German dentists and wisdom teeth

108 posts in this topic

As a follow-up to yesterday's adventure (and at my boyfriend's insistence) I went to a different dentist this morning to get him to check and see if what was done yesterday was correct. At first glance at my face this new dentist was completely shocked and kept saying 'Mein Gott' (that has been the reaction from people I have passed on the street since yesterday too - usually accompanied by gasping. I feel a bit like the Elephant man!) and then he took a look to see if my jaw was broken because the amount of swelling was suggestive of this. Thankfully it wasn't broken - which I had kinda guessed already as I think the pain would have been even worse. Whilst he said that he wasn't present during yesterday's proceedings and therefore doesn't know exactly what kind of complication had caused the six hour marathon, he did recommend that I write a letter to the Zahnärztekammer (and send photos). He also said that, in his opinion, the dentist from yesterday really should not have denied my requests to go elsewhere especially when it became apparent that she could not handle the situation.

Thankfully the swelling and pain is subsiding and I have some time off work at the moment now (am starting a new job in a couple of weeks). I am just glad the whole experience is over as it really was traumatic. It goes without saying that I will never return to that crazy bitch (from yesterday) again.

Now for today's challenge/adventure: to try and go for a walk in the sun without scaring the local kids ... and eat something that isn't in puree form (am hungry for a steak).

Poor dear! Sear a chicken breast filet in olive oil, add water and onions, let it simmer until the meat is thoroughly cooked, pour off the water and send the chicken and onions through the blender. At least it gives you the taste of meat.

Thanks, I will give that a try! Thanks also to the other people who offered expressions of sympathy or advice.

you should make an official complaint about this lady dentist.

i hope you feel better soon.

he did recommend that I write a letter to the Zahnärztekammer (and send photos).

They will probably close ranks and you can save the effort. If your second dentist was a GUTACHTER and

he made the report you might have a chance...

I don't really expect that my letter to the Zahnärztekammer will achieve much but you never know. If my complaint turns out to be one of many regarding this particular dentist, they may be forced into action against her - even if it is just issuing her a warning or making her aware that people have complained about her. Maybe in the future she will be a little more careful?

As I mentioned before, I certainly won't be giving her a second chance but I seriously hope for the sake of her other patients (and people who have the misfortune to land in her practice in the future) that she thinks twice about taking on tasks she is not capable of carrying out, and that she develops a little more sympathy for her patients. A bit of professionalism wouldn't go astray either - arguing with your assistant and repeatedly losing your temper in front of your patient is just not on as far as I am concerned.

I must say that when I first came to DE and saw each dentist in individual surgery whereas my UK dentist was a

group of several where they could ask each other for opinion I was a bit worried.

The Zahnärtzkammers are starting to lean towards the patients versions, as more patients are starting to complain and expect some sort of reaction. My bosses are often in court about things like that (not from us, but as Gutachers and Expert witnesses). I would also not pay for the appointment, and refuse to pay for it as you had to go elsewhere to get it checked out.

I had two wisdom teeth taken out last week (the last ones...had the other two taken out 6 years ago, first one was a traumatic experience, second one was a piece of cake). Have a different dentist now and he referred me to a Kieferchirurg because he wasnt confident the "operation" would be a straightforward one (something to do with roots and nerves), and a Kieferchirurg would have the experience and the means to handle the situation properly in case there were any complications.

The procedure didnt take very long, but it involved some drilling (quite a big drill that was too...and bloody loud) and more x-rays to make sure everything was taken out. I was out of work for 3 days and looked like Don Corleone on a bad day (still, not as bad as nixe seems to be...I feel for you)... I think I had 5 or 6 stitches, and the it bled for 7 or 8 hours...not nice...

I went back to the doc twice, first to check if it was healing properly, then a week later to get the stitches out. It was a bit painful, and every now and then it bothers me a bit. But nothing bad.

Considering the very unpleasant circumstance, I think the doc was pretty good. Strong Bavarian accent though, and dont know whether he speaks any English.

Dr. med. Werner Zeintl

Lindwurmstraße, 5

089 2606262

Funilly enough I'm just feeding my ex soup as he had a wisdom tooth out today...

Slowly patients are getting a little more influence.

I've mentioned it before but when I HAD to have my second one out I asked my dentist NOT to gve me a referal to the butcher at Marienplatz.

And he told me he had heared so many bad reports about that practice he no longer referred to them. Good.

It is a fact that the whole medical industry in Germany has a financial incentive to provide health services that aren't necessary for which the average man or woman in the street pays the bill.

I just paid 80euros for what I think was a root canal, a filling and fixing a chipped tooth. I went in 3 weeks ago as my face has swelled up and I was in pain and she seemed to know what she was doing. She also spoke quite good English and explained what she was doing as she went along which put me at ease (I hate dentists!).

I can't find her card, although her practice is on Hanselmannstr. in Milbertshofen and she is Dr. Betz.

Does anyone know if 80euros was about the right amount to pay? Seeing as I didn't have much choice in the matter as I looked like elephant woman and was in pain!

€80 is dirt cheap for that kind of work. Or do you have state insurance? Because then the €80 are your contribution to some fancy filling or other, but still well cheap.

I can't speak German so they could have told me I was having my entire set of teeth removed and I wouldn't have known!

I went in 3 weeks ago with a swollen face after my tooth had hurt a bit. She drilled the tooth and said to leave it a week and not bite on it, then I went back a week later and she drilled some more with what looked like mini files and put 'red sticks' in to the tooth (about 4 of them). Then she left it a week and today she put a filling over the top and told me to wait till it cracks before I get a crown on it. So I have googled it and I think it was a root canal and the dentist didnt know the english.

I am from the UK and I think I might have some sort of emergency insurance with work, though I didnt think it covered dental work.

All the fillings were white though, which in the UK you have to pay extra for?

If you paid 80 euros, you surely have some other type of insurance that you presented them with. One root canal will cost over 1000 euros all up. Also, if they did a "root canal" in one session, I doubt it actually was a root canal. Normally they drill it out and pack it and you have to come back a few times (or at least once) before they put a permanent filling in there.

I went there 3 times! I gave my EHIC card and I was sent there from work but no details were taken about work (the German doc. there just gave her my name and made the appointment).

If you have a European Health care card (EHIC) then that was your insurance. They will bill the NHS in the UK. What you paid for was probably a better filling or something.

Anyway, you've still had an excellent deal cause its so hard to see a dentist at all in the UK, let alone a good one. Over here the standards are far superior. I've suggested to friends who want to get some work done to just get this card and come for a holiday over here. You'll get top quality work with better materials (there is no such thing as metal fillings here unlike in the UK), no waiting and it'll cost you basically nothing.