Passport renewal situation (UK)

39 posts in this topic

Information reference the current Passport situation at the following link: http://www.wired-gov.net/wg/news.nsf/articles/Additional+measures+in+place+overseas+to+help+British+Nationals+who+need+a+new+or+replacement+passport+19062014111500

So I called the Munich consulate on Tuesday to see what I need to do currently. I was advised it's all new to them and they needed a little time to work out the system so only call if it's really urgent for the next three weeks.

What I did find out is that to travel to the USA on an extended passport I'd need a visa. You can't use the visa waiver program.

As I understand it the system has changed. You no longer renew your passport through Dusseldorf.

In the end I've used the online application and sent the required documentation to Liverpool. As I travel a lot I've sent them a photocopy of my current passport.

Seems a bit of a mess.

I renewed my British passport online from here in Toronto. Seemed more complicated than it turned out to be. They asked for any other valid passports ( different countries), as well as current Brit passport. As I did not want to be left without a passport ( dual citizenship), I used the section to explain I was only sending a photocopy of Canadian passport as I planned a holiday soon.

I did send an email asking whether they had received my application, and got an immediate reply.

My Uk passport arrived in 3 weeks.

I've always renewed mine at the British consulate general in Duessledorf.

Düsseldorf is now out of the equation. You apply and pay online and send a signed declaration and supporting documentation direct to UK. The new passport is then sent from UK.

Given current delays in processing you can also currently apply for a 12 month extension (processed by the nearest consulate) on an expiring passport for free while things improve.

Just got our new passports this morning after 6 weeks with a 1 month extension.

As my passport was due to expire yesterday I called the Munich Consulate number last week to ask about an extension.

Firstly the Munich Consulate number (089 211 090) goes directly to a help desk in Berlin which initially offers various automated options and none of my three telephones made the correct tone(s) so I just had to wait until after three repetitions of the menu it finally transferred me to a person.

To cut a long story short it took four days of retries before I finally managed to get transferred to a real person in Munich who gave me an appointment for yesterday (Monday 2nd March 2015).

They needed a photo ID (driving licence was OK), another 'official' document showing my address (eg. utility bill, anmeldung ... etc) and my current passport.

I completed a further form at the Consulate, they checked my documents and then my passport in their database (which took a while as they were having problems with this) and then stamped my passport with a 12-month extension at no cost.

This extension was a temporary measure created last year due to the backlog problems in the UK passport office and they did tell me yesterday that the backlog in the UK is now cleared and they expect the extensions to be stopped sometime very soon now. They even said they know of one person in Munich who recently received their new UK passport within 2 weeks.

Hi everyone,

Did anyone recently send a passport to UK for renewal?

Was wondering how long it is taking at moment?

Thanks

Cyan 

I did it earlier this year and instead of the 6 weeks I was informed it could take, I got it back in less than 3.

Just make sure you send everything required, not forgetting to get a witness to sign the back of the photos you provide. I almost missed that point but everything is described in detail in the instructions they make available for download.

Must you be at home (and sign for) a posted from uk passport?

I can imagine a lot of people miss the postman visit.

No.  You do not need to sign for it.  I renewed mine a few weeks ago and it came last week, overall about 3 weeks even with the strike.  Was in a white envelope inside a normal large yellow dhl envelope.  Interestingly I didnt get my old passport back, not sure why as the info seems to suggest I would.

And as it was a renewal I *didnt* get the photos signed.

Interestingly I didnt get my old passport back, not sure why as the info seems to suggest I would.

Usually the old passport comes in a separate envelope a day or two away from the new one. 

I also did mine recently.  Also took only about 2-3 weeks. I DID have to sign for mine though when it came back. Yep, the old one comes separately afterwards.

We did our son's in the last few weeks and were quite shocked that we DIDN'T have to sign for it - it was just stuck in the letterbox for anyone to take. Not the fault of Deuteche Post - the passport office hadn't instructed otherwise

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the feedback. It actually arrived back yesterday. It only took 2 weeks from the date when the passport office received it. Much better then last year, when I did my other daughters one! Just for information for others you also need a countersignature on child renewals if child is under 12.   

Thanks

Cyan

Hello!

I would like a bit of help on this topic. I am very unwilling to send my passport back as it's my only legitimate form of ID (Germany not really counting driving licences) and I travel a lot. I read above that a few people have sent photocopies, which seems like a great idea but how do you get around the part where the website insists you register sending passports back?

Should I just say that I have lost it? 

TIA

No, don´t say you´ve lost it, Carley. They will want some kind of proof you´ve been to the police or whatever.You must send the original - make photocopies of your passport and store on your computer etc while you´re in Germany. Just been through the process myself - took about 4-5 weeks. Make sure you get appropriate photos done..with a grey background etc. You need to look at those instructions online

PS: you don´t need to get the two photos signed on the back by person with a respectable job to state this is a true likeness of you IF the new photos show a close enough resemblance to how you look on your expiring passport.

I got away with looking ten years older and the worse for wear but enough similarity was there!:lol: