Passport renewal situation (UK)

134 posts in this topic

You could be a beglaubigte kope from your local  Rathaus, which is better than just a photocopy. 

God, don't go down the stolen route.  That will mean filing (a false) police report.  So if you were then stopped by the police and asked for ID, you would have to show them the document you claim was stolen!  And if for some reason the UK don't believe you (although Germany is not India and you have probably not sold it to someone) they can really show things down.

34 minutes ago, CarleyJS said:

I am very unwilling to send my passport back as it's my only legitimate form of ID (Germany not really counting driving licences) and I travel a lot.

1. Go to Bundespolizei with your passport and ask them if they can issue you a temporary passport (Notreisepass). It will not be enough to travel to the US, for example, but within EU/EEA/CH you're ok.

2.I hope you don't carry your passport when you travel within Germany. This is not necessary. You can do almost everything with your driving license including police ID check, except money operations at your local bank branch.

10 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

2.I hope you don't carry your passport when you travel within Germany. This is not necessary. You can do almost everything with your driving license including police ID check, except money operations at your local bank branch.

Even with my UK paper licence with no photo? 

18 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Even with my UK paper licence with no photo? 

Mmm, no, with no photo is worse. But you definitely have a medical insurance card, it does have photo.

If you're reluctant to send your passport back and you really can't arrange your travel around it and you can't manage with a drivers license or an emergency travel document should the need arise, then do the renewal in person in London, UK. You'll only be without a passport for 4 hours then. You'll need to call up to make the appointment, but you can choose the date it's scheduled.

Just saw a post from Zwiebelfisch from a year or so ago- you DO get the old one back before the new one arrives. This happened to me the other week and I was disappointed, thinking it was the new one.

2 hours ago, CarleyJS said:

Hello!

I would like a bit of help on this topic. I am very unwilling to send my passport back as it's my only legitimate form of ID (Germany not really counting driving licences) and I travel a lot. I read above that a few people have sent photocopies, which seems like a great idea but how do you get around the part where the website insists you register sending passports back?

Should I just say that I have lost it? 

TIA

It means photocopying the whole passport, in colour.  Explain you need to keep original for travel.

And yes- send it registered, so you can track it.

Hi Carley,

Similar experience here. I took advantage of the extension due to travelling a lot and sent off for the new one after it had expired.

I got a returning family member to post it on 4th Feb 2016 from England. I had my old one back in my hands on 15th Feb and new one on 16th Feb. Add a couple of days if you're posting from here - but not at all bad I thought, and the rudimentary status updates put my mind at ease, so at least I knew they had received it and when they started working on it.

Or you could pay extra and spend a day getting an express one next time you're in the UK if it doesn't expire before then.

I applied for my last passport when I was 25 and at that time used a couple of photos I found lying around from my student days. I was skinny and teenagery looking. The new photo was slightly fuzzy (thanks fotofix!) I'm probably 15KG heavier and sporting a scruffy beard - and my signature looks nothing like my old one. I was a bit worried but they accepted it, no problem.

The courier insisted on a signature for the old one. For the new one, despite requiring a mandatory signature was just stuffed into the letterbox... but at least I have it.

As John g. says, make copies. I just copied the vital bits in colour - not every visa entry page. Having it saved in an email also means that with a smartphone you can produce it immediately if need be.

I got my old passport delivered by a courier  (yes, only only colour and one light!). No cars were coming, so she got out the car and i singed. When the new passport arrived with a different courier, we met at the supermarket for the signature!!!! They hadn´t informed me it had arrived because i´m in Greece and Greek companies won´t phone a German mobile number!!!!!

I contacted HM Passport Office, who told me it had been delivered and was on hold and put me through to the courier agency!!!! 

On top of everything else in my life at the moment I also had to renew my passport.

I'm a chauffeur for a living and often have to drive VIPs to neighbouring countries so I ticked the box on the renewal form to say I wasn't sending my old one back.

I immediately received a mail from the UK passport office saying the old one had to be returned, even though this is / was my only UK form of ID.

The new one arrived today after a turn-around time of three weeks including a short delay for them waiting for my old passport.

So not a bad turn-around time.

I had enquired at the local Rathaus to ask if they could supply me with any kind of temporary form of ID but they would only do this if the Consulate in Munich would supply a letter saying my old passport must be returned to the UK and there was no other option. They wouldn't.

I don't carry my passport or driving licence around with me. What I have is a Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts.

You go along to your Einwohnermeldeamt, with your passport and a couple of passport photos, pay EUR 12 and it's done while you wait. No problem. My last one got stolen when my wallet was stolen on holiday in Mallorca. No problem.. just get another one. It slips into the back pocket of my wallet and I've only had to use it a couple of times when shops started asking for proof that you were the owner of the debit card (when you had to sign for it). Although it doesn't have my address on it, it looks suitably official for them to accept that that is me in the photo and that is my name on the piece of paper.

Just had my passport renewed using the online application and posting back the soon-to-be outdated passport. It took 13 days from me posting my old passport to receiving the new one!

One thing I hadn't realised would happen: the new passport expires 10 years after the expiration date of the old passport, but starts from the date of issue so the total validity time is 10 years plus a few months. There's no harm in renewing early, therefore.

My husband and I are in the process of waiting for our renewed passports. We applied online and had to send the paperwork to Liverpool. First one pays online. My husbands old passport came back ages ago, but they failed my passport-photos so I had to send another set. Be careful if you wear glasses,I couldnt see anything wrong with my photos, no reflection or glare, but they said the rims covered part of the eyelid.On  the new set I sent  I didnt wear glasses.

My husband and I are in the process of waiting for our renewed passports. We applied online and had to send the paperwork to Liverpool. First one pays online. My husbands old passport came back ages ago, but they failed my passport-photos so I had to send another set. Be careful if you wear glasses,I couldnt see anything wrong with my photos, no reflection or glare, but they said the rims covered part of the eyelid.On  the new set I sent  I didnt wear glasses.

Im had a similar problem but with visa

Impressive turn-around for UK passport renewal from Germany: two weeks + 2 days (with New Year in between!).  Estimate was 4 weeks (from passport office).

I applied online starting here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

The first hiccup was with the photo - I'd gone to local photo folks (who did my passport photos 10 & maybe 20 years ago).

This time digital photo sent to me from shop via e-mail.  I uploaded this & klugscheisser software rejected it saying my mouth was probably open (it wasn't).

It gave option to submit new photo or state why I believed this photo was OK.  I entered my reasons & pressed Submit.

It again claimed photo unsuitable & I should enter my reasons why it should be used. 

After a few times round this circle it was obviously that their web software was in a dead loop.  Back to shop, new photo (kostenlos) & that worked.

Next hiccup was paying: it refused to accept my UK bank debit card.  Turns out bank had cancelled it due to non-use since 2015!
German credit card worked.

Finally system instructed me to send old passport by post & specified what was to go on envelope.  I posted same day.

There followed a series of e-mails with each change in status (below is from the web access they also provide):

Application history
Status                                     Date
Passport printed and sent     3:14pm on 10 January 2018
Application approved            4:20pm on 9 January 2018
Joined processing queue     12:09pm on 4 January 2018
Old passport received          11:34am on 4 January 2018
Application received             2:43pm on 27 December 2017
Application submitted           2:43pm on 27 December 2017

Today (12-January) DHL delivered two large courier envelopes: one with old (cancelled) passport & the other with the new one.  My wife signed for them.

Pretty impressive I reckon - 12 working days with about half that going for the post.

I also have replacement UK debit card so we're all set to visit the UK in April...

Has anyone received their passport mid-Covid?

Do you have to sign for it / be present and how long did it take to arrive after the "sent" notification?

Application history
Status Date
Passport printed and sent 9:55pm on 16 April 2021
Application approved 5:03pm on 16 April 2021
New photo received 2:21pm on 16 April 2021
Photo rejected 1:50pm on 16 April 2021
Documents received 9:18am on 14 April 2021

Cheers me dears :)