German dentists and wisdom teeth

108 posts in this topic

Maybe Jason should have looked at this thread before having his wisdom teeth pulled on thursday - he looked awful last night with both cheeks swollen.

Excellent thread -- I´ll have to try out some of the dentists that have been suggested here. I have to admit that, after 8 years of living in Germany, I still try to get appointments back in Utah when I visit the fam. I´ve tried various dentists here, but the German-trained dentists seem to really be butchers. They are not thorough, they don´t do a thorough cleaning, they don´t believe in preventive care, telling you to let the tooth rot away rather than drilling a bit to fill a cavity. They don´t explain what they are doing, and they rip you off. I asked the price of cleaning and the price in the end was tripled because I apparently have "especially hard plaque". Never heard that in my nearly 30 years of dentist´s visits. Oh, and some things appeared on the bill which I know for sure they didn´t do. Comes from being a privately insured foreigner.

When I has my wisdom teeth out in the States, I was awake but on laughing gas and shots. It´s kind of strange to hear the cracking of bone, see your head being pulled from side to side, and not caring. I couldn´t feel fluids on my face, but at some point a trickle got on my neck and I recall absently wondering whether it was blood, or just saliva. Afterwards, I had some Codeine (nice stuff). The only thing is that it took a long time for it to completely heal. For months after the stitches came out, I had a weird taste coming out of the healing wounds.

Oh, I´ve even been to an American dentist here in Munich, across from the Staatsoper. I was deeply disappointed with him, as well.

If you get the chance, go to an American dentist (just not that one). The professional training seems to be superior and makes a big difference

Oh, I´ve even been to an American dentist here in Munich, across from the Staatsoper. I was deeply disappointed with him, as well.

well, that dentist did finally get a part time American trained Dental hygienist, she works wed afternoons there. So, things are looking up.

hopefully. I seem to remember getting a non-thorough cleaning there, too.

That´s not where you work, is it, Carm?

I should confirm I was an emergency, otherwise I don't think I would have been seen as easily. Though she did fix a chip I made between the visits, so whether that was just a favour or whether I paid extra I don't know.

A friend of mine had her wisdom teeth out here in Germany and she said that they would not knock her out and that she felt some of it, and then for pain meds they gave her basically regular strength advil.

I just got two of my four Wisdom teeth pulled. I had a small gum inflammation before because my lower right wisdom tooth was trying to break out of the gum. I was prescribed an antibiotic and a painkiller (they really helped!) and I was also asked to get the wisdom teeth pulled "because they might cause problems again in future". The X-ray showed that they were not impacted (they were coming out parallel to their neighboring teeth, and were not too close to them, so not impacted in my opinion) but were hidden beneath what I think is gum. I went to an oral surgeon (Dr. Schmid, Medeco dental clinic, Dahlem, Berlin) and he asked me to get "at least" the two wisdom teeth on the right side (lower and upper) pulled although only the lower one was causing trouble.

Today afternoon I had the two teeth removed under local anesthesia, and the procedure was far from being painless. Now 4 hours after the operation I have taken a painkiller and the pain seems to be manageable. Strangely enough, I am having occasional bleeding from nose today since the operation. Lets see how it goes ahead. After reading others experiences, I consider myself lucky to have such a relatively problem free experience.

I went to see 2 dentists this week for consultations, got an X-ray at both, one said my wisdom teeth should be pulled, the other said nothing about them. They are not othering me in the slightest, so I'm not going to take them out, sounds like a whole bunch of pain for nothing to me...

If they don't hurt, don't get them pulled. If you're over 25-30 the chances are really low that they'll try to break out of the gum.

Unfortunately I'm falling in that category so they are definitely staying put, it kinda put me off the second dentist as I felt they may just be trying to get some extra business...

... it kinda put me off the second dentist as I felt they may just be trying to get some extra business...

I am sure that there is some truth in this...

Slightly OT but: yesterday I ran the Schleswig-Holstein gliding conference & since some year we run this at the Rheumaklinik in Bad Bramstedt. We get the rooms for free as the Chefarzt is an active glider pilot... My back gives some pain at time (lifting heavy things like wing roots...) so I asked him if he was "zuständig" for things like back backs. Yes said he how are you insured? Oh dear sez I: private. You should have seen his face light up. Twas same at previous dentist I had - current one doesnt seem to try it on...

If they don't hurt, don't get them pulled. If you're over 25-30 the chances are really low that they'll try to break out of the gum.

not true, depending on how they are laying they (the wisdom teeth) can still creat alot of problems periodontally (gum infection).

My boyfriend just got a couple of wisdom teeth taken out. On the instructions from the oral surgeon, it says he shouldn't eat dairy products for 3-4 days afterwards. Just curious as to why this is? As he stocked up on yoghurt before he had them out!

Bacteria. Yogurt is just one of the stages of milk spoilage.

[stopwatch clicks to time the first negative flame reply and prove a point to someone looking over my shoulder as I type this]

My boyfriend just got a couple of wisdom teeth taken out. On the instructions from the oral surgeon, it says he shouldn't eat dairy products for 3-4 days afterwards.

That's interesting. Our 15 yr old is in the process of having his wisdom teeth extracted - first one came out on Monday and he wasn't given any explicit instructions at all except not to smoke or drink alcohol, neither of which he does anyway (as far as we know -_- )

Same reason they tell you not to eat dairy products whilst on antibiotics.

[stopwatch clicks to time the first negative flame reply and prove a point to someone looking over my shoulder as I type this]

No negative flame reply here, but women taking antibiotics are encouraged to eat plain yogurt (or take acidophilus tablets) to avoid getting a yeast infection. I do know about not taking antibiotics with milk but I thought that was because the milk inhibits the effectiveness.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 16. They were all in straight, but my parents freaked out that I would need braces again if they were not removed soon. I have a small oral arch and had 4 teeth removed at 12 for braces. I have not heard of a dentist or oral surgeon yet say they are important to keep. The longer you wait to have them removed the more difficult it can be.

Definitely use an Oral Surgeon. My doctor was great an Oral Surgeon and an Lawyer- talk about a huge brain. Ask to be asleep during the procedure. You will remember nothing and that is what you want. The smells and sounds of the procedure will be something you do not want to remember, trust me. I have warned many people, some of the did not listen and more than once I have been told they wish the listened to that advice. Just think how much faster you will heal with a positive state of mind.

Good luck with your decision.

You're right on the antibiotics ... it's the calcium in milk that inhibits the effectiveness. I'll edit ccordingly.

I stand by the infection thing for the teeth.

I stand by the infection thing for the teeth.

Sure, that makes perfect sense, I'm just wondering why we weren't told about it.