Car registration address change

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just wondered if anyone knew whether I need to go into the the Landratsamt to change the address on my car registration? Is there a way to do it online or by post? We bought a car a few weeks ago while we were still in temporary accommodation and we went in to register it but it was a really confusing process and nobody really spoke any English. I was with my husband for back up but this time he needs to work so I really need to do it myself. We are in Bad Homburg.

Thanks.

Normally when you change adresses you do it at the gemeinde your local council office.That should suffice as the Landratsamt will automatically be informed of your change of address

Hi Relo2

The procedure is known by the civil service in Hessen as KFZ: Zullassungsbescheinigung Halterdaten (Name/Adresse) ändern. You cannot do this kind of Adressänderungen online or by post. Assuming you have already taken care of changing your personal registered address* then the departmental address you should go to is...

FB 40.30 Führerschein und KFZ-Zulassung (Bereich KFZ-Zulassung, Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe)

Ludwig-Erhard-Anlage 1-5

61352 Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe

Opening hours: Mon, Tues, Wed: 07:30 - 14:30 Thu: 07:30 - 16:00 Fri: 07:30 - 11:00

You need to take the following documents:

• Registration certificate part I - vehicle registration (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I)
  • Registration certificate Part II - vehicle registration document (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II)
  • For companies: business registration and possibly trade register extract (Gewerbeanmeldung und ggf. Handelsregisterauszug)
  • For foreign citizens: foreign passport and certificate of registration or current registration certificate (Meldebestätigung bzw. aktuelle Meldebescheinigung)

Since 1st Nov 2009 for vehicles already registered elsewhere in Hessen you have the option to maintain the existing licence plates (tags). This option reduces the state administrative budget and saves the keeper the cost of new tags. If you wish to choose this option you should also bring with you confirmation of the vehicle insurance (Versicherungsbestätigung or eVB-Nummer).

If you engage a third party to register the change, they'll need a written authorization (Vollmacht = Limited POA) from you. In addition they need your ID document (clear copy is sufficient) to submit to the approval authority. They must also show their own identity card / passport.

Enquiries and booking of appointments:

BürgerInfoService (BIS) des Hochtaunuskreises,

Ludwig-Erhard-Anlage 3,

61352 Bad Homburg v.d. Höhe,

Tel.: 06172 999 0

E-Mail: bis@hochtaunuskreis.de.

*If not then you first need to obtain a current registration certificate (aktuelle Meldebescheinigung). You should contact the BIS re Ummeldung prior to attempting the vehicle registration address change.

PS: AFAIR there's a (relatively) small admin fee to pay for making changes to the vehicle registration data.

2B

It is just a change of address within the same town, will the department in the Rathaus where we change our residential address give this information to the Landratsamt? We've already done that part, although we have to go back as they got the house number wrong and my husband didn't notice when he signed the form!

You're welcome (!)

I'm not sure why you're posing virtually the same question again but, despite being frustrated by a sticky keyboard, throttled mobile internet access and the atrocious website of Bad Homburg (Germany's richest [or internet-stingiest?] commune) I'll try once more.

First some basics which you don't seem to have encountered yet although they are typical of German beaurocracy.

German officials are used to working strictly within the limits, legal confines and obligations of their office. Registration of citizens' address data is, according to the Magistrat of the town of Bad Homburg, no longer the responsibility of the Einwohnermeldeamt but now one of the services offered by the Rathaus' 'Buergernaehe' (citizen friendly) Stadtladen. They may, unless you checked the objection box, distribute your address to various paying telemarketing and publishing companies but, other than to the church and/or other tax collectors, they will usually only advise other officials upon receipt of an application. It is not part of their job description to make applications on behalf of citizens to other official departments for actions which are the responsibility of the individul citizen.

Vehicle (KFZ) registration (Zullassung) OTOH is the domain of an entirely diffferent species (imagine 'Buergerfern') of officialdom who, albeit they may be employed by, or even co-located within the buildings of, a local commune or district administration, rarely have any form of direct automatic contact with their local peers except upon application by same. They are well occupied contacting state and federal authorities like the central BKA (federal vehicle and drivers register), Finanzamt, Zoll, (tax and revenue), the central organisation of the German vehicle insurers and/or state and federal police forces. They will electronically confirm that all German addresses are correctly registered before proceeding with any application for vehicle or driver registration.

Now to the pertinent matter concerning you, Relo2.

BEFORE visiting the KFZ-Zullassungsamt, you need to make sure your address is correctly registered because you must submit an accurate certificate of registration or current registration certificate (Meldebestätigung bzw. aktuelle Meldebescheinigung) in order to have the address data updated on your vehicle registration.

You should take, (or email if they allow it), your existing Meldebestätigung bzw. aktuelle Meldebescheinigung to the following address citing the incorrectly noted street number (auf gruende eine falsche eingetragen Hausnummer...) and requesting an ammended version (...wir brauchen eiene geänderte Meldebestätigung bzw. aktuelle Meldebescheinigung).

Stadtladen

Magistrat der Stadt Bad Homburg v.d.Höhe

Rathausplatz 1

61343 Bad Homburg v.d.Höhe

Tel: 06172 100-3101

e-mail: stadtladen@bad-homburg.de

Then follow the procedure outlined in post#2 above.

If you need further info then please refer to these sources:

Auskunft Stadtladen | Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe

Dienstleistungen | Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe

Hessen-Finder - Finden Sie Ihre Informationen! - Leistungen von K bis L - Hochtaunuskreis - FB 90.50 BürgerInfoService (BIS) - Hochtaunuskreis - FB 40.30 Führerschein und KFZ-Zulassung (Bereich KFZ-Zulassung, Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe) - Hochtaunuskreis - FB

2B

ETA:

tl;dr Rathaus:Landratsamt MAY exchange citizen's info re local, district or state issues

Landratsamt MUST see proof of ID documents as KFZ registration data are federal (and international) matters.

ETA2: While you have your mind on updating info please click on 'My settings' at the top of your screen and alter your TT location too.

I was not asking the same question again, I was trying to clarify what the correct answer was considering I received two conflicting replies. To put it simply my question was, do I need to go in again or not? I'm guessing the answer is yes. I know I have to do the address registration first as I have already explained, we have registered our address and the car once before, therefore I am aware I need to take the registration document for the zulassung so obviously it needs to have the correct address on it.

Just to hijack this similar thread: does anyone know the process for getting a new eVB-Nummer when moving?

I tried to fill out online forms for my insurer (HDI) and was on hold for an hour without an answer, but is there any other way? I can see no easy way to do it.

Or do I have to apply for a new insurance policy? The difficulty in contacting my old one is making this a tempting prospect.