no-no when entering the UK. Can anyone confirm?

On 25.3.2022, 12:28:12, skadi said:

Because it has expired.

Plus you cannot get a visa waiver if you are a British citizen... why would you? Seriously. I am travelling as a British citizen back home... it's the right thing to do...

You use your British passport to enter the UK and German ID or passport to reenter Germany like the Americans with dual nationality have to... since Brexit unless you want a nice stamp you can only stay for 3 months in your German passport...

20 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Absolutely this.  There is no strict requirement about having to enter UK with a British passport.   As far as they are concerned you are just a tourist coming for a holiday.  If challenged (very unlikely) just be honest.  If you have proof of birth certificate or expired passport or passport renewal details it will be a breeze.  And not that tricky even without.

Risk the 3 months you can stay stamp in your German passport?

My parents visted me and they are not dual nationals. There is a German stamp in their passports saying they can only stay for 3 months.

I also signed a form when I was naturalised stating in the UK and territories I am a British Citizen and that German government are not responsible for me, so I will travel on my British passport to the UK.

Up to the individual if they want to risk it.

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

6 months on German passport in the UK.

So? I don't want that in my German passport, plus mine has expired. I am waiting for my British passport. I will book my trip back home when I have my British passport.

18 hours ago, Chelski said:

On topic edit: My UK passport expires in October so I could renew it prior to our trip but that would give it 10+ years validity which is a no-no when entering the UK. Can anyone confirm?

I had to renew my passport when my surname changed. I didn't get any extra time on it. They don't do that. It was vaild for 5 more years, and came back with the surname change also valid for 5 years. You need 6 months left on it. So up to April you can use it, then you need to renew it. If you go onto the UK passport website you can ask them for advice, either call the hotline or fill in the form, they reply within 72 hours. Maybe better if you need professional advice.

I also recommend anyone who is a dual national call and get professional advice before entering the UK on a German passport or otherwise. It maybe harmless, or a massive paperwork shitstorm could ensue. Is it worth it? A phone call or fill in a form where someone replies within 72 hours... I recommend speaking to a professional from the UK passport agency.

It was my experience that I did not even get a stamp.    I talked my way round it, and they believed me, and let me in without one,    But they advised  to take birth certificate with me on future trips, which I did (plus an expired British passport).   I am not sure why you do not want a 6 month stamp in your German passport, but sure, it is up to you.  And the UK, unlike some countries, does not require you to enter on a British passport.   They just laughed and agreed when I said it was such an expensive passport, as my reason.

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

It was my experience that I did not even get a stamp.    I talked my way round it, and they believed me, and let me in without one,    But they advised  to take birth certificate with me on future trips, which I did (plus an expired British passport).   I am not sure why you do not want a 6 month stamp in your German passport, but sure, it is up to you.  And the UK, unlike some countries, does not require you to enter on a British passport.   They just laughed and agreed when I said it was such an expensive passport, as my reason.

Why? Because it is a lie. I am a British citizen. I should travel to the UK as one.

A 6 or 3 month stamp in your British Passport when you return to Germany? What exactly would happen then? Think about it carefully.

Enter Germany as a German and the UK as a British citizen. The Americans have to as well if they have dual nationality.

I just would not risk it, but is up to the individual what they decide to do. I still recommend talking to a professional from the UK passport agency in all cases.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

You use your British passport to enter the UK and German ID or passport to reenter Germany like the Americans with dual nationality have to... since Brexit unless you want a nice stamp you can only stay for 3 months in your German passport...

And likewise, as a non-EU ( 🇺🇸 ) person with an EU residency I was firmly instructed to always present both passport and Aufenthaltstitel together when entering Schengen/EU.  That avoids them clocking me in on a tourist/wrong visa.

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Why? Because it is a lie. I am a British citizen. I should travel to the UK as one.

Perhaps this is your opinion, but the UK has no such rule.  Germany perhaps.  But I am speaking of the UK.  It is not a "lie".

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Perhaps this is your opinion, but the UK has no such rule.  Germany perhaps.  But I am speaking of the UK.  It is not a "lie".

Yes it is a lie.

A stamp saying I can stay 6 months? As a British Citizen I can live in my country and am not restricted to a 6 month stay!

I never got stamp in my passport.  I just explained the situation.  Showed them my birth cert and expired passport as back up, as it has photo too.

You are being very weird about this.   If you rock up at the border acting weird, it will be more difficult that a sane British citizen establishing their rights.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

I never got stamp in my passport.  I just explained the situation.  Showed them my birth cert and expired passport as back up, as it has photo too.

You are being very weird about this.   If you rock up at the border acting weird, it will be more difficult that a sane British citizen establishing their rights.

You think it is weird I wish to enter the UK as a British citizen on my British passport and enter Germany as a German citizen with a German Passport, ID card. Well, just your opinion. Glad it all worked out for you ok. I prefer to have both passports /ID.

Why would anyone need to establish their rights if they have the correct paperwork? This makes no logical sense to me.

I'm just following the advice of my fellow American friends who have dual nationality.

Even before Brexit, I always entered the UK with a British passport and returned using my German ID. It just seemed the logical right thing to do.

On 3/26/2022, 8:32:06, Anna66 said:

You think it is weird I wish to enter the UK as a British citizen on my British passport and enter Germany as a German citizen with a German Passport, ID card. Well, just your opinion. Glad it all worked out for you ok. I prefer to have both passports /ID.

Why would anyone need to establish their rights if they have the correct paperwork? This makes no logical sense to me.

I'm just following the advice of my fellow American friends who have dual nationality.

Even before Brexit, I always entered the UK with a British passport and returned using my German ID. It just seemed the logical right thing to do.

Yea, I gotta agree with snowing about this. I am not quite sure why you are making a big deal out of it. If you want to postpone your trip then that's up to you, but otherwise I would just take whatever you have (German passport, expired UK passport, UK birth certificate) and explain when you get there.

I went to the UK 2 weeks ago. Myself (dual national) took my British passport. Kid (dual national) took German passport. Wife (German national) took German passport. None of us got a stamp.

The US rule of Americans having to enter the country on a US passport is very specific to the US. The UK makes no such requirement.

On 3/26/2022, 2:04:46, Anna66 said:

You are British regardless of whether you have a British passport to hand or not. Unless you renounce your citizenship, you will be travelling to the UK as a British citizen, even if your passport has been lost, expired or you've never even had one.

I lost my passport once in LA airport just before flying back to the UK. When I arrived at passport control I just explained the situation, showed a couple of bank cards, and they waived me on through.

On 26/03/2022, 13:19:15, Anna66 said:
On 25/03/2022, 12:28:12, skadi said:

Because it has expired.

Her German passport has expired and she's still waiting for her UK one, if that line above is correct.

I don't think I would be travelling with no valid ID either.

If the German one is in date, then whatever. Of course you can travel with any valid ID. They literally don't care.

We travelled back to the UK with kid#2 who, despite repeated reminders, had left his British passport at home. I was quite peeved and told him that he could come as far as Hook with us, and then, when rejected at the border for travelling with just his Perso, he could catch a train back home. At the border, I announced that we had our idiot son with us who had come without the correct ID and they just shrugged, said they really didn't care, and on we went, through the Koninklijke Marechausee and the Border Force with no-one giving the smallest toss (so my point was completely lost on kid#2, but hey). That was pre-Brexit so now the Perso wouldn't work, but the principle of not caring about which valid passport is the same.

If it feels bad, just tell them you've been waiting for your new passport. The system is quite broke in the UK, and no sign of a quick mend, so no-one will bat an eyelid.