Passport renewal situation (UK)

59 posts in this topic

I got my son's passport renewed. It took 1 or 2 weeks from them receiving it but I was surprised at how quick it was. I don't think I signed for it but I could be wrong. I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

Mine was renewed middle last year, took about a week after the sent showed up and I had to sign for it. 

1 hour ago, SusieT said:

Mine was renewed middle last year, took about a week after the sent showed up and I had to sign for it. 

Thanks, who was it delivered by? DHL?

1 hour ago, Janx Spirit said:

Thanks, who was it delivered by? DHL?

My normal postman delivered it for me

I did it late 2019, so not COVID times

yeah, they sent back my new passport  and said I would have to sign for it.

DHL tried 3 times to deliver it to me, but I was at work, because they did not tell me when they would come.

I rang them up, because I thought they may return it to the sender ...

I live South East Munich, they want me to go to North west Munich to pick it up, and I had to show my passport to get the package.

I explained  to them that my new passport was in the package, so I could not show them it, the call ended so after 

A couple of days later the package was in my post box, the neighbor did not sign for it, or anything. I just emptied the post box, opened the package and there was my new passport.

2 hours ago, SusieT said:

My normal postman delivered it for me

At least around our way the "normal postman" doubles up as DHL for small & medium packages.

Jesus fucking H, the postman/courier (who knows) just left mine next to the the lift on the ground floor of my apartment building. I live on the fourth floor. He did ring the doorbell, bless him, I even said through the intercom, "vierte Stock".

It's blue and not very well made, which saddens me. So the €122 fee including the around €30 "Courier fee" was money well spent.

Fuckers.

Edit:

And fuck it, why not tell the whole story. I was sent notification from the passport office on Friday that it had been sent, so I've been sitting like a lemon for nearly a week, waiting for the fucking thing.

Belongs in "Flumoxed" methinks...

My British passport expired in January of this year, and because of the hassle of getting photos, etc I only just got around to applying for a renewal.

Once you have the right photos - I went to a local photo studio, and they checked the British passport specifications, etc to be sure that the photos would be okay, and filled out the forms online this morning.

The forms seemed a lot easier to fill than those I remember from 2011, and there wasn´t even the part where somebody else has to confirm that they know you!

So, I have just posted my old passport to the passport office in Durham, and will wait and see how long it all takes.

If anybody else is kind of struggling to "get round to" renewing their passport, all I can say is that it is easy-peasy!

6 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Once you have the right photos - I went to a local photo studio, and they checked the British passport specifications, etc to be sure that the photos would be okay, and filled out the forms online this morning.

You don't actually have to go to a photo studio any more, you can take the photo with your phone, so much easier.

1 minute ago, Tap said:

You don't actually have to go to a photo studio any more, you can take the photo with your phone, so much easier.

Agreed.  I've done it recently and you upload a photo from your phone.  It actually checks online whether it is acceptable or not but if you follow the guidelines it usually is. 

4 minutes ago, Tap said:

True, but I find that they can take far better photos than I can!

On 05/08/2021, 11:48:27, robinson100 said:

My British passport expired in January of this year, and because of the hassle of getting photos, etc I only just got around to applying for a renewal.

The forms seemed a lot easier to fill than those I remember from 2011, and there wasn´t even the part where somebody else has to confirm that they know you!

So, I have just posted my old passport to the passport office in Durham, and will wait and see how long it all takes.

If anybody else is kind of struggling to "get round to" renewing their passport, all I can say is that it is easy-peasy!

Received my new passport this evening - just after 6pm, so it took about 5 weeks from the day I sent it off.

Personally, I was very impressed by the service.

Congrats, rob! Durham? I renewed mine about three years ago and I think I sent my old passport to Belfast. But I might be wrong! I remember a young man from a courier service on his motorbike arriving in the village here with my new and old passport. It was quick. About three weeks or so.

Has anyone else applied for a UK passport renewal recently?  Is 5 weeks about the norm? In the past they used to say 4-5 weeks and it would arrive in less than 2.  Now they are saying 11 weeks, so I guess 5 sounds about right.

I sent my passport in for renewal about two years ago. They first rejected my application because

the photo I sent them was the same one as I had used for my German passport the previous year,

so I had to have a new picture taken and sent that in. Processing took about four weeks after I submitted

all necessary documents and DHL just put the envelope with the new passport into my letter box. The 

following week I received the old passport  back, but this time DHL rang the bell and delivered it 

to me personally. 

Thanks Tammodar but I was hoping for more recent experiences, particularly post-Brexit.  They are saying in can take up to 11 weeks, which is more than twice what they said in the past.  Robinson100 has posted that it took five weeks, I am just wondering if that is typical.  Five weeks will probably just about be ok.  I am actually hoping it won't be as fast as in the past as we might be away. 

Sending the passports back was more complicated than in the past.  The lady at the post office said they had to go as a 'Päckchen' not in an envelope as it now has to have customs info on the pack.  We used to have a lovely lady at the post office, but the new one is not so nice and always treats me as an idiot for not knowing the latest posting rules.  She also complained because I filled the customs forms out in the post office, saying that was inconvenient for her other customers, who had to queue outside and that I should have gone home to do it.  (Only 2 customers at a time allowed in.)  It was a lovely sunny day though so I really didn't see an issue.

I was sending two passports back and they have to go back separately as the address includes the tracking code.  I checked very carefully but am still paranoid that I might have got the passports mixed up.  She also didn't like that I didn't put a value on the customs form, but I wrote that they are expired, so hopefully is not an issue.

Mine was sent on April 16th and arrived on the 22nd. Just be aware :

On 22/04/2021, 14:11:18, Janx Spirit said:

Jesus fucking H, the postman/courier (who knows) just left mine next to the the lift on the ground floor of my apartment building. I live on the fourth floor. He did ring the doorbell, bless him, I even said through the intercom, "vierte Stock".

It's blue and not very well made, which saddens me. So the €122 fee including the around €30 "Courier fee" was money well spent.

Fuckers.

Edit:

And fuck it, why not tell the whole story. I was sent notification from the passport office on Friday that it had been sent, so I've been sitting like a lemon for nearly a week, waiting for the fucking thing.

Belongs in "Flumoxed" methinks...

And the same thing happened a few days later with my cancelled passport!