Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Treatment for Parkinson's Disease

15 posts in this topic

i am new in munich and i have come with a scholarship from max planck institute. i will be in munich for nine months. my father is suffering from parkinson's. he is bed ridden. he is in india. i feel terribly helpless for him. no medicine is working for him.i will like to know if there is any medication for parkinson's available in germany . if any one knows about any doctor who treats parkinson's and with whom i can discuss about my father's treatment., please let me know . i will appreciate

If I remember I will check our listing directory at the office tommorrow, and ask one my secretaries about it. And let you know.

My PhD was related to Parkinson's Disease so I have some understanding of the horror of watching a loved one slowly lock up, trapped inside this disease. You, your father and your other relatives have my profound sympathy.

Has your father received any treatment so far? The traditional treatment for many years has been L-dopa but it comes with complications over sustained treatment. More recentz dopamine agonist therapies have some of the same drawbacks but work better for some people. There are also Acetylcholine blockers that appear to have a positive effect on tremor symptoms.

Surgically some promising results have been found with chronically implanted electrodes that seem to switch off parkinsonian symptoms. I believe such surgery is available in the UK and USA but not sure where else.

There is also the potential for stem cell therapy but that is a long way off.

I found this from a web page www.kompetenznetz-parkinsons.de

Regionalzentrum MÜNCHEN MPI

Max-Planck-Institut für Psychiatrie

-Neurologie-

Kraepelinstr. 10

80804 München

Leiter des Regionalzentrums

PD Dr. med. Frank Weber

Tel: 089-30622-463 oder -473

Fax: 089-30622-562

E-mail: fweber@mpipsykl.mpg.de

Rolle der Institution im Kompetenznetz

Hi

I watched a programm on Implant Acupuncture last year. Apparently Dr. Werth in Madeberg has had much success treating Parkinsons with implanting a permanent needle in patients earlobes.

I heard it is quite costly though. Do not personally know anyone who has had this done though. But apparently some patients could reduce their medication drastically. Found it very interesting.

Check out his website:

http://www.dr-ulrich-werth.de/

accupuncture can be helpful in very early symptomatic parkinsonism but the OP's father is bedridden which makes it sounds as if the disease is several years advanced. I would assume therefore that ear accuppuncture would be worse than useless in late parkinsonism as the false hope would be likely to excacerbate depressive symptoms.

My boyfriend`s Father passed away about a month ago and today his Mother has been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

I don`t know what to say or how I can help.

Robinson, so sorry to hear of loss and  the Parkinson's diagnosis.

Treatment has certainly improved over the last 40-50 years., but it is still a terrible disease. 

You will be a great support.

I don't think there is anything you can say, as for helping it's for them to know you're there as and when they need help. Awful illness, we have a lady in the home with the latter stages, shan't say anymore unless you want to know.

Thanks guys.

My boyfriend finally had a chat with her doctor yesterday, and apparently, she should have gone to see a neurologist over a year ago, but has kept it secret from the whole family!

Guess who will be dragging his Mother to a neurologist ASAP?

If you have ever met a family that doesn`t communicate with each other, then this is one of them!

In the same way as there is not one form of dementia, there is not one form of Parkinson's.

Wait for the daignosis, the prognosis, and then take it from there, is my advice. My father had some form of non-degenerative Parkinson's. His left hand used to shake, his ability to walk was affected, and there was definitely some disturbance of cognitive functions, but (with medication) his condition remained relatively stable for many years.

No, I'm not a doctor, but one of my brothers is, and you learn a lot along the way with something like this. 

My mother has lived with Parkinson's for years. She first started showing signs of it in 2006 and got diagnosed a bit later. In the beginning they said it wasn't Parkinson's but something similar. The medications don't work too well for her either. She had problems with dizziness and falling if she was on them and stiffness, freezing up and falling when she wasn't. She has also had hallucinations from them. 

Your boyfriend's mother should talk with her doctors about her treatment plan. I've read about brain surgery in some cases, medical marijuana, being able to ride a bike even when ppl have problems walking. She should definitely not sit on the couch and feel sorry for herself. With a disease like that, if you stop moving you will soon no longer be able to.

On 2.10.2019, 12:18:41, LeonG said:

Your boyfriend's mother should talk with her doctors about her treatment plan. She should definitely not sit on the couch and feel sorry for herself. With a disease like that, if you stop moving you will soon no longer be able to.

If my boyfriend hadn`t of gone to see the Doc himself, he wouldn`t even know what is wrong with he - apparently, the Doc has been trying to get her to go and see a neurologist for a year and a half! This, she has kept quiet from the rest of the family, but she now has the earliest possible appointment that my BF could get - January 27th next year!!!

He`s gonna have another chat with the Doc on Monday and see if she can`t somehow get her "squeezed-in" a bit earlier!

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

If my boyfriend hadn`t of gone to see the Doc himself, he wouldn`t even know what is wrong with he - apparently, the Doc has been trying to get her to go and see a neurologist for a year and a half! This, she has kept quiet from the rest of the family, but she now has the earliest possible appointment that my BF could get - January 27th next year!!!

He`s gonna have another chat with the Doc on Monday and see if she can`t somehow get her "squeezed-in" a bit earlier!

She needs to get a talking to.  She can ignore it but it will not just go away.

I know Leon, I know!

they really aren`t the kind of family that talk to each other, which is difficult enough, but with her becoming ill, I fear it can only get worse!