Paragliding sites around Munich?

15 posts in this topic

I'm moving to Munich (Maxvorstadt) this week and am looking to get acquainted with fellow paragliders and to get to know about nice flying sites. I have had my PP4-level license since last summer and am continuously working on my skills. I am an independent pilot, but would like to get to know new sites together with other pilots.

I did my license in Tirol, but would like to try sites within ~1h drive from Munich. I have a car, so I can also offer a ride to the sites :) Since I will start my new job soon I will only be available for paragliding on weekends and national holidays - office hours and paragliding are not the best of buddies unfortunately :rolleyes:

If you want to know anything more about me, just send PM. Looking forward to hearing from you!

They seem not only to be in the mountains - last week (Monday 16th June) as I was flying Westwards in my glider/sailplane in the vicinity of Eichstätt (that is in Bavaria) I saw this paraglider suspended under the middle of a large cloud - I was under the edge of that cloud at about 2500 m NN & this guy was higher.

Freezing level was 2400 m NN!

You might want to contact this user on TT.

I know there is a centre on Brauneck in Lenggries and I see gliders flying around a lot there when visiting inlaws weekend.

Good luck. I haven't flown for 20 years but loved it back then. Not allowed by my kids anymore.

The OP isn't looking for gliders, rather paragliding (known to us as "Teebeutel").

Gliders is like wot I fly (best flying hols ever this year: 5 flights, 28 hours, 1850 kms, best was 482 kms).

Sory, I was abbreviating. I meant paragliders!

Hi there,

Have a look at my brother's webpage. www.rauteralex.com

Paragliding is his passion and he has been doing it for 27 years now. I'm flying myself but only started a year ago. I live in Munich too but go to my home town "Lermoos" in Austria quite often which is great for flying. Hahnenkamm in Reutte is another option. I can give you more names if you are interested. Let me know :-)

Cheers,

Conny

Thanks for all the replies. I will be happy to do some research on the suggested flying sites and recommended pilots, and do welcome all additional recommendations :)

In the original post I mentioned 1h radius from Munich, which is clearly not a must, but more of a curiosity to know if any possible places exist so close. Even the ones that are less than 2h are fine, especially if someone is willing to make a paragliding date and to show me around the flying site before getting up in the air :)

I am most familiar with Stubaital flying sites close to Innsbruck, and even though it's 2h from Munich also, I would like to get to know new sites.

A start such as the linked Tegelberg would not be my first choice: I am good with alpine starts but not very experienced with reverse launches. Eager to learn that too, so if someone is willing to guide with that..? :)

Keep the suggestions going - and please PM if you are willing to fly together.

we're having a great season in bavaria this year! hope the weather plays along for the balance of the summer. don't be too intimidated by the tegelberg launch... they start students off that launch on their first high flights! you don't have to know how to reverse launch to start from there, and there are usually lots of friendly pilots around to help. you do have to make sure your paperwork is in order though - that means license and insurance documentation. buchenberg and hannenkamm are just up the road for even more beginner friendly launches. have fun in the air!!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, Izabella! My paperwork is in order, but a good reminder to keep everything with me. Tegelberg might be tempting, and if reverse launch is not necessary I just might want to try it out. Maybe I could just take a trip down there some time on a good day and hope to have some guidance from pilots that are present - both with the start and the landing area.

send me an email in advance if you decide to come to tberg, and i'll make sure you're well taken care of! isabella messenger (at) gmail (dot) com

just saw from your profile you are from finland - one of my great paragliding girlfriends is also finnish. you two must meet! not so many ladies paragliding from that corner of the world :-)

Hey folks! I recently moved to Munich and am looking for flying partners/places to fly here in Bavaria.  I figured I'd start with this post before starting a new thread.

I'm a P2 with under 20 hours. I've flown east and west coast in the States and down in Andalusia, where I did most of my flying. If there's anywhere to build up flights and experience, southern Bavaria has to be on the list so I'm excited to get back in the air.

Ultimately, I would like to join the DHV and pursue a German license. But since I'm already a P2 with multiple flights from various launches and landings, I'd really like to avoid going through the whole process of intro/first flights/etc. There is still plenty for me to learn, just not at the "this is a wing" level. If anyone knows of a school which offers this kind of trading or a pilot transition course, I'd much appreciate it.

And, of course if anyone wants a flying partner or even simply to carpool to sites, let me know. I have no problem staying on the ground if it's too active for me and just learning from more experienced pilots, or running retrieves for folks who go XC.

Thanks and blue skies!

Hi all!

I am also a new pilot and I am also new in the Munich area (I live in Starnberg). I did my license in Allgäu and Süd Tirol and I am now looking for flying partners to go explore the Alps South of Munich. 

Cheers, Laura