Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Rhein-Main area

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m a Spanish engineer that has to move to Rhein-Main area this summer.

I’m gonna work in Rüsselsheim but I prefer living in Frankfurt or Wiesbaden.

I have been checking areas to live and I got a mess.

My first option is Frankfurt, I’m coming from Barcelona so I think the only place which could me make feel similar (bridging the gap) is Frankfurt. Looking at the forum I’m always seeing Bornheim, Westend-Sud, Bockenheim, Sachsenhausen but they are really expensive. To give you an example I’m living in Sants which is a district that nobody would suggest to live nevertheless I love it!.

So I’m looking for a place where keeps a relation between price and nice area with good car communication, gyms and services around, access to jogging areas…How about Gallus or Niederrad…? I found better prices there (still more expensive than Wiesbaden) but nobody suggest them as good areas. I read that Gallus is being a nicer area day-by-day due to new residential/shopping centres build up.

On the other hand Wiesbaden seems much cheaper, but I’m afraid I will be a bit bored. I’m single, 27 years-old, non-german speaker (yet), keen to do stuff!

Thanks!

And nice to meet you in advance!

I like Wiesbaden more, and It is closer than Frankfurt (closer to Russelsheim). When I arrived in this part of Germany after changing jobs (lived near Leipzig -east Germany- before) I lived 2 months in a holiday accommodation (Ferienwohnung) before deciding where to move, because I wanted to see the places first and make an informed decision. I also didn't want to pay Kaution before earning 1-2 salaries and wanted to observe the neighbourhood & the workplace conditions. You can try this option, if it is convenient for you. When living in Wiesbaden u can visit Frankfurt anytime, it's about 30 minutes by train. So, give Wiesbaden a chance too :)

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I know that wiesbaden could also be nice. That the reason I'm also checking flats there. But I really think they are very different lifestyles.

Niederrad is underrated for Frankfurt. Close to the city, close to the river, close to the forest (Stadtwald). Transport is easy and parking not nearly as bad as other parts of the city. As a single you might want to spend time in Sachsenhausen or Bornheim, but Niederrad would be good to come home to.

I live in Gallus, work in Niederrad - and I hate Niederrad with a passion, it's the pits. Where I work I couldn't even go to the chemist's if I had a headache, simply cos there's none for miles. I remember once working on a Saturday and having to feed myself junk food from the vending machine cos not even a single kiosk was open within walking distance. Nada. The place is like a lunar landscape. Granted, it is quite big so it's bound to have nicer and not-so-nice areas in it but the transport is def below par for Frankfurt - trams (slow) + buses (zzzzzz) + ONE S-Bahn every 15 minutes. Utterly ridiculous compared to any other part of town. The only places that are easy to get to from Niederrad are the central station and Sachsenhausen. Anywhere else takes ages, from 40 minutes upwards.

Gallus is not the poshest area and it certainly does nothing for your nightlife, but it's very close to the city and also, contrary to common belief, very quiet. Also, as you mentioned, it is slowly getting better. I would never ever move from Gallus to Niederrad, although I work there.

@ bariboy: my idea of living in niederrad is exactly the same, visited a friend for some weekends and there´s really nothing around.

I like Bornheim and Nordend, the rent may be too expensive there, though.

I think Gallus can be ok if u choose an area closer to the city and a little further from HBF.

There´s an advert for an apartment in Frankfurt, posted these days... maybe u should check it out.

If you want "good car communication" be aware that the most popular neighborhoods in Frankfurt: Bornheim, Bockenheim, Nordend, Westend, Sachsenhausen are terrible for parking.

What about Mainz? It's a lively town, very close to Rüsselsheim, which offers a variety of neighborhoods to pick from to suit your taste and budget. I prefer Mainz to Wiesbaden actually. Wiesbaden is a bit too posh for me. Mind you, Mainz is for the most part not downmarket either.

You might want to take a look at Seckbach or Bergen. Close to the autobahn, but with some beautiful neighborhoods, lots of fachwerk buildings, as well as easy shopping.

I live in Gallus, work in Niederrad - and I hate Niederrad with a passion, it's the pits. Where I work I couldn't even go to the chemist's if I had a headache, simply cos there's none for miles. I remember once working on a Saturday and having to feed myself junk food from the vending machine cos not even a single kiosk was open within walking distance. Nada. The place is like a lunar landscape. Granted, it is quite big so it's bound to have nicer and not-so-nice areas in it but the transport is def below par for Frankfurt - trams (slow) + buses (zzzzzz) + ONE S-Bahn every 15 minutes. Utterly ridiculous compared to any other part of town. The only places that are easy to get to from Niederrad are the central station and Sachsenhausen. Anywhere else takes ages, from 40 minutes upwards.

Gallus is not the poshest area and it certainly does nothing for your nightlife, but it's very close to the city and also, contrary to common belief, very quiet. Also, as you mentioned, it is slowly getting better. I would never ever move from Gallus to Niederrad, although I work there.

I guess you work in Niederrad Bürostadt, which I agree has almost no redeeming features. There is more to Niederrad however than just the office park. I lived for 3 years near the Uni-Klinik, which had shopping within walking distance (ReWe, bakeries, apotheke, turkish grocers). A short bike ride puts you in Sachsenhausen, Willy-Brandt Platz, a golf course or the middle of the forest. If the OP is going to be commuting by car, the connections to the A3, A5 or B43 are all very convenient.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

To be honest I'm considering Wiesbaden.

From Spain is difficult to get a good deal on flats.

I saw good flats in frankfurt but they go away in less than a week. So it is difficult to me to get them.

Wiesbaden seems easier...

Finially I will take what it is available when I go there...it's a pity.

jaja yes, I know, what it is a pity is that I won't have the oportunity of dealing more time and get a better flat, either in Frankfurt and Wiesbaden.