The future of English football

75 posts in this topic

I sat there this evening, in our local irish pub, in my England shirt, surrounded by Germans.

I was the lone voice that cheered when Rooney scored. (You would all have been proud of me)

But to loose against... not Uruguay... but Suarez... at talent (and he is a talent) nurtured in England...

that hurts... it almost feels like treason!

The premier league is the most represented at the world cup. That might be great for the Premier league but it's not for England.

So guys and gals... it seems the FA need us to help them... 'cos they are failing.

What should the FA do to ensure we can advance and eventually bring the World Cup home?

When you say "The future of English Football" it just sounds way too optimistic. :P Like there could be a future of some sort.

The issue isn't the number of foreign players in the Premier League, it's the fact that the English system isn't generating enough English players that are good enough to play in that Premier League. PL teams have to sign foreigners because that's the only way they can compete in Europe. The same discussion has gone on in Scotland for the past 20 years, but obviously few people darn sarf have paid attention.

To me, the main problem is the reliance on schools to provide the grass roots of the system. With all the changes to the education system, health & safety laws etc, schools are no longer the place to train raw talent. The youth teams I know of are that, teams. Compare that to Germany, France or The Netherlands, for instance. There, when your kid is 5 or 6 and they want to play football, they join a club and get to play. The cream will rise to the top, but it can do that at its own pace, in its own time.

And then, let kids play with the ball. Stop the focus on strength and speed and endurance; those will either be there or come when the kid grows into an adult. I have heard so many people complain that they really enjoyed playing football but hated being told "you're too puny". Just let them go out and kick the ball, dribble it, get them to learn what effect they have on the ball.

More cash is probably going to be needed, but I feel that it's not the amount but the use of it that's holding English football back.

Like most people I know, I was cheering for Uruguay to win.

It's deeply satisfying to watch England loose at sport!

Can't wait to watch the AB's beat them at rugby on Saturday :P

The issue isn't the number of foreign players in the Premier League, it's the fact that the English system isn't generating enough English players that are good enough to play in that Premier League. PL teams have to sign foreigners because that's the only way they can compete in Europe.

I'm not sure if it is because the English players are not good enough more the fact they're so bloody expensive.

Wenger is a master at buying bargains,from France mostly,why spend 10m on a promising English youngster when you can go abroad and pay a 10th of that for a player of the same promise.

Luke Shaw is being talked about for a 30m move to Man Utd.30m for an as yet unproven LB when you can go abroad and pick up an established international for half that.

To me, the main problem is the reliance on schools to provide the grass roots of the system. With all the changes to the education system, health & safety laws etc, schools are no longer the place to train raw talent. The youth teams I know of are that, teams. Compare that to Germany, France or The Netherlands, for instance. There, when your kid is 5 or 6 and they want to play football, they join a club and get to play. The cream will rise to the top, but it can do that at its own pace, in its own time.

Excellent points but unfortunately the people who get to decide this sort of thing have not much clue about football.

And then, let kids play with the ball. Stop the focus on strength and speed and endurance; those will either be there or come when the kid grows into an adult. I have heard so many people complain that they really enjoyed playing football but hated being told "you're too puny". Just let them go out and kick the ball, dribble it, get them to learn what effect they have on the ball.

Once again this is a "suits" problem.

More cash is probably going to be needed, but I feel that it's not the amount but the use of it that's holding English football back.

The true English disease and it's what afflicts the NHS too.

The way I viewed the match last night there are 2 major problems in the England team today:

1) Gary Cahill.

First goal, Suarez ran in a straight line between 5 English players, with Cahill at the centre, and wasn't even seen by any of them. England's player of the year running straight at our defense and nobody thought it would be a good idea to mark him.

Second goal, Cahill "springs" the offside trap. Only the trigger seems a bit rusty and the trap fires a full second after the pass is played. Plus Suarez craps on Cahill in a fair foot race so better not to give him the head-start in the first place.

2) Unimaginative offense.

I can only watch 10 minutes of England repeatedly trying the identical offensive manouvre before I give up on getting a result. Ball wide to the winger, high and slow cross to 2 strikers marked by 5 defenders. Boring. Embarrassing.

Maybe when a good defender costs the same as a star-striker thinkgs will improve for us... but then again they'll improve for the rest of the world too so why should England ever be at an advantage?

But you still can make it ... LOL.

I think the problem was a bunch of stars not playing together, which was Spain's problem too. You were used to not doing your homework and taking the first round as the preparation stage, you could see most big European teams starting playing bad and getting better towards the end. But things changed and all the small teams are making their homework and they show up ready to give the best of them from the beggining.

And there is no "best thirds" anymore, in former time there were 24 countries and 16 went into the second round, so you really had to suck in order to get kicked out on the first round. Now is is 32 countries and 16 go to the next round. So you can't show up to practice during the first round anymore.

But to loose against... not Uruguay... but Suarez... at talent (and he is a talent) nurtured in England...

Have to disagree on that. Suarez was already a star when he joined Liverpool ( €26.5 million transfer fees).

When you say "The future of English Football" it just sounds way too optimistic. Like there could be a future of some sort.

I realise this is an obvious troll attempt, but it raises an interesting prospect; is there a future for England's football team in its present form? As long as the Premier League, which is a free wheeling, huge money spinner continues to be largely populated by foreign players, there is little chance for a cohesive national squad being formed. The entire culture of football in the UK needs to change.

Premier League is a business. To keep it successful, it should attract the best players from around the world. Linking the number of foreign players in PL to England's failure will not help. I wonder why the kids coming out of the youth system in England are technically inferior to the kids from Spain, Germany or Netherlands. Surely the quality of training at early stage is lacking.

Have to disagree on that. Suarez was already a star when he joined Liverpool ( €26.5 million transfer fees).

He was a star in Holland but no where near the quality of player he is now.

26.5 million total fees is nothing nowadays.

The issue isn't the number of foreign players in the Premier League, it's the fact that the English system isn't generating enough English players that are good enough to play in that Premier League. PL teams have to sign foreigners because that's the only way they can compete in Europe. The same discussion has gone on in Scotland for the past 20 years, but obviously few people darn sarf have paid attention.

I agree with this. Clubs paying for excellent foreign football players who then of course return to their native teams in the world cup.

Premier League is a business. To keep it successful, it should attract the best players from around the world. Linking the number of foreign players in PL to England's failure will not help. I wonder why the kids coming out of the youth system in England are technically inferior to the kids from Spain, Germany or Netherlands. Surely the quality of training at early stage is lacking.

Who cares how much revenue the Premier League generates? It doesn't do anything for the England squad in the long run, and your claim that there aren't enough decent home grown British players is rubbish quite frankly, there are plenty of them, but they need to be playing for a national team that consists of teammates who have been playing in clubs that have a cohesive 'nationality based culture', and where players aren't switching clubs at the drop of a hat so they can rake in a couple more million a year.